The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Silver vs Copper Cables Modular Synthesizers
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb View Post
OK take it back the other direction...

20-30 years ago I remember hearing a big difference in Aluminum cables and Copper cables.

Copper sounds so much better. Simple answer: copper is a better conductor than aluminum.

JT
To clarify, I'm not saying silver is better. That would be someone like Jim Williams, who is a Kimber lover. I'm saying it's different.

Even if silver has "better" technical elements I'm liking copper better, given my limited experience with Acoustic Zen silver/copper.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
Even if silver has "better" technical elements I'm liking copper better, given my limited experience with Acoustic Zen silver/copper.
That's one of the odd things that I find about audio and music. Often times "technically better" doesn't mean that it sounds better.
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Right on Tom.

Thanks for the topical posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrox247 View Post
Yesthumbsup When you switch to silver, you immediately notice the increase in detail. One downside I have noticed with silver is that you can really hear the artifacts from things like cheap ICs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22busy View Post
Haven't checked out the current crop of cables but years ago I tried several types of silver cables including Levinson.

The verdict: silver had mucho detail and on first impression it had that wow factor - big and open. But I finally realized it just wasn't right . . . there was too much glare and harshness. Also, some things seemed too dynamic (the things that were too harsh and had too much glare). Presentation was appealing at first but tiring in the long term, and more importantly, just not natural.

If I recall correctly, I remember thinking the extra detail might be coming from thinning out the lower mids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22busy View Post
Maybe, but I remember having the impression there was something akin to phase shift going on. The internal relationships of elements in the songs just seemed a bit off to me.

Also, I agree with your description of "flatter", but not in the normal meaning of flat that implies more accurate frequency response.

It's more like "paper ships on a paper sea" -- or a loss of the feeling of substance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegybug View Post
Brian, here's my question -- has it improved the sound of your final masters?

I've been through lots and lots of different cables. Although mostly staying with copper formulations, just different insulation, construction, and jacketing. So that might not technically qualify for your topic, if you are only interested in discussing the *wire* material.

FWIW, for line/mic level signals, in my experience Teflon shielded twisted pairs worked significantly better overall for my objective of 'neutral' sound with excellent noise suppression. I have not tried any of those with silver wire.

In any event, of course there are remarkable differences in the sound of many audio cable constructions. Monster shouters or others who just cannot hear it are politely smiled at and waved to as I go about my business.

Cables are equalizers, it is just that simple. There is no best, only different. What suits a particular combination of ear, room, amp, speaker, whatever, will certainly not always be ideal in the next setup to come along. Sometimes that extra 'detail' or certain frequency shift turns out to be distracting me from my objective, as does using equipment that sounds really lush and full most of the time regardless of the source material.

I just keep doing shootouts until I can feel the ones I want to use. And of course the proof is in the mixed or mastered product.

Steve
My experience is similar: more harmonics, thin low mids/flat, extended subs with silver ... not 'better' in my room right now.
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labs View Post
HAHA! You called me village idiot, you clever ****talking bastard.
I didn't call you anything, you are simply the "Village Idiot" so says Jules.

Once again, you are unable to do anything but make a personal attacks and use this topic as a platform for your jealousy and hate.

Have fun with that...
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey
Wow, again.

Ironic posting all around. For one, "superlatives" are your strong suit.
Thanks! But, maybe you've misunderstood. Might be worth re-reading.

Quote:
Unprovoked "abrasive" posting is for the insecure.
(mirror offered)

Quote:
"Doing your own listening" is the name of this game, that's a fact.
I have tested cables, and I agree! In fact, it is because I am not satisfied with you doing the listening that I and others have requested you post files. (see my post above for my thoughts on why you refused)

Quote:
And this thread is unlike most I participate in (search my posts if you'd like)
Do you honestly think anyone reading this isn't chuckling at that assertion?

