The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Universal goes mastering
Old 26th August 2007

Verified Member
Universal goes mastering

Universal Mastering Studios

Is this a new place? Or have I missed something?

I got a mail from Meller saying he moved there.....

Old 26th August 2007
Gear Nut

Interesting.... BTW their site seemed extremely slow when navigating around - weird?

-D
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

interesting....
Old 26th August 2007
Craneslut

Verified Member
It's been there. IIRC, they have mastering room on both coasts...
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I can't remember the Manhattan studio's opening date - but it's definitely not new - it's been there for a while. As Brad mentioned they have mastering studios in LA as well.
Good to hear that Vlado has found a new home. Anyone have news as to what the other Sony Music Studio ME's are going to be doing?

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Slightly OT, but I don't understand the small "framed" approach to websites like theirs...

minuscule pics and tiny text... a plethora of info that's nearly impossible to read.

what is it about webmasters wanting to make small, tight, and tiny?

some sorta trendy thing or is there an actual reason for it?

JT
Old 26th August 2007
jdg
Lives for gear

Verified Member
that site has been around since about 2002, and i bet its never been updated, and/or was quickly built just for some "internet presence"

im sure they'd get the same amount business even if they didn't even have a website.
Old 27th August 2007

Verified Member
Apart from the poor website, they have been in the mastering business for some time. The L.A. operation isn't flashy, but has been in the same place in Lankershim in N. Hollywood for many years. I know a couple of those guys - good folks. They also had a little something in New Jersey for a while (not sure if it's still there), and recently expanded and revamped the New York operation. Overall they do lots of in-house and catalog stuff. The new NYC focus and addition of some new personell may see them looking outward some more.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Head

I worked out of the (Edison) New Jersey studios from 1984-1987 when it was Polygram. It was in the East Coast distribution center (warehouse) and the rooms were fine. During that period, exclusively catalog and servicing the labels. It moved a few years ago to 56th and Broadway to better serve the labels. Before Edison, the Polygram studios were located in an old stone bakery in White Plains, New York.

They're Fran Manzella rooms. He did some nice work there.

I know very little about the west coast studios. They were not there pre-Universal.

The Edison studios are gone. Man, I miss that hot dog truck out front.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWilder View Post
I worked out of the (Edison) New Jersey studios from 1984-1987 when it was Polygram. It was in the East Coast distribution center (warehouse) and the rooms were fine. During that period, exclusively catalog and servicing the labels. It moved a few years ago to 56th and Broadway to better serve the labels. Before Edison, the Polygram studios were located in an old stone bakery in White Plains, New York.

They're Fran Manzella rooms. He did some nice work there.

I know very little about the west coast studios. They were not there pre-Universal.

The Edison studios are gone. Man, I miss that hot dog truck out front.
Mark -
Is it ok to ask where you yourself are going to be mastering at now? (if you're continuing mastering that is - which it would be a serious loss to the business if you don't - although if you decide for an extended vacation on some beach paradise I wouldn't blame you) Is Sony relocating any of the mastering rooms to other facilities? Any other news of where the mastering staff is going? At least Darcy has what looks to be a really super nice workplace at Galaxy - and gotta say the food in Belgium is pretty darn good.

My sincerest apologies if the above questions comes off as rude - just very curious - and wishing you the best in dealing with the closing of your room - it threw me for a little bit when I had to deal with the same thing when Europadisk closed, but I think things have worked out for the best with opening my own place.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Head

Back when I was working at Narada (pre-Virgin ownership) I dealt with the left-coast Universal guys quite a bit as Narada had a distro deal through MCA-Universal....

Good bunch of guys for sure......

t
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I interviewed for a job in the Edison shop somewhere around 1998. I didn't get it. I don't shower regularly and I have a bad attitude but that shouldn't matter, should it? The only job I was offered at at a real place I turned down. The big leagues make me feel dirty so I would have had to start showering.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search