The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Proper Chain ITB
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Head

Proper Chain ITB

Ok, so I am attempting to "Master" the project myself. It is a punk band and naturally, they want the cd to be as loud as possible.

I have mixed down to 2 track 24bit/48khz and typcially, will import that file back into Sonar 5 Producer. I typically would use the Waves SSL Master Bus Comp and Izotope Ozone.

Should the SSL go before or after Ozone? I can think of numerous arguments for either.

Also, after I find the sound I'm looking for, i typcially will export that 2 track file as a 16 bit wav file and import it into cd architect for burning. Is this the proper way?

THanks to all for your help!
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
There's no "right" order of the chain. You have to listen to what you have vs. what you're shooting for and let the MIX tell you the order. You might need dynamics first - You might need EQ first. You might need EQ on both sides of dynamics. You might need limiting before compression -- or the other way around -- Or both.

Think through the chain. Especially with "goofy" plugs like Ozone... You have to adjust the chain internally anyway (again, depending on the needs of the project). So putting it before or after anything else is really a situation in itself.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Head

I guess I was thinking more about the dithering piece. The ozone manual says that ozone should be the last plugin in the chain before exporting to 16 bit, due to it's dithering functionality. I don't know how selecting the dithering option in ozone then following it up with the SSL will affect the outcome.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by electraplay View Post
I guess I was thinking more about the dithering piece. The ozone manual says that ozone should be the last plugin in the chain before exporting to 16 bit, due to it's dithering functionality. I don't know how selecting the dithering option in ozone then following it up with the SSL will affect the outcome.
Then you should probably use a second instance of ozone after the SSL just for the dither and turn the dither off of the first instance of ozone.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search