Quote:
it's only a "scrum" because you made it personal and I don't take well to that kind of thing.
I came into this thread with a simple request, which you have shrunken away from, evading it with flippant dismissals like this one:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwale
Well, it is quite well known that Mr. Lucy has historically been the Tyler Durden of Gearslutz posting. Nonetheless, in the name of granting him his yearnings for actual discussion on this topic, I have a request: Since we started this thread discussing the differences between runs of copper and silver cabling at line-level between DA converter and amplifier, it should be recordable. Brian, could you please make 2 passes of a digital playback of any piece of example-music, one with copper between DA and AD, then one with silver? I'm sure it would be very illuminating and beneficial to the discussion. Cheers
I don't want to fight, or do your listening work for you ... I want to discuss with users. Why is that so hard to accept?
I jabbed a little because you were arguing with other posters about the course of the thread, but the rest of it was a sincere request, one that I think should have furthered the discussion in a very interesting way, so that you weren't the only one listening to the "huge difference" at line level. But I'm repeating myself innit?

Quote:
"Look in the mirror" for the problem here, good advice indeed.
I did, and owned up to my git-ish abrasion. Mea culpa.

Quote:
Cable threads do tend to go this way, but only because people with your venom and/or lack of actual effort see them as a bully pulpit and take off on tirades like you've done here. I had hoped this one would avoid that, with a more limited discussion by those with experience, but I admittedly put to little effort in the initial posts and people like you have no self-discipline, so you just have to **** on it.
Cable threads don't kill people, Brian Lucey kills people.

I guess you haven't noticed that in all of my posts I have been trying to further a thread about cable differences. The only bully pulpit taken here has been in questioning you as you've hidden away from sharing substantiation of the not-so-subtly self vaunting assertions you made about differences in line-level cables and your ability to hear them that you started the thread with.

Quote:
In short, you Jack are a clueless hack, who spends more time with self-important posting than actual listening tests. IF you had done the tests, and IF you heard something unique, then you would be justified to say anything you like.
Hey, I may indeed be a clueless hack, but I enjoy the process. And as I recognize your leadership in self-important posting, I'll defer to your expertise on that appraisal.

FWIW, I have done some tests on my own, which yielded nothing worth starting a thread about. However, like other posters here, I thought it might be nice do some listening to some easy-to-make files from someone on the forum who did hear a big difference. You have been unwilling to share some simple examples of the hugeness! (and I have my prior-described suspicions as to why)

Quote:
As it is, you're a poorly informed tosser with the vocabulary of a terrorist in a bow tie at tea time.
This is almost worthy of applause. Good effort, but it doesn't really make sense.

Quote:
Masturbatory insulting is like its counterpart ... only good for you.
Its counterpart? Would that be insulting masturbation? I don't get it. Regardless, I can tell by your desperate and ineffective attempts to retaliate that you were very hurt and upset by my last post. For that, I apologise.

I still think it would have been simpler to just post some files. You could have even shot back some quips at the same time and still broadened the discussion. Ah well, damage control.

Tom V, yes - feel free to use that quote. FWIW, the Kimbers I own and Zaollas I've tried manifested no useful difference at line level over my ordinary mogami and belden. Hence the interest in hearing examples of something that wowed someone.
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Pinwale and Labs ... why dont you start a "I hate Lucey" thread and take all the personal **** over there?

To assert that you came here with something to add is a lie. People with something too add re: the tone of the two materials in their tests have posted, and been quoted. You're not anywhere NEAR there in these posts.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
This is a mastering forum, not a sand box. Can you angry people please take your quarrels in private messages?

This forum have so far managed to stay above the rest of the nearly useless internet fora. Please keep it that way.

Thanks.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwale View Post
Tom V, yes - feel free to use that quote. FWIW, the Kimbers I own and Zaollas I've tried manifested no useful difference at line level over my ordinary mogami and belden. Hence the interest in hearing examples of something that wowed someone.
Fotrill,

I was going to add "Purveyor of unchecked bollocks in vainglorious superlatives" to my tagline, I think that it rolls off of the toungue nicely. Somehow it's lost all of its "fun". In fact anymore I think that many forums have lost their fun aspect and are just becoming repositories for misinformation and vitriol.

I'm waiting for someone to take the high road here and stop the ****/bollocks. How about some samples demonstrating either point of view? A picture (or audio sample) speaks volumes.
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by masteringhouse View Post
I'm waiting for someone to take the high road here and stop the ****/bollocks. How about some samples demonstrating either point of view? A picture (or audio sample) speaks volumes.
There is not "either point of view" Tom .... there is no polarity of opinion except by those who want to derail the thread. You and others are attempting to frame the discussion along your own cynical bias ... and asking others, who already hear something fairly consistent, to prove what they hear to you? And then you're defining that as the "high road"? That's twisting it around to suit your bias.

