The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SACD recommendations? Condenser Microphones
Old 11th May 2010
Gear Addict
and just when you thought SACD was dead....Universal Japan will be releasing several new single layer SACDs on June 23rd:

"Who's Next / The Who" - New 2010 DSD Transfer from the Analog Tapes
"461 Ocean Boulevard / Eric Clapton" - New 2010 DSD Transfer from the Analog Tapes
"Every Good Boy Deserves Favour / The Moody Blues" - New 2010 DSD Transfer from the Analog Tapes
"Aja / Steely Dan" - New 2010 DSD Transfer from the Analog Tapes
"Synchronicity / The Police" - 2003 A&M SACD DSD master
"Velvet Underground and Nico / Velvet Underground" - New 2010 DSD Transfer from the Analog Tapes
"Live At Fillmore East / Allman Brothers Band" - New 2010 DSD Transfer from the Analog Tapes
"What's Going On / Marvin Gaye" - From the 2008 Mobile Fidelity DSD master
"Layla" / Derek & The Dominoes - New 2010 DSD Transfer from the Analog Tapes
"Let It Bleed / The Rolling Stones" - From the 2002 ABCKO SACD

I'd be really curious to hear some of these titles but seems like they will be very expensive (around $50US each!).

If the original poster is still looking for SACD suggestions, most sound great to me but standouts would include Beck's "Sea Change", Roxy Music's "Avalon", Dark side of the Moon, Pixies "Doolittle", Police SACDs, Billy Joel's "the Stranger"
Old 11th May 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wado1942 View Post
The RCA Living Stereo recording of "Pictures at an Exhibition". It was copied directly off of the 3-track tape to 1-bit L,C,R.
John Newton and Dirk Sobotka (Soundmirror) did great job with the RCA Living Stereo SACD series thumbsup

BTW I would also recommend their latest recording of Daphnis et Chloe - Levine/BSO (BSO Classics 2009), it was recorded in DSD.

Review:
http://www.audaud.com/article.php?ArticleID=6980
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

quite funny, suggestions for SACD/Korg test disks keep coming, even though there is (practically) no way to get a DSD signal from the disks for any kind of tests...
Old 20th May 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
quite funny, suggestions for SACD/Korg test disks keep coming, even though there is (practically) no way to get a DSD signal from the disks for any kind of tests...
What's funny? The OP wanted recommendations for SACD's that showed the true potential for DSD.
Once it's been encrypted to SACD, then you can't tell what the source was (unless it was 44.1 or 48k).

Regards,
Old 20th May 2010
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSD_Mastering View Post
What's funny? The OP wanted recommendations for SACD's that showed the true potential for DSD.
Once it's been encrypted to SACD, then you can't tell what the source was (unless it was 44.1 or 48k).
Isn't it simple to tell which are pure DSD and which are that evil PCM?

Dr. Diamond | Healing from Within

DC
Old 21st May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius van H View Post
I'm looking for some recommendations for SACD's. I've just bought a Korg MR-1000 DSD recorder and I'm looking for some SACD's to test it with (i've also got a SACD player - Sony SCD-1).
D
The way I understood it was that the OP wanted to transfer great DSD files from SACDs to his DSD Korg to test it. That is not possible in real life without using a bunch of additional professional audio gear. For that reason there is no point in recommending disks for that purpose.

It the OP just wanted reference disks to compare with his own Korg recordings with, then I am mistaken.
Old 21st May 2010
Lives for gear

Eric Bibb and Needed Time==Spirit and The Blues (Opus 3)

Tiny Island(Opus 3)

A Meeting by the River(Waterlily Acoustics)

Appalachian Journey(Sony)
Old 21st May 2010
Lives for gear

any of the RCA Living Stereo reissues. I have them all

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search