The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can I fix this note in mastering? Studio Headphones
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Addict

Can I fix this note in mastering?

Hi Master Slutz,
I have a project I've been working on for quite a while. Every time I think I'm finished, I leave it alone for a while and come back to it only to realize that there is something else I can "fix in the mix." Yesterday, I think I finally got there with one exception...

The link below is to a brief, 30 second excerpt that I'm having issues with. Namely, there is a note in the "lead" guitar part that sticks out. In this case, it is a high E (12th fret, electric guitar). You can hear it on the fade in and especially once the other, jangling chord guitar parts come in underneath it. I'm not sure what it is that bugs me- perhaps I played it a little too aggresssively... It just sounds a bit tweaked and ugly.

My question(s) are these:
1. Do you agree that the note is ugly, or is this a classic case of my having lost all objective perspective?

2. If it is ugly, is it possible to fix this in mastering? I was thinking of maybe setting up an M/S matrix and trying to automate/spot notch an EQ on the M channel to tackle the problem, but I am not sure if this will work.

It bugged me a bit during mixing, and I tried to EQ it a bit then using a notch on both the fundamental and the first partial of the note, but it didn't really seem to work all that well. I ended up using the Massey Tape Head plugin which, at the time, seemed to soften it a bit and make the note a little less harsh.

I thought I was happy, but when I listened today it jumped out at me again- much to my disappointment. I really don't want to go back to the mix session for a number of reasons

Anyway, if you guys wouldn't mind giving me some perspective or possible tips on how I could fix this, I would certainly appreciate it... If you think I should go back into the mix, I'd do that to, but any strategies in that arena would also be welcome...

Cheers,
Andrew

link to excerpt
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
It doesn't bug me at all. Sounds like music...

Greg Reierson
Rare Form Mastering
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reierson View Post
It doesn't bug me at all. Sounds like music...

Greg Reierson
Rare Form Mastering
Leave it that way.
It's perfect.
If you still don't like it, you have to change it from the multitrack.
OR copy/paste it from a part further out of the 2 track.
Though i can imagine you can hear that because of the echo/reverb added.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

yeah, have to agree with the other assessments...think you're just too close to the project. sounds fine!
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

It's likely that I am among the most hyper-critical people who makes posts about other people's work...

.....and I have absolutely know idea what you're talking about. It sounds fine. One might say it even sounds.... "Good"!

The only criticism I can make is that it sounds exactly like something Steve Riech would have done more than a decade ago. It actually reminds me of a specific piece... can't place it at the moment though.

On the upside, a lot of that Reich stuff is pretty damn good.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilTooth View Post
It's likely that I am among the most hyper-critical people who makes posts about other people's work...

.....and I have absolutely know idea what you're talking about. It sounds fine. One might say it even sounds.... "Good"!

The only criticism I can make is that it sounds exactly like something Steve Riech would have done more than a decade ago. It actually reminds me of a specific piece... can't place it at the moment though.

On the upside, a lot of that Reich stuff is pretty damn good.
LOL- Cheers, FossilTooth- it is indeed a Steve Reich piece

I've been working on recording Electric Counterpoint, which was written for Pat Metheny in 1987 and released on a CD with the Kronos Quartet called Different Trains. I have always loved Reich's music, but minimalism is not really something that I take so much from when doing my own creative stuff. Sort of as a consequence, I've always wanted to perform this piece as a guitarist, so I set about the task of realizing it a while ago. It's been a long and arduous journey, but I'm almost finished, and I have learned an *enormous* amount about my studio and audio in the process. Thanks in no small part to people on GS.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your posts, and for alleviating my paranoia. I think I have become a little obsesssive compulsive about it- it goes hand in hand with the music it seems.

I think it's time to let it go now, although once I'm done with the stereo version, I would like to mix it in surround for when I play it live. I fear that's going to be whole different can of worms... Anyway, thanks again...

Cheers,
Andrew
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahler007 View Post
I would like to mix it in surround for when I play it live. I fear that's going to be whole different can of worms... Anyway, thanks again...

Cheers,
Andrew
But a rewarding one
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Dude you're trippin'. That sounds really good- I am quite picky with pitch and there is nothing intonation wise that is off. Sometimes after you hear something a thousand times it all starts to sound off. I've learned that when I'm in that zone where I love where something is at, I put it away so I won't enter that obsessive phase that follows shortly thereafter.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

It's a Leeverite.

(Leave 'er right there)
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Yes you could lower that note........you'd need to play the note again on your guitar, analyze the frequency and it's harmonics (using a hi-res FFT analyzer), then notch down all the frequencies with a digital EQ using very tight Q's.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahler007 View Post
LOL- Cheers, FossilTooth- it is indeed a Steve Reich piece

I've been working on recording Electric Counterpoint, which was written for Pat Metheny in 1987 and released on a CD with the Kronos Quartet called Different Trains.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your posts, and for alleviating my paranoia. I think I have become a little obsesssive compulsive about it- it goes hand in hand with the music it seems.
Oh, of course! I suppose that's actually one of his most Iconic pieces. Listening back to it now, I'm amazed I couldn't place it.

It's all coming back to me now. Very faithful performance. If my ear's memory serves me right, you're probably locked into exactly the same tempo as the original as well.

From this snippet, listening on trusty old AKG 240's it sounds exactly how I imagine it should.

Sounds great. Good playing too.
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilTooth View Post
It's all coming back to me now. Very faithful performance. If my ear's memory serves me right, you're probably locked into exactly the same tempo as the original as well.
Thanks again for your opinions, guys. I'm glad you think it sounds alright. Just for the record, it's not so much that the note sounds out of tune (although intonation has been somewhat of a nightmare), but just that it tends to "bark" a little bit.

But I'm over it now- life's too short!

Thanks for your comments FossilTooth- it is indeed a really cool piece of music, and I consider myself fortunate to have had the time to spend on it. If I had it to do all over again, I might tweak the metronome marks a little. It says in the score q=192, so you really can't argue that much Still, it would have been interesting to nudge the outer movements a little more and back off the second a bit.

Time Compression/Expansion plugin here I come! heh

Anyway, here's wishing everyone a good long weekend...

Cheers,
Andrew
Old 2nd September 2007
That's a mix process , or Remix.
ME don't use Autotune.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search