The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hardware or Software SRC vs. DA->AD Utility Software
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Hardware or Software SRC vs. DA->AD

Hi Guys,

I’m faced with a decision and I am not to clear on the best choice. I get quite a few projects in at difference sample rates and I would like to find the best solution for sample rate conversion(SRC). As it stands, I use Sequoia’s internal SRC or R8Brain free. The R8Brain free is slightly better than Sequoia’s internal SRC to my Ears at least, but I am looking for a better solution. I have considered the a few options and would like to hear others thoughts.

1.) Upgrade to R8Brain Pro.
2.) Purchase Lavry, Weiss, or Zsys SRC.
3.) Setup DA/AD into separate computer.

Please share your thoughts on the pros and cons.

Thanks,
Old 22nd August 2007
Hi Ozzy,

IF you're doing analog processing too, then the DA/AD step might be used for the most elegant way of src imho. However, you probably have to use separate converters since all-in-one boxes clock on whatever input and use the same sample freq. on digital output afaik.
If you don't need/want the analog chain, the DA/AD step might do more harm than a dedicated src.

Can't tell you about the other options you mention since i use yet another one.
Weiss btw has a software src called Saracon. Some people on this board will be happy to tell you 'bout that one.

Best,
Peter
Old 26th August 2007
Using Saracon for Mac here. It's excellent. I used the Weiss SFC2 for years but switched earlier this year to his new software.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for the replies guys. I decided to simply upgrade to r8Brain Pro. After several hours of testing various files, I felt that r8brain Pro is pretty good compare to an extra DA->AD step.

Thanks again.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search