The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Silver vs Copper Cables Modular Synthesizers
Old 22nd August 2007
  #31
Gear Nut
 

Haven't checked out the current crop of cables but years ago I tried several types of silver cables including Levinson.

The verdict: silver had mucho detail and on first impression it had that wow factor - big and open. But I finally realized it just wasn't right . . . there was too much glare and harshness. Also, some things seemed too dynamic (the things that were too harsh and had too much glare). Presentation was appealing at first but tiring in the long term, and more importantly, just not natural.

If I recall correctly, I remember thinking the extra detail might be coming from thinning out the lower mids. Kinda like getting extra detail by opening the top end. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

I've heard that although silver has extremely low resistance (to dc), it's impedance (to ac) is actually quite high. Don't know if this it correct but may be worth investigating.
Old 22nd August 2007
  #32
Gear Guru
 
lucey's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22busy View Post
Presentation was appealing at first but tiring in the long term, and more importantly, just not natural.

If I recall correctly, I remember thinking the extra detail might be coming from thinning out the lower mids. Kinda like getting extra detail by opening the top end. Wrong, wrong, wrong.
Well, it's all about the harmonics I think. They provide the 'detail' and jump that's not really there for 99.9% of the world.

OTOH, the flatter response can be learned and appreciated.
Old 22nd August 2007
  #33
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
Well, it's all about the harmonics I think.
Maybe, but I remember having the impression there was something akin to phase shift going on. The internal relationships of elements in the songs just seemed a bit off to me.

Also, I agree with your description of "flatter", but not in the normal meaning of flat that implies more accurate frequency response.

It's more like "paper ships on a paper sea" -- or a loss of the feeling of substance.
Old 22nd August 2007
  #34
Gear Addict
 
CoteRotie's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22busy View Post

I've heard that although silver has extremely low resistance (to dc), it's impedance (to ac) is actually quite high. Don't know if this it correct but may be worth investigating.
Not true. The only reason for the AC impedence to be higher is skin effect (and proximity effect but that's another story and not important here), and that has to do with the diameter and number of the conductors, not the material. Silver has proportionally lower resistance to AC as well.

Regards,

John
Old 22nd August 2007
  #35
Gear Guru
 
Thomas W. Bethe's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
Right ... this is why I took the silver out last week. I've been busier than ever and the harmonics were killing me. The Copper was a nice break, but eventually I missed the flatness of silver, the additional subharmonics, and the extra harmonics overall.

Cables are 2M silver and 3M copper.

(I'm not entertaining those of us who dont hear it ... copper/silver is a slam dunk. I'm going to assume most have not done this kind of auditioning. This is a thread about the obvious difference from the materials ... not about ABX. If I've said it once I've said it 100 times ... if you've ever changed a speaker or a tube in an amp, or pickups in a guitar, you learn that ABX is not always necessary.)
Yes but what are you really hearing? In medicine there is the "placebo effect". People get better by taking sugar pills instead of the medicine they are suppose to be taking. It is because the THINK they taking the correct drug and therefore it is making them well.

In audio there are a lot of tweaks and products that there is no way to ABX test them so you have to rely on your audio memory which is not very accurate. The only true way to test something is to double blind test it and if you can't do that easily, as with speaker wire, then you have a problem. Scientific testing says that you have to be able to repeatedly re-test something and get the same results every time before you can claim it is a scientific fact.

You can't change physics. A piece of wire is a piece of wire and if it has the same amount of strands and has the same circular mills diameter then two pieces of wire should electrically test the same and sound exactly the same. Now if one is made out of copper and one out of silver then they have different conductivity ratings but in the bigger scheme of things that should not make a difference because what you are trying to achieve is delivering the maximum AC power (wattage= volts X amps) to your speakers. If you are hearing different things then you should use what makes it sound the best to you,

There are people that are making millions of dollars by selling snake oil audio tweaks and products to the audiophile masses who think that they can hear the difference. I have a golden eared audiophile friend who had welding cable going to solid buss bars made of silver plated copper which ran under his floor from his amp to his speakers and then ran up in welding cables to his speakers. He spent a small fortune on it and the next time I cam over to his house he had abandoned the whole setup and was running CARDAS wire to his speakers and had built transmission towers out of Popsicle sticks. I asked him why and he said because I can really hear the difference but there was no way for him to ABX the setups and he was relying on his audio memory of what sounded better.