The 'point of view' I put forward, poorly it seems, is that most silver and copper (not Zaolla) perform consistently and differently. I wanted to hear from people who had similar experiences, or different experiences. Experiences, not opinions. Experiences, not "prove it to me" attitudes.

If we hear no difference, then say so. But leave it at that. The defensive posture of "since I hear nothing, and since you say you do, then YOU are an arrogant person" is 100% friggin backwards. No one who hears something consistently different in the materials has any interest in posturing, and yet everyone who does not, or who wants proof handed to them has a huge chip on their shoulder.

If you don't hear it, then that's all you can say that keeps this clean. And people who hear something can still have a discussion in peace. Be they dreaming/delusional/biased/poor listeners or whatever, in your view ... that discussion can happen if you let it. I dont give a **** what anyone thinks about my hearing, and I don't think there is a mature or healthy reason why anyone else should bother with insulting what others hear or don't hear. If we all heard the same things the same way it would be a boring world.

The problem is not those who have had a similar listening experience and want to talk about it. There is a signal, the problem is the noise.
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Hey Brian, im sure you already wrote this in a previous post but all the bs post here just make my eyes puke.. so,

What cable did you use between your amp and speakers when you did this test?

/Jonas
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
There is not "either point of view" Tom .... there is no polarity of opinion except by those who want to derail the thread. You and others are attempting to frame the discussion along your own cynical bias ... and asking others, who already hear something fairly consistent, to prove what they hear to you? And then you're defining that as the "high road"? That's twisting it around to suit your bias.
No Brian, I'm approaching this entirely from an open mind and want to hear this difference or not hear this difference. I simply don't have your cables to make this comparison. Why can't you post a sample so that we can hear where your coming from? Surely in the time it's taken to respond here it could have been done days ago. If I've seemed biased I apologize, or maybe in my attempt to derail the tension here some comments have been misunderstood.

In order to have any sort of meaningful discussion on audio one has to be able hear it though.
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastertone View Post
Hey Brian, im sure you already wrote this in a previous post but all the bs post here just make my eyes puke.. so,

What cable did you use between your amp and speakers when you did this test?

/Jonas
I was using AcouticZen silver for the last couple of years, but I was too busy in the last 2 months it was wearing me out. The harmonics were just tiring and I missed the low mid bump of copper. All I could hear was a distortion in a haze. So I went to Cardas' low end cable, and that was no good, all the detail was lost. Yet it was not tiring, as the harmonics were not like silver. So thanks to Robert at AZ who shipped the same day, for no charge, now I have the AZ Copper. It's in between the lesser copper of Cardas and the over the top silver, and it's working fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masteringhouse View Post
In order to have any sort of meaningful discussion on audio one has to be able to hear it though.
I agree with you 100%. It's about listening. Cables are very subtle and very dependent on the chain. So in reverse I could say to you that nothing is stopping you from getting the cables and listening for yourself in your chain, in this same period of time. I didn't ask anyone to do anything for me, I got the cables, swapped them out, and listened for similarities/differences. Rinse and repeat. I've been doing this for years when necessary. There are times when a cable is not audible, and times when they are. It seems to be about the components (and evolving taste) as much as anything.

I'm using these to power amps so I'm not going to pull them to please a group of people who are by-and-large insulting and disrespectful. I don't know if that would prove anything anyway, and I don't want to go down the road of "proving" a damn thing. I want to discuss. I do not want this to be a "cable tone yes or no" thread where this same crap happens over and over. I had hoped to avoid that.

Many people have heard consistent things with silver/copper. Some disagree after listening for themselves. Fine either way. I'm only interested in those who have done the tests, not in helping you or arguing theory with anyone else, at least for this thread ... no offense intended.

I often post with a helpful thought, and in this thread I'm asking for help from your experience ... not for abuse or to do extra work.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
I'm using these to power amps so ...
Ok, what I would like to hear is the difference between using silver and copper cables particularly in an analog chain. A completely different thing as this gets imprinted on the final master. I suppose this could be taken to another thread if there is any interest in this?

If so I'll speak to my dealer about the potential of getting some variations to try out, or if others can produce examples for comparision I think that it would be quite helpful. So many hours in a day for everyone, spreading out the different permutations of this among the forum community (given a common ground for comparison) would be great. Isn't that what a "forum community" is about, helping each other?
Old 4th September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Many people have heard consistent things with silver/copper.
I remember, when I was trekking in the Andies, we arrived in this small village. We ate local mushrooms and then we saw the Virgin Mary. I feel I can relate. You're my friend.

