The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
good moderately priced mac mastering software Monitor Controllers
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

good moderately priced mac mastering software

I need a good application to do mastering on my Mac PPC g5. This will be ITB mastering so I need software that either has, or supports, lots of good plug ins...multi band compressors, great EQ's etc.

I make my bread and butter mixing and even tracking, but lately I've had a fair amount of mastering clients...they've been really happy with my work so I'm getting more. Unfortunately, I've been wingin it in Pro Tools and just all the hoops I've had to jump through(especially the last CD where there was no silence between tracks, it was a DJ mixtape thing) mean it's time to get a real project studio style mastering app.

Thanks, and there's no need to post to send it to a real mastering engineer...that's not the advice i'm seeking.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Well...

You could continue working in PT for processing and just add a nice CD burning App like:

Sonic Studio PMCD
Apple WaveBurner
Peak Pro
etc

A lot of us MEs use that approach... with lots of juicy analog gear, that is.

JT
Old 21st August 2007
x86/x64 Moderator

you should try to get the WEISS SAracon software for the last instance of ITB quality. samplerate conversion is an always underestimated thing.

pm me.
Old 21st August 2007
GS Community Manager

audiofile engineering's wave editor is on the up-and-up too.

cd burning coming very soon and ddp 2.0 export support inbuilt at no extra charge.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb View Post
Well...

You could continue working in PT for processing and just add a nice CD burning App like:

A lot of us MEs use that approach... with lots of juicy analog gear, that is.

JT
How can you really work in Pro Tools? I just put each song on their own track and it becomes highly inefficient with plug ins. There has to be a better way.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
audiofile engineering's wave editor is on the up-and-up too.

cd burning coming very soon and ddp 2.0 export support inbuilt at no extra charge.
thumbsup I've been using the 1.3 beta (now in release candidate phase) & it's certainly shaping up to be quite an app, for sample rate conversion of the highest quality down to processing Audio Units & MBIT+ dithering. I haven't really had time to thoroughly check out the CD burning capabilities, but it certainly all works.

Currently I'm using PT'S HD for processing plugs/outboard, SampleManager for SRC & dither & Waveburner for CD burning. But I'm loving what WaveEditor can do & the price/service is excellent.

Matt
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Head

Mastering Software

You really need to get out of Pro Tools to do this. I have worked in DP to master and that is slightly better, but imho you need mastering specific software. I came from Sonic Studios before they died and then switched to Bias Peak Pro for MAC based work. THat was a nightmare and try to stay away from this program as much as possible. I am looking into Sonic's new mastering software especially since it offers the same editing capability as the original (best editor ever!).

Or you could do the following - Do all your work in MAC, flip to Windows (so long as you are running an intel MAC), and master with WAVELAB. Hands down the best and fastest mastering production software out there- stereo and surround. That is the solution I will most likely go. This way you could even loop out and back in through some choice external gear

Good luck.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDN View Post
How can you really work in Pro Tools? I just put each song on their own track and it becomes highly inefficient with plug ins. There has to be a better way.
a couple links to a great thread wrt PT and mastering:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/1069140-post27.html ...a ruff description of my workflow... oooh so Taboo!

Pro Tools Mastering Taboo ... the whole thread.

There are several other threads, as this topic comes up pretty regularly, the search function will get you there.

JT
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear
i don't understand why draudiotu has such a problem with Bias' Peak Pro. It's worked for me for quite a while without any problems. I use Jam along with it. I have had problems with the Vbox in some versions and, because of that, I never use it but just use the VST plugs in normal configuration.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Head

...because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrebes View Post
i don't understand why draudiotu has such a problem with Bias' Peak Pro. It's worked for me for quite a while without any problems. I use Jam along with it. I have had problems with the Vbox in some versions and, because of that, I never use it but just use the VST plugs in normal configuration.
Coming fom Sonic and then moving into Pyramix, going to Peak was like dropping back into a sandbox. For instance:

- all editing has to be done in soundfile window
- no edit gates (3 point editing etc)
- no real edit fade window
- no CD track marker allowed in Playlist (edl), you must create Region in soundfile window (what is that all about?)
- cannot get a playlist to playback with room tone between tracks without it ticking - no matter how many times you edit the fades on your overlap.

I can go on here for another 100+ points. Trust me, Bias Peak is great for a quick compilation job of ripping in tracks, use plugins, and then assemble for another quick rip, but there are no tools available for truly professional PMCD delivery. Everytime I went to use it, my project would take 4 times as long to complete.

BTW, I am fluent in the following:

Sonic Studio
Pro Tools
Digital Performer
Pyramix
Wavelab
Sonoma - DSD DAW

and when needed 1630 editors and then even the old razor blade.

YMMV

Cheers
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

I LOVE MACS!!!!!!! FOREVER!!!! FOR RECORDING!!!!

But anything to do with mastering a CD.....I still have a PC. Wavelab, even CD Arch. will run circles around most mac programs.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Well anyway... setting all the ~silly~ Mac vs PC stuff aside... no need to switch platforms.

... and back to the original question, the best solution for the original poster would be to keep using PT on his Mac, adjust his workflow & routing approach a little, add a simple CD burning application.