Maybe you can hear a difference and maybe it is that you are suffering from the "placebo effect" because you want to have them sound different.

If the silver wire sounds one way the copper wire sounds different but you like certain qualities of both then a speaker wire made up of copper and silver seems like it would sound the best to you.

MTCW and FWIW
Old 22nd August 2007
  #36
Lives for gear
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
he was relying on his audio memory of what sounded better.
I seem to remember that Linn suggested a short break of 5 minutes or so between listening to different hifi components when comparing them. That's plenty of time for the marketing suggestions to work.

Cheers

James.
Old 22nd August 2007
  #37
Gear Guru
 
lucey's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Like I've said twice very politely, this is not the place for debate about copper vs silver.

If you want to stop by with say $1000 in cash ... you can swap out the copper and silver that I use yourself, and we can debate it all you like after I take your money. Seriously, take it elsewhere. Start your own thread perhaps?

--------------------


Quote:
Originally Posted by 22busy View Post
Maybe, but I remember having the impression there was something akin to phase shift going on. The internal relationships of elements in the songs just seemed a bit off to me.

Also, I agree with your description of "flatter", but not in the normal meaning of flat that implies more accurate frequency response.

It's more like "paper ships on a paper sea" -- or a loss of the feeling of substance.
I agree on all 3 counts. The phase shift thing might be true, that would explain the fatigue that I'm calling 'harmonics overload'. There is something clinical about it, I agree there as well. Then again, it's a work studio not a playback/enjoyment room so I don't mind that if it helps me to hear.
Old 22nd August 2007
  #38
Lives for gear
 
DSD_Mastering's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
Are you talking audio or AC? I'm not interested in an AC thread here.
I'm talking audio. I was first introduced to JPS using their electrical and decided to go with the audio/digital to keep everything consistant. I even tried the AC receptacles, but have switched most of them out with the Oyaide R-1.
I was using the silver over copper when I noticed the tilted up phenomenon. Yes, it is way more detailed than just plain copper.
My whole take on this is that anyone saying wire is wire has not tried the Transparent Opus, Nordost Valhalla or the JPS Aluminata. I call BS if you say you have!

Regards,
Bruce
Old 22nd August 2007
  #39
Oxygen Free Copper

This is quickly becoming the next urban legend for wire.

Oxygen is injected into the melting process of copper to assist with increasing the heat and therefor expelling rogue compounds that make it impure.

The process of removing the oxygen slightly improves the conductivity, but only very slightly. The term "Oxygen Free" has many descriptions and specifications, and if they don't specify what it is, it really means nothing, because regular copper wire goes through a de-oxygenation process.

If you get wire that actually specifies the oxygen content below .0005%/99.99% pure, than it is called OFE (oxygen free electronic) and is very expensive. They typically call it "C10100". This process also removes all traces of silver.

The next on the list is called "C10200" and is "OF" (oxygen free) and is .001%/99.95% pure. There is a slight amount of silver left in the copper.

The last spec is C11000, .03%/99.9% pure and is "ETP" (electronic touch pitch).

The funniest part is that even the ETP meets the spec of C10100

In the true specification, the purification process is not for conductivity but the pure content is more predictable as far as tarnishing/corroding because of the fewer impurities.

The C10100 is use for very expensive things like particle accelerators and super conductors, not so much audio cable.

So that leaves the last two, which are very close in spec, and the lesser one meets the spec of the greater one.

So, basically, all copper wire is de-oxygenated to some degree. At the point that it is de-oxygenated, all fall very close to each other in specification.