Quote:
I'm asking for help from
They are professionnals. I'm not so sure they'll buy the Copper Vs Silver thing though, but hey. That's life.

Department of Mental Health: Home Page
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
WTF???

Get help.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR2XLR View Post
What's the point if no one who subsequently listens to the recording
cannot hear it through their MP3, dirty ass copper $0.25 phono cables
through a set of in ear plugs.

I just cannot see the point other than self gratification which is perfectly fine
by me, but I don't necessarily think it will mean a better end product.

If anything the sensible solution is to master for the masses and the systems
it is likely to be played on i.e. the vast majority have silver on their fingers not their
audio leads.
My take on this particular point: 10-15 years into the future, technology will most likely dictate audiophile-quality ipods (or other audio devices yet to be invented). I personally would master for the best possible sound I could get today so it will still sound great 10-15 years in the future...
Old 5th September 2007

Verified Member
Hi Guys,

Popping in with my moderator hat on. Seems like this thread has pretty much run its course. I hadn't realized it had veered off track so much. Let's bring it back, or it will just get closed. Thanks.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfrigo View Post
Hi Guys,

Popping in with my moderator hat on. Seems like this thread has pretty much run its course. I hadn't realized it had veered off track so much. Let's bring it back, or it will just get closed. Thanks.
Well done sir.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfrigo View Post
Hi Guys,

It does make some enjoyable reading whilst waiting for the CD-R to burn. I'd say Pinwale is winning the debate so far, unless Lucey actually posts some files for comparison.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F View Post
It does make some enjoyable reading whilst waiting for the CD-R to burn. I'd say Pinwale is winning the debate so far, unless Lucey actually posts some files for comparison.
There is no debate. The thread assumes a difference in materials, so I will post no files for those who have derailed the discussion that is possible, but seemingly unlikely.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoteRotie View Post
absent any theory or evidence to the contrary I would say it's the design of the cable rather than the conducting material. In order to investigate the actual conducting material's contribution we would need 2 cables identically made, one with silver and one with copper. We might try 2 copper variations, one with the same gauge wire as the silver, one with a slightly larger gauge to give it the same DC resistance as the silver cable. Then we could arrange double-blind tests between all 3 and see what the differences are. I know that's a difficult test to do and it's unlikely to happen, so we'll all have to use what we believe works best for now.

Regards,

John
Doesn't the fact that the two materials do indeed render different DC resistances point to the fact that they are different. I still think it's a huge assumption to think that all materials conduct in the same manner. Is DC always just DC or can it be effected?
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Doesn't the fact that the two materials do indeed render different DC resistances point to the fact that they are different. I still think it's a huge assumption to think that all materials conduct in the same manner. Is DC always just DC or can it be effected?
DC is affected by the resistivity of the cable if that's your question. In anything but the most audiophile of cables this is < 0.1 Ohms and a non-issue.

I didn't know you could buy Aluminum audio cables!

DC
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcollins View Post
DC is affected by the resistivity of the cable if that's your question. In anything but the most audiophile of cables this is < 0.1 Ohms and a non-issue.

DC
I understand this, but don't you think there are certain intangibles that don't show up on scopes or meters (at least with our current understanding)? To me the audible difference is very clear, so it is quite puzzling to have people tell me that what I'm hearing is not scientifically possible.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
What silver cables have you used Dave? Kimber was it?
Never tried the Kimber, is it the hot set-up? On Naim power amps?

I just use regular copper wire, and it seems to work. Most of the "exotic" implementations are either obscenely overpriced, or intentionally (?) degraded to produce an audible result.

When you post an A/B comparison of the Silver vs. Copper cables, I think it would be a good idea to include at least a few seconds of 1kHz before each sample.

DC
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
I understand this, but don't you think there are certain intangibles that don't show up on scopes or meters (at least with our current understanding)? To me the audible difference is very clear, so it is quite puzzling to have people tell me that what I'm hearing is not scientifically possible.
I like to think there aren't intangibles (I'm not talking about at the quantum level, I'm talking macroscopic audio band). If we didn't understand this stuff exactly, if we were off just a little bit, then huge complex systems with miles and miles of cable of many different types and billions of transistors wouldn't work properly. If we were wrong, or didn't have it well understood we'd find out pretty quickly.

