The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
building a large room or not Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 23rd August 2007
Here for the gear

building a large room or not

hello,

I have just taken on a new space. its 13 meters long by 9 meters wide with a double vaulted 10 meter tall roof.

I was thinking would it be a good idea to keep the room as one big room to do mastering, also some mixing and perhaps some tracking ( although perhaps not ).
I was thinking of using some bass traps on the corners and spaced acoustic panels along the walls, ( either realtraps or DIY ) and building some coulds to lower the roof in some places.

Do you think this is a good idea? most sites talking about self build rooms talk about small rooms, how small is small?

also the 38% speaker position does that apply in a large room.

Should i just build a smaller room in the big room ?

when i googled large mastering rooms i only really found this Pro Sound News Europe - Metropolis equips new surround mastering room with PMC monitors
its a 40 sq meter room, not really that large, as my new space is 117sq meters.

i would appreciate your inputs.

thanks

|-<>-|
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Interesting question. You could build a great room in that space ($$$ allowing).

You will, of course, be employing an experienced architectural acoustician to design it for you, won't you?

I'd also post the question here: PSW Recording Forums: Francis Manzella
Old 23rd August 2007
Here for the gear

budget

oh yeh, i prob should have mentioned. I am pretty low end.
i have a nice set of speakers already and a daw etc.
I am looking at a budget of a couple of thousand dollars to kit the place out.

ta

|-<>-|
Old 23rd August 2007
arf
Gear Addict

It's a little too big, IMO. I'm now in a room 28 feet x 19 feet x 12 feet and the sound is practically perfect. You could carve out that much from your space and have room to spare for a small lounge, or equipement room, or library/dub room.
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by |-<>-| View Post
I have just taken on a new space. its 13 meters long by 9 meters wide with a double vaulted 10 meter tall roof.
I agree with arf (Hi guy!) that your room is too large. To answer your question, the 38 percent rule doesn't really apply in rooms that large. But you'll need a lot of bass trapping and other treatment to tame such a large room enough to be suitable for mixing and mastering.

--Ethan
Old 23rd August 2007
arf
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
I agree with arf (Hi guy!) that your room is too large. To answer your question, the 38 percent rule doesn't really apply in rooms that large. But you'll need a lot of bass trapping and other treatment to tame such a large room enough to be suitable for mixing and mastering.

--Ethan
Since Ethan dropped in, I'll add that RealTraps toned up this room to a "T" !!
Old 23rd August 2007
Here for the gear

ok

ok cool, so if i build a room inside my big room 28 feet x 19 feet x 12 feet the same as yours should i build a rectangle or a different shape.

Also as im not worried about sound getting in or out betwen this room and my large room does it matter what the walls are made of? can i just build partition walls etc or is there something else i should use.

Thanks a lot this information is really great.

|-<>-|
Old 24th August 2007
Partitioning will allow you to have slanting walls.
It may seem expensive and hard to construct at first, but will save you some money on room dressing later on.

Constructed of wooden frames dressed with thin plywood panels at the side walls, softboard sections in the corners and back with rockwool behind, the inner walls can serve as mid/bass traps at the same time. From larger trapping at the speakers' end (where the walls are closer) gradually to mid where the room gets wider. Just as needed.

If you keep straight corners, at least try to avoid multitude dimensions.

And of cause you can use some of the free space for a small machine room. Not just for noise but heat as well.

Peter
Old 24th August 2007
Here for the gear

cool

great, do you think it would be ok dimensions to build it to be 6m long by 4 meter wide ?

Also the rockwool for inside the walls, is that better then building panels for the interior?.

also the floor is currently made of concrete, do you think its ok to paint it and leave it as it is with a couple of rugs or should i lay a carpet ?

Thanks |-<>-|
Old 24th August 2007
Quote:
great, do you think it would be ok dimensions to build it to be 6m long by 4 meter wide ?
It's quite a bit smaller than you started with but the ratio is fine i guess.

Quote:
Also the rockwool for inside the walls, is that better then building panels for the interior?.
? You need both acting together for absorption.

Quote:
also the floor is currently made of concrete, do you think its ok to paint it and leave it as it is with a couple of rugs or should i lay a carpet ?
Mmm, depends on the ceiling. At least one of the surfaces has to be soft to avoid flutter echoes. But you can certainly start with some rug(s). There's no problem with some solid surfaces especially when spread evenly around the room. You don't want a dead room either. I suggest that you start with 2 thick rugs at the first reflection point in front of each speaker, listen and take it from there.

Good luck
Peter
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arf View Post
It's a little too big, IMO. I'm now in a room 28 feet x 19 feet x 12 feet and the sound is practically perfect. You could carve out that much from your space and have room to spare for a small lounge, or equipement room, or library/dub room.
Hey Alan, I'm real close to that 26'x18'x16' high and I also feel this is the best sounding room I ever built. The ceiling clouds were a bitch to hang but other then that everything else (bass traps, helmholtz resonator, absorbtion panels and floating floor) was pretty easy.

It's the finishing treatments and furniture that really costs you (yuk, yuk). My wife picked a berber carpet that was 10 bucks a square foot and it has a 12"x12" pattern to it, sometimes I sit there listening to music and counting up the squares, after I hit 4K I usually stop, I always thing about that piece of gear "that could have been"... (at least the cherry hard wood flooring was only 7 bucks a SF).
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search