Now the difference between copper and silver is noticeable. Silver is a better conductor than copper, so in things like low level mics and speaker feeds it does make a difference, but to some it is brighter, which in this digital world, may not be so good.

My suggestion:

Old consoles:

Replace the caps before you replace the wire. You will see the biggest difference there.

New consoles/studios:

Use the best quality cables you can for mics, speakers and internal things like summing busses. Most line level things have a low-Z source and a hi-Z destination, so the cables don't make as much of a difference. With mics, they are low-Z but put out so little that they should get every bit of assistance possible. Speakers are very low, so any drop will effect the damping, low end and hi end clarity, summing amps have a virtual ground and need good cabling.

So, spend the money on a good mic before you spend it on re-wiring your whole studio...
Old 22nd August 2007
  #40
Gear Guru
 
lucey's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneLux View Post
Oxygen Free Copper

This is quickly becoming the next urban legend for wire.
Only for the last decade

Quote:
So, spend the money on a good mic before you spend it on re-wiring your whole studio...
+1. Yet there are not a lot of mics used in mastering.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneLux View Post
Now the difference between copper and silver is noticeable. Silver is a better conductor than copper, so in things like low level mics and speaker feeds it does make a difference, but to some it is brighter, which in this digital world, may not be so good.
Thanks for sticking with the topic Paul.
Old 22nd August 2007
  #41
Gear Addict
 
CoteRotie's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
Like I've said twice very politely, this is not the place for debate about copper vs silver.

If you want to stop by with say $1000 in cash ... you can swap out the copper and silver that I use yourself, and we can debate it all you like after I take your money. Seriously, take it elsewhere. Start your own thread perhaps?
Why isn't it the place? The thread started like this:

"
Silver vs Copper Cables
I'd like to narrow the cable debate to a materials discussion.
"
So I think the debate is on-topic. I'm not trying to be a(n) (fill in favorite word here), but just because you are the OP and don't like the turn the thread is taking doesn't mean you get to censor on-topic replies.

I can't think of a good theoretical explanation why silver should sound different given identical cable construction. Frankly, I don't believe it does. I'm often wrong, so I'd like someone to propose a reason that makes theoretical sense. Why? Because if it truly sounds better and we understand the reason maybe we can make cables that sound even better with alloys of copper and silver or silver plated copper or litz with strands of both copper and silver.

Regards,

John
Old 22nd August 2007
  #42
Lives for gear
 
Empire Prod's Avatar
 

Quote -"I can't think of a good theoretical explanation why silver should sound different given identical cable construction. "



I doubt that Brians objective was to argue with you or educate you in this manner (at least not for free). It would be nice if this conversation (for the sake of productivity) remained between those who DO hear the difference .
Old 22nd August 2007
  #43
Gear Addict
 
CoteRotie's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrox247 View Post
Quote -"I can't think of a good theoretical explanation why silver should sound different given identical cable construction. "



I doubt that Brians objective was to argue with you or educate you in this manner (at least not for free). It would be nice if this conversation (for the sake of productivity) remained between those who DO hear the difference .
Ahhh, I see. Let's debate materials but if you ask for even a theory of why they should be different or make a suggestion to post some objective evidence of said difference then get out of my thread or be ready to send $1000.00. Does that sum it up?

John
Old 22nd August 2007
  #44
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
Only for the last decade



+1. Yet there are not a lot of mics used in mastering.




Thanks for sticking with the topic Paul.
That is true, but now days, I wouldn't be surprised at someone doing a vocal overdub while mastering... Tradition and rules are pretty much out the door.

Here is a simple way of testing and matching things:

With two matched playback channels, you can to fast compares with just about anything.

To find two channels, feed them with the same signal, then flip one out of phase. Null them until you get nothing or next to nothing. Moving around different channels may provide better or worse results.

Once you have found a good set of channels, they can now be your base.

Take a source of music, plug it into 2 cables 50 feet long. One being your favorite copper and one being your favorite silver. Plug each cable into the matched channels and with one still out of phase, null them. Now, the difference between direct and through the cables is now the difference between the cables. If you can't hear any difference, then the difference may be too slight to hear or for you to hear.