One example is say, an Airbus A330. It's fly-by-wire. If I didn't feel that we understood exactly how cables respond and what the transfer functions were like, I wouldn't get on one.

Now am I saying that you're not hearing a difference? No, I'm just saying that we haven't looked at all the variables to figure out why there's a difference. From a quick look it doesn't seem like it should be there, so absent a rigorous examination of your system and a double blind test we can't have any idea as to why there's an apparent difference. So again, we should use what sounds best to us, no question.

Regards,

John
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Sure, they're different materials, sure they conduct differently. No argument there, but the question is why such a small difference should be audible. There's some point where the DCR will affect the bandwidth, but at these resistances combined with typical parasitics it's way out of the audio band. Can you tell the difference between a LPF EQ set to lowpass your music at 800KHZ and one set at 900KHz? Even the phase in the audio band isn't affected by poles up that high, and those are way lower that what you should see from any decent cable.

There are various reasons why you might hear a difference in different cable. I'm kind of interested in the subject from a theoretical point of view, so don't think I'm trying to tell anyone what they can or can't hear, I'm not. I'm just trying to learn something here.

Regards,

John
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcollins View Post
I think you're referring to my post... maybe it was an aluminum alloy or tinned copper wire. Most likely was cheap rat-shack wire many years ago. But the point is, I remember a distinct change to "pure" copper wire and improved audio characteristics.

As usual, good scrutinizing eye for detail Dave.

JT
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Guru

Verified Member
There are difference in cables some of them are crimped, some soldered, some use gold plated Neutrik connectors some use Switchcraft connectors and some use a connector that no one knows where it comes from or anything about it.

I personally think that cables that are not made as well maybe the bigger difference that the kind of wire they are made of. In order to really test two cables against each other they would both have to be constructed with the same connectors and either both soldered or both crimped.

We ordered a bunch of microphone cables from PROCO. They were for a big recording job we were doing and silly me I though that all cables were soldered. But these cables were crimped and after about the third time we used them the connectors started getting loose and we started having problems. The local retailer was nice enough to replace them with the soldered variety (at an additional cost of $200) but we got good quality cables that have stood the test of time.

There are so many things that can affect the sound of what you are listening to that it is hard to put a real value on any one part of the chain. I know for example that things sound different to me when I listen early in the morning than they do late at night. I also know that if I am doing some mastering on a very loud distorted project and even though the average level is 85 dBSPL everything after that project sounds distorted even if it is not. I also know that if I am really relaxed I seem to be able to hear more into the music than if I am rushed or pushed to get a project done.

I am not sure why, if there is such a big audible difference between silver and copper cables that, Mr. Lucey is so reticent to take the time to make a comparison audio file and place it where all can hear it. It might be an ear opening experience for us all.

If you can get past the BS this has been a very interesting discussion on perceived audible differences either real or imagined.

Moderator - thanks for letting this continue even if it had grown past its prime.
Old 5th September 2007
I believe I was the first person to ask if it was possible to post examples of the copper and silver cables. I came here to learn, with no ill intentions. I didn't realize what a hornets nest I was disturbing! Sorry for that.

If someone had started a thread comparing, say, the tone of the Manley Vari-mu with the Pendulum ES-8, as an ES-8 owner my first thought would be, "Cool, maybe they can post some clips." So similarly, as a copper cable user (I use AES cable for all my analog connections), I was genuinely interested in hearing how silver compared.

Unfortunately, Lucey, by refusing to post clips in the face of so much interest I think an educational opportunity has been lost. Furthermore, the unintentional side effect is that you've undermined the validity of your initial assertion, making future discussion on the topic rather meaningless. Too bad.

On a positive note, I think you could still turn this thread around even now by posting some clips, but that's a decision you'll have to make.

Best,

- J.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb View Post
I think you're referring to my post... maybe it was an aluminum alloy or tinned copper wire. Most likely was cheap rat-shack wire many years ago. But the point is, I remember a distinct change to "pure" copper wire and improved audio characteristics.
JT
He was probably referring to my post where I use JPS Labs Aluminata cable. It is alumiloy with aluminum particle and kapton $hielding. It's certainly not Rat Shack!

Regards,
Bruce
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search