The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Just curious / Question about speakers
Old 29th August 2007
Just curious / Question about speakers

I´ve been to a few high end "Audiofile" speaker shops and for me or anyone with a bit of education in electronics 40% seems to be vodoo and very much untrue about speaker cables, cds in the freezer etc.......... you name it.

However, i heard talk about "playing in" a new speaker before it performs to it´s proper quality. I thought this was all strange until i realised that i have a pair of speakers that seem more dynamic and can play loader than before..

So here´s my question:
Are there a period when the foam around the speakers are well "oiled" from a lot of usage (And performs excellent) before it becomes old, dry and fragle and starts to break down??

My guess is that the M.E forum would be the place to ask about questions closer to the Voodoo Audio /Respect /Toby
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
My opinion is that all electronics and speakers need a "burn-in" time. I know a few manufacturers do this before the units ever leave the factory.
I think the "average" break-in time for a speaker is around 100-500 hours... the same for electronics and OMGtutt cables!

Regards,
Bruce

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search