You can also use this method to match compressors in mastering. With the units bypassed, null the channels, then switch them in and adjust each side until you get a null, using the source material, not tones.

This is a very fast way to identify differences, it usually works well, though with small differences it may not show up. My feeling is that if they cancel with the material that you are listening to running through it, then they are the same.

I have done this with mic pres, even though loading the mic with 2 pres sounds different, you can pick and identify very quickly which one has a thicker low end or better high end by hearing the differences, then when you listen to each one, you kind of have an idea of what to look for.

A very simple test rig that may possibly end the endless debate would be to build a super matched pair of input sections and a null knob, then start comparing. You could even mult it to a pair of speaker feeds and null those. Using a scope with input 1 and input 2 (in the INV mode) would also show differences.

Remember, in either case, if there is a perfect null, then they could be considered the same. Then you have to look at the tightness and freshness of the connections, which would make more difference than anything, etc.

This might be fun...
Old 22nd August 2007
  #45
Lives for gear
 
Empire Prod's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoteRotie View Post
Ahhh, I see. Let's debate materials but if you ask for even a theory of why they should be different or make a suggestion to post some objective evidence of said difference then get out of my thread or be ready to send $1000.00. Does that sum it up?

John
Do you really need to be a scientist in order to enjoy a product? What type of obligation does Brian have to understand the full science behind everything he uses, and then defend himself to people who don't happen to agree with him. I just don't understand why he would have to justify his taste in cables.

HE LIKES SILVER BECAUSE HE LIKES SILVER!!!
Old 22nd August 2007
  #46
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoteRotie View Post
Why isn't it the place? The thread started like this:

"
Silver vs Copper Cables
I'd like to narrow the cable debate to a materials discussion.
"
So I think the debate is on-topic. I'm not trying to be a(n) (fill in favorite word here), but just because you are the OP and don't like the turn the thread is taking doesn't mean you get to censor on-topic replies.

I can't think of a good theoretical explanation why silver should sound different given identical cable construction. Frankly, I don't believe it does. I'm often wrong, so I'd like someone to propose a reason that makes theoretical sense. Why? Because if it truly sounds better and we understand the reason maybe we can make cables that sound even better with alloys of copper and silver or silver plated copper or litz with strands of both copper and silver.

Regards,

John
The point is a debate about two physical substances based on opinion and not hard evidence. I think he wants to stay closer to the hard evidence direction, as the other one involved emotion, smoking, room temp, marital status and children.

I do a lot of comparing, like with the transformers I use. I like the sound of steel, but nickel is cleaner, a bit too clean for me. I ordered laminations of both and experimented with alternating them, grouping them, etc. I found that when you introduce any amount of nickel within the steel, it over takes the characteristics almost completely.

The same goes for wire. Litz is a twist ratio, usually used with isolated wires like in a transformer when you want to effect the magnetic coupling between strands, so it will add inductance if it is not consistent. Combining metal types usually results in a 3rd result, not a blend of both.

There are those who insist that wire has to be polarized with music before use, and in the right direction.

You can spend as much as you want on wire, just like power cables. Just keep in mind that the AC power cable you spent $3K on is still being plugged into a $.24 outlet that most likely has 14 GA wire pushed into the quick terminals on the rear (not the screws) and is at least 50 feet from the AC breaker box.

The same goes for Audio cables. Get your house in order, then start spending money on cables. Like one poster said earlier, you may have tightened the cables more for the new wires compared to the old ones, simply because you are now hyper aware of the cables and everything associated with them.

One note: Please don't go into the skin effect. It doesn't become a factor until you are well above the 200KHz range, and that is provided you have frequencies up there that will cause the effect.

Then again, if you had better material, everything would sound better!
Old 22nd August 2007
  #47
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
I changed my main DA output => Amps cabling last week
Where is your monitor level control in this rig? I use a passive switched attenuator between the DAC and the amp. The capacitance of the cable between the attenuator and the amp plays a big role in the hf response of the system.

