The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tape Compression DAW Software
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Blind View Post
If that was true then you wouldn't be using Waves L2. What hardware does what it does? Just some food for thought...
um ... Waves L2 hardware.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
um ... Waves L2 hardware.
LOL, nice!

Hey, I was just checking out the album you mastered for Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers on iTunes; it sounds great man!

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...05912&s=143441

Keepin it forshiznilly,

MC Blind
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
FWIW even mixing digital to tape doesn't sound nearly as good as tracking to tape. Often it doesn't sound as good as mixing to digital.

I'm not sure the improvement is distortion or compression at all but rather the relative lack of distortion in pro analog machine line stages.
I agree 100% Bob.
Mixing & tracking to tape is the ultimate use of this medium.
Bouncing digital mixes to tape, at mastering, is the poor cousin of tape useage.
The tonal effects of tracking drums and guitars to tape can never be replicated
with the stereo bounce. that's not to say it's totally useless to use this technique
on 'some' masters, however it's simply not the same. I wish it was.
Old 14th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGray View Post
Quite remarkable timing that this should be discussed... last week I set up a test sample & ran it through various tape emulations & 2 real tape machines with different speeds & tape formulas. From this I compiled a ABX test & set up a thread on Brad Blackwood's forum. You can check it out here Download the samples & judge for yourself which one you prefer the sound of. In the test samples I included an ATR-102 half inch machine with ARIA electronics with GP9, a Studer A807 1/4" machine with GP9 & RMGI 911, Cranesong HEDD, McDSP Analog Channel 2.

Take the tape challenge test for yourself...

Matt
First of all thanks for making such a test... I took the challenge!

well... there are diferences between all of them (obviously) but I really had to pay attention... meaning: it´s really a question of taste... not surprisingly all of them sounded better than the original.

Now I don´t have much experience with tape (in the early 90´s I had a band and recorded 2 albums recorded to tape) so I can´t tell/guess which file was recorded in which machine with which tape and speed and therefore I can only tell the one I like the most... it´s TAPE B hehheh. It´s the one which makes it more "round". Tape A and D sound... too "clean.. too "Hi-Fi" in comparison to B (hey!... I like it dirty... what you gonna do?). Maybe A and B even represent better the original but they are not my thing. My second favorite is TAPE F and third is TAPE C. TAPE G messes with the Stereo and is not so good as B, F or C. So there you have it... the opinion of a non-expert in tape...

I guess that TAPE A is the mcdsp plugin...

but it would be great that TAPE B would be the one made with mcdsp so I could buy it instead of a Studer heh...
Anyway... as said above I think that THE big diference is made when you record to tape... that´s something that you can´t change with plugins!!!

Regards
Old 14th October 2007

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by macleodgrant View Post
i wouldn't recommend DUY Tape, i may just sell it as it adds an unpleasant distortion to some tracks. i had it on the master buss and adjusted the input level quite low but still got a bad distortion on the signal. even iron oxide doesn't do it for me though sometimes it can be nice on some drums. i don't trust either of these plugs on the master buss. never tried TDM plugs though or windows ones.

if you want a good plugin native to add warmth and a variety of flavours, then my favourite is DUY Valve in the everpack. this is a great plugin and sounds better than DUY Tape imo though the fx is slightly different. honestly, you'd be surprised what this plug can do and it doesn't add unpleasant distortion though you can push it harder if you want.

the URS Channel Strip Pro plug has a very nice input stage that adds a great quality and has tape emulation built in. i haven't had a chance to try out the comp and eq properly yet though
I'm no expert on using tape in general, although I've worked on several albums that were at least partially tracked to tape, and lots of mix sessions ending up on tape.

I've got the Massey Tapehead, and it's great for blending things in, and generally taming things that seem to evade regular EQing and compression (over fizzy guitars for example). But I'd never put it on the mix buss - individual channels only.
Old 14th October 2007
Mastering

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Blind View Post
If that was true then you wouldn't be using Waves L2. What hardware does what it does? Just some food for thought...

MC Blind
Maybe I'm confused by your post, but the L2 is not expected to be a tape emulator! It certainly does not do what tape does, except in the sense that softer transients can be more pleasing to the ear. The L2 is just part of that "nutritious diet". Often there are several pieces in a row in my chain, each doing just a small part of the job.

BK
Old 14th October 2007
Gear Maniac

Best tape compression I've ever heard was coming out from Studer c37.

P.s. Hi Bob!
Old 16th October 2007
Gear Maniac

Lavry's Digital Saturation is his emulation of overdriven tape. Sometimes it gets used in mastering
Old 16th October 2007
Mastering

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioS View Post
Best tape compression I've ever heard was coming out from Studer c37.

P.s. Hi Bob!
Hi, Sergio. I found the playback electronics of my C37 to be spongey. I prefer the playback electronics of the MR70 I have jacked onto my C37. I suspect if I got rid of the mercury vapor regulator and put in a solid state the C37 playback would be significantly better.
Old 15th November 2007
Gear Head

Hi,

I'm using the JB Ferox plugin to add some tape effect on some of my mastering work. It's free downloadable here: Jeroen Breebaart | Free VST plugins

I'm curious what you guys think of it.
Old 15th November 2007
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
Hi Brian,

I have, Dave Amels brought it to the great Helios listening party that Paul Orifino & I hosted at Millbrook Sound Studios. We only A/B'd it for a short period of time at the end of the day but it blew everybody in the room away. We didn't even try to set it up as we didn't have a lot of time (we had 10 different vintage Helios modules to back engineer, set up and evaluate) but Dave had brought the Anamod box (along with another very special box, a mastering EQ he's working on, this I must have) so we quickly set it to Studer/456 (and didn't mess with the bias or azimuth controls). Well the short of it was without even trying when compared to tape it was 80 to 85% there. With minor tweaking or even changing the machine or tape setting I'm convinced it could have been 99% there.
I heard it as AES with their phones of course, and it seemed 85% there, which was a great accomplishment in my book. Very nice unit, now they just need to make a few! I'm not sure about 99% as tape compression and distortions are still more random and thus lively than it was, but 90% would be fine with me if I were tracking digitally.
Old 17th November 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by PD Hogeterp View Post
Hi,

I'm using the JB Ferox plugin to add some tape effect on some of my mastering work. It's free downloadable here: Jeroen Breebaart | Free VST plugins

I'm curious what you guys think of it.
Anyone tried the plug-in yet?
Old 17th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PD Hogeterp View Post
Anyone tried the plug-in yet?
I have, its not like tape, but some people might like its effect. I wouldn't ever use it myself personally.

The one to keep an eye on (for us PC users anyway) is Nebula 3, its slowly but surely getting closer and closer to the tape effect.

It's latest preset colortape captures the colour and distortion elements nicely, but has dynamic issues. So its not there yet, but as this plugs constantly in development and new samples taken, I really think they're gonna nail it soon.
Old 17th November 2007
Mastering

Check this out!

Anamod Audio

The guys behind Pendulum and I forget the other name for the moment are behind this interesting piece of gear. I do intend to check it out!

BK
Old 30th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well HEDD is the same as Pheonix from cranesong is it not?
No they're not. Pheonix is "derived" from what HEDD does but CraneSong says it was a "ground up" design.

I can attest that the HEDD and Pheonix are not the same thing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search