The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
whats first src or bit depth
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

whats first src or bit depth

Which gives the best results when mixing completely itb?

I just bounced my 24bit 88.2k track...............Im confused in wavelab on how to master. When im mastering, I thought Id want my L2 to be working at the higher resolution when limiting. I just cant figure out where in the chain the src should take place. does the src happen right before the L2 limiter to dither?

I just mastered the song and converted to 16 bit..........then i downsampled to 44 in r8brain. Is that backwards?

PLEASE help

Bryan
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaesion View Post
does the src happen right before the L2 limiter to dither?
Most folks will do all processing at the higher sample rate. However, inter-sample peaks can create overs during SRC, so sometimes a "safety limiter" might be in place after SRC'ing, others keep their ceiling at -0.3dB or so.

Quote:
I just mastered the song and converted to 16 bit..........then i downsampled to 44 in r8brain. Is that backwards?
Generally, yes. Dithering to 16 bit (or just raw truncation, if that's your thing) should be the very last processing you do.
Old 24th August 2007

Verified Member
Do your mastering while still at 24/88.2 as your L2 and other non-linear processes will often perform a little better up there. Do the SRC while still at 24 bits since it is a DSP process and there is filtering involved; and you may need to pull it back a couple tenths of a dB because the filter ripple can cause overs. This can be easily accomplished by having the output ceiling of your L2 a few tenths below zero, which is good practice even when not doing an SRC after limiting. Last step will be the wordlength reduction.
Old 24th August 2007
Here for the gear

i don't know the technical stuff but unless you need to send the file to a 3rd party, wavelab will convert it to 16 bit automatically when you burn an audio cd.
sorry if this is obvious.
Old 24th August 2007

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleym View Post
i don't know the technical stuff but unless you need to send the file to a 3rd party, wavelab will convert it to 16 bit automatically when you burn an audio cd.
sorry if this is obvious.
The question is... how? With dither? Noise shaping? Or just simple truncation, resulting in loss of perceptible signal below the LSB and added truncation distortion? Any program that can burn a CD will throw away the extra bits; it's the "how" that is significant.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search