- J.
Old 22nd August 2007
  #48
Gear Addict
 
CoteRotie's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrox247 View Post
Do you really need to be a scientist in order to enjoy a product? What type of obligation does Brian have to understand the full science behind everything he uses, and then defend himself to people who don't happen to agree with him. I just don't understand why he would have to justify his taste in cables.

HE LIKES SILVER BECAUSE HE LIKES SILVER!!!
No, that's fine, I'm not really asking Brian for anything. If he likes silver cables that's great, I have no issue with that or him.

I'm hoping that someone who may post in this thread can put forth some reason why silver may sound better. I'm not asking you or Brian specifically. Like I said if you can show that there's a difference and you can understand the reason you might be able to make even greater improvements in the sound. This is a forum where lots of people contribute, so if you don't want to answer without being paid I can appreciate that, maybe someone else will answer.

Regards,

John
Old 22nd August 2007
  #49
Gear Addict
 
CoteRotie's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneLux View Post

One note: Please don't go into the skin effect. It doesn't become a factor until you are well above the 200KHz range, and that is provided you have frequencies up there that will cause the effect.

Then again, if you had better material, everything would sound better!
You're correct about the skin effect, in reasonably designed cables it should not have an effect at audio frequencies. (Though in AC power transmission at 60HZ it does have an appreciable effect due to the magnitude of the current!) That's why I pointed out that silver does not have an AC resistance that's higher than the AC resistance of copper. So I still don't know why silver should sound better. If it's strictly DC resistance you could just use the next lower gauge of copper and get the same performance. (But even then you have to show how the small incremental change in the resistance can react with parasitics to cause some sort of change in the audio band. Not apparent to me.)

Regards,

John
Old 22nd August 2007
  #50
Gear Guru
 
lucey's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoteRotie View Post
Ahhh, I see. Let's debate materials but if you ask for even a theory of why they should be different or make a suggestion to post some objective evidence of said difference then get out of my thread or be ready to send $1000.00. Does that sum it up?

John
John I dont make cables, so I don't need a theory. And I don't need to prove what I hear to you to discuss that same hearing with others who have heard it too. I'd suggest you call an engineer ... Robert Lee at AZ for example, who has a lot of EE background and credentials as both a musician and a career audio engineer. Paul Wolff has posted here, PM him and debate it.

This thread was intended for users. That's what I meant to say. I can't control the result, but I'm asking for users.

I have a subtle problem in my studio that I'm trying to solve. I meant this thread to be about something practical, to use in my room. And not theory. The cable is making a big difference. Like the difference between more or less bass trapping or absorption. It's not subtle to me, in a room I know well and work in for 8+ hours a day. This thread is for others who have experience WITH THE SAME and who have tried various silver and copper.

I simply ask that you let that be the topic. It requires some discipline and respect, so I understand if you don't have it right away, but try. I've been a jerk here before too, and I've had cognitive dissonance a time of three ... so I get your position. Try to get mine.



Quote:
Originally Posted by 22busy View Post

Man, you're just sick.
For asking people with ACTUAL experience with both materials to post, and people with negative attitudes, and cognitive dissonance to not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22busy View Post
Lucey, I had a feeling it was going to turn out to be a bad idea responding to one of your threads knowing your history for turning almost every thread into something negative.
Perhaps a little emotionally overstated?

Quote:
Now you criticize me for discussing my experience with silver vs. copper in a thread where you wanted a "materials discussion".
I dont have a problem with your posting. I agreed with it did I not? I was responding indirectly, and then directly to you. To your good post I said:
"I agree on all 3 counts. The phase shift thing might be true, that would explain the fatigue that I'm calling 'harmonics overload'. There is something clinical about it, I agree there as well. Then again, it's a work studio not a playback/enjoyment room so I don't mind that if it helps me to hear."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLaPointe View Post
Where is your monitor level control in this rig? I use a passive switched attenuator between the DAC and the amp. The capacitance of the cable between the attenuator and the amp plays a big role in the hf response of the system.