JT
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGray View Post
thumbsup I've been using the 1.3 beta (now in release candidate phase) & it's certainly shaping up to be quite an app, for sample rate conversion of the highest quality down to processing Audio Units & MBIT+ dithering. I haven't really had time to thoroughly check out the CD burning capabilities, but it certainly all works.

Currently I'm using PT'S HD for processing plugs/outboard, SampleManager for SRC & dither & Waveburner for CD burning. But I'm loving what WaveEditor can do & the price/service is excellent.

Matt
I finally did the crossgrade from Peak to WE - haven't tried the beta yet (need to try to keep my system as stable as possible). Anyway, I like it so far - but trying to edit large files had me running back to Peak. It's a nice addition to the arsenal and the new features are very welcome.

I've always been a muti-app user - certain apps for certain things. I went through SDII, DP, SoundHack, MasterList CD, Pro Tools, Jam, Peak and WaveBurner (probably forgetting a few) - on my latest system I use Pro Tools, DP, Logic, WB, Peak, SoundHack, Boom Recorder and now, Wave Editor.

On one of my work PC's, I have older versions of Cool Edit Pro, Sound Forge, Wave Lab, etc. Doing that today, I'd probably go with Sequoia and be done... sticking with the Macs for now, though!
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Put all of the songs on a single audio track, the plugins as inserts in an aux track, bus the audio track to the aux track (or setup an M/S matrix if needed and bus that to the aux track). Then just automate the plugs for each song. The only thing that will potentially change is the analog chain, but this would change regardless of your workflow or choice of DAW.
Old 28th August 2007
Wave Editor nice software they still working in few bugs but they will get it eventually, lacie DVD CD R+ great burner for Mac & Pc.
Old 29th August 2007
OMU
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by masteringhouse View Post
Put all of the songs on a single audio track, the plugins as inserts in an aux track, bus the audio track to the aux track (or setup an M/S matrix if needed and bus that to the aux track). Then just automate the plugs for each song. The only thing that will potentially change is the analog chain, but this would change regardless of your workflow or choice of DAW.
It's a very interesting perspective, though a tedious way of work.

I use Logic and it's engine turns off the unused plugins so I can use the CPU at its maximum power for each track (assuming you don't do crossfades, I do the disc project with fades etc in WaveBurner, which btw, has a similar behaviour regarding unused plugins).

Or you can always freeze the finished tracks and if you want to change something then unfreeze, do the changes and freeze again.
Old 4th September 2007
Here for the gear

No wonder..

Quote:
Putting each song on it´s own track when mastering in Pro Tools...Why why why...?? do people do that..??

Make 1st track for all the song in right order with out any alteration , you just use the solo button to hear the original mix.
Dublicate that track on the 2nd stereo track, add the plug-ins, enable the automation on the plugs. and write automation for each song. Or route the whole thing out of the system via outboard converter and go through analog gear, back in! or to another system, and master like wind , you can bounce to disk. or print them on the 3rd track below and make sure to have solo safe enabled, Add the 4 th track where you drag the printed file to monitor what you have done by using the solo buttons. When you have gone through the whole album, on a second pass you can add limiter and dither on the track where you printed your files and do the bounce or print them in to a second system... the options are endless. IMHO many people (not all) who strike PT out as a useless mastering app. are narrow minded and don´t know what the are talking about and are building there judgment on some very old info from other narrow minded people , old limited Digi 001 systems so far far from the flexibility of a proper TDM system with proper interface or with the newer RTAS on powerful G5 Mac used in conjunction with your favorite analog gear.

Respect !

BB
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU View Post
It's a very interesting perspective, though a tedious way of work.

I use Logic and it's engine turns off the unused plugins so I can use the CPU at its maximum power for each track (assuming you don't do crossfades, I do the disc project with fades etc in WaveBurner, which btw, has a similar behaviour regarding unused plugins).

Or you can always freeze the finished tracks and if you want to change something then unfreeze, do the changes and freeze again.
You can also turn off unused plugs in PT, but if you want to hear the transitions from song to song or jump from song to song without have to solo and mute each time keeping everything in separate tracks isn't going to work. It's about flow ...

Besides, turning plugs on and off when it isn't needed would be more tedious would it not?

Working this way also allows you to hear either the finished product or any point in the chain by busing that point to another interface and monitoring from there. I use the Dangerous monitor ST for this and once the project is setup can just click a button to change the source input and A/B/C and D very quickly even against reference material for the client. I love working this way though I realize it's not for everyone.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by masteringhouse View Post
I love working this way though I realize it's not for everyone.
That's the great thing about working with PT in mastering.

Flexible routing, nearly unlimited tracks, channels, regions, playlists, etc, etc, etc...

So many different ways you can approach it... whatever floats ones proverbial vessel.

I keep a Command 8 control surface on my left side, so I don't have to reach for the mouse or keyboard for everything (btw I don't use it's monitoring functions).

Joe, Mike, Fred, & Irving can have vastly different ways of working, but all turn out good masters... 'course they'll need a different app to burn, but that's another story.

Best - JT
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Maniac

sonic has a few apps worthy of mentioning.
soundblade works fine for me.
Old 5th September 2007

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search