- J.
Avocet. Relay. Fixed level.
Old 22nd August 2007
  #51
Gear Guru
 
lucey's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22busy View Post
That's funny. You don't want "people with negative attitudes, and cognitive dissonance" to post. Obviously, you mean excluding yourself.
Seriously .. are you not reading me here? I agreed with your view, thanked you for a good topical post ... and you insult me why? Because you misread one of my posts as insulting you when I was asking OTHERS who are simply down on cable to post elsewhere.

WTF?
Old 22nd August 2007
  #52
Gear Addict
 
CoteRotie's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post

...snip....

This thread is for users. That's what I meant to say.

I simply ask that you let that be the topic. It requires some discipline and respect, so I understand if you don't have it right away, but try. I've been a jerk here before too, and I've had cognitive dissonance a time of three ... so I get your position. Try to get mine.

..snips..

For asking people with ACTUAL experience with both materials to post, and people with negative attitudes, and cognitive dissonance to not?
I'm just trying to learn something here, I don't think I'm preventing anyone who has the experience you're looking for from posting, so at most the inconvenience to you is having to look through a few more posts. I get not wanting people with a negative attitude to post, but most of the posts on here were from people either wanting to understand or wanting some objective examples of silver vs. copper. Not unreasonable at all. It's reasonable for you not to want to take the time to answer or do any A/B testing, that's totally understandable. However, it's a public forum and maybe others will.

You had to know that this discussion would bring up this kind of debate so if you didn't want it you should have put a disclaimer in the first post saying "please only answer if you have actually used both types of cable and are not interested in discussing theory or reasons for the differences."

I think your attitude is as negative as any here. Why restrict others from benefiting from your thread? So you don't have to read a few extra posts?
Old 22nd August 2007
  #53
Lives for gear
 
Empire Prod's Avatar
 

Silver vs Copper Cables-pix-107074222.jpg

Old 22nd August 2007
  #54
Gear Guru
 
Thomas W. Bethe's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
Like I've said twice very politely, this is not the place for debate about copper vs silver.

If you want to stop by with say $1000 in cash ... you can swap out the copper and silver that I use yourself, and we can debate it all you like after I take your money. Seriously, take it elsewhere. Start your own thread perhaps?

--------------------




I agree on all 3 counts. The phase shift thing might be true, that would explain the fatigue that I'm calling 'harmonics overload'. There is something clinical about it, I agree there as well. Then again, it's a work studio not a playback/enjoyment room so I don't mind that if it helps me to hear.
Brian,

This is not a flame but....

Who died and left you in charge? Forums are forums and people can have discussions with others and most times I learn something very valuable by reading alternative posts - If you want to have your own forum there is lots of software available on the WWW and you can start your own forum where you can be moderator and can decide of what gets put on an what does not.

I am a member of the Ampex list serve and everything that gets put on there is screened by the moderator....thankfully this is not that type of forum.

If you are going to post something that is slightly controversial then you are going to get multiple view points. Learn to live with that. I am finding out a lot of things by reading what others have written how can you decide what is posted and what is not.

From a fellow Ohioan....
Old 22nd August 2007
  #55
Lives for gear
 
Empire Prod's Avatar
 

Silver vs Copper Cables-hyena1.jpg



Old 22nd August 2007
  #56
Gear Nut
 
pinwale's Avatar
 

Well, it is quite well known that Mr. Lucy has historically been the Tyler Durden of Gearslutz posting. Nonetheless, in the name of granting him his yearnings for actual discussion on this topic, I have a request: Since we started this thread discussing the differences between runs of copper and silver cabling at line-level between DA converter and amplifier, it should be recordable. Brian, could you please make 2 passes of a digital playback of any piece of example-music, one with copper between DA and AD, then one with silver? I'm sure it would be very illuminating and beneficial to the discussion. Cheers
Old 22nd August 2007
  #57
Gear Guru
 
lucey's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoteRotie View Post
You had to know that this discussion would bring up this kind of debate so if you didn't want it you should have put a disclaimer in the first post saying "please only answer if you have actually used both types of cable and are not interested in discussing theory or reasons for the differences."

I think your attitude is as negative as any here. Why restrict others from benefiting from your thread? So you don't have to read a few extra posts?
Yes I should have made it more clear, great idea. My mistake. My 'attitude' however, is a simple request. Yes I made a joke about the bet, that was from annoyance and I'm sorry to be human.

There is nothing objective I can tell you about cables, and when we head down the path of "scientific proof" even a little it all goes to hell. There will be more than "a few extra posts" it will be a war of ideology vs. listening experience and the topic will be gone. I'm sorry but that's how it is. So again, I'm only asking to limit the thing to interested users ... for practical reasons.

Why is it negative to want to avoid a negative turn in a difficult topic? I disagree with you there, as it's certainly possible to have a discussion on a limited scope. Maybe not on the Internet! And I accept that if we're unable. It may be too late for this thread already, as the passions from the supposedly objective are already posting, and lurking, and dare I say salivating.

Sidebar: I have a grand piano that I use for distortion detox, and I had bass strings put on. Took 2 days. Heard it then and now. Can describe it easily. I had hammers changed. Heard it then and now. I just yesterday did a voicing with Acetone and plexiglass and it's very nice, very clear and easy to hear ... the results. ABX is a comfort zone for some, but for others it's not only not possible in many situations, it's not important. I'm a musician firstly, and have been doing AB in non-scientific means for almost 30 years. ABX is not important to me except during a session.

That's not meant as a disrespect, it's just an "objective" fact.
Old 22nd August 2007
  #58
Lives for gear
 
Empire Prod's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwale View Post
Well, it is quite well known that Mr. Lucy has historically been the Tyler Durden of Gearslutz posting. Nonetheless, in the name of granting him his yearnings for actual discussion on this topic, I have a request: Since we started this thread discussing the differences between runs of copper and silver cabling at line-level between DA converter and amplifier, it should be recordable. Brian, could you please make 2 passes of a digital playback of any piece of example-music, one with copper between DA and AD, then one with silver? I'm sure it would be very illuminating and beneficial to the discussion. Cheers
And how much are you willing to pay for this service?

Brian has made it very clear that he does not want to go in that direction.
What's so hard to understand?
Old 22nd August 2007
  #59
Gear Guru
 
lucey's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwale View Post
Well, it is quite well known that Mr. Lucy has historically been the Tyler Durden of Gearslutz posting. Nonetheless, in the name of granting him his yearnings for actual discussion on this topic, I have a request: Since we started this thread discussing the differences between runs of copper and silver cabling at line-level between DA converter and amplifier, it should be recordable. Brian, could you please make 2 passes of a digital playback of any piece of example-music, one with copper between DA and AD, then one with silver? I'm sure it would be very illuminating and beneficial to the discussion. Cheers
I don't want to fight, or do your listening work for you ... I want to discuss with users. Why is that so hard to accept?
Old 22nd August 2007
  #60
Gear Guru
 
lucey's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Brian,

This is not a flame but....

Who died and left you in charge? Forums are forums and people can have discussions with others and most times I learn something very valuable by reading alternative posts - If you want to have your own forum there is lots of software available on the WWW and you can start your own forum where you can be moderator and can decide of what gets put on an what does not.

I am a member of the Ampex list serve and everything that gets put on there is screened by the moderator....thankfully this is not that type of forum.

If you are going to post something that is slightly controversial then you are going to get multiple view points. Learn to live with that. I am finding out a lot of things by reading what others have written how can you decide what is posted and what is not.

From a fellow Ohioan....
I know how these threads go. I was hoping to avoid that ... Too late!


I have to work ... feel free to debate cable tone ... again!



over and out!
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Meriphew / So much gear, so little time
15
Jax / Drums
5
vnt001 / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
1
BattleAngel / High end
2

Forum Jump
Forum Jump