The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Q for Alesis Masterlink aficionados Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Q for Alesis Masterlink aficionados

I've got a job coming up where the mixes are all on a Masterlink @ 24/96.

The client seems to have very limited knowledge of the machine, and couldn't tell me if it would be possible to extract the files to a DVD or harddisk. He's going to deliver the machine to me to work with.

Soooooo, could any of you fine fellows tell me the the possibilities regarding the Masterlink?.......can you extract the files easily to a DVD?.....what file format does it use?.....any pitfalls to be aware of?.....my usual way of working is to load all the stuff in the DAW first, so i'd rather not master "live" from the masterlink!
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius van H View Post
I've got a job coming up where the mixes are all on a Masterlink @ 24/96.

The client seems to have very limited knowledge of the machine, and couldn't tell me if it would be possible to extract the files to a DVD or harddisk. He's going to deliver the machine to me to work with.

Soooooo, could any of you fine fellows tell me the the possibilities regarding the Masterlink?.......can you extract the files easily to a DVD?.....what file format does it use?.....any pitfalls to be aware of?.....my usual way of working is to load all the stuff in the DAW first, so i'd rather not master "live" from the masterlink!
It been quite a few years since mine fried(converters & drive).
You can use as a playback machine through digital outs. If you want to import to your DAW as you have said above you have to burn in the CD24 for higher resolution files. this creates the ISO 9660 disc format and AIFF audio files witch should easily open in most systems. you may need a stack of discs to get through a full cd project.
Hope this helps....
Ed
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

The Masterlink only makes CDs and CDROMs in CD24 format - standard aiff files. If the tracks are short enough, burn them to CD24s and load them into your DAW of choice.

Otherwise, play them on the ML and record them digitally to your DAW. Very simple, and ask is you have questions once you get the machne in. It is simple but primitive, as they have not updated the machine for many years. There's no reason it could not have a Firewire port or burn DVDs except laziness and bankruptcy on Alesis' part. But the new owners of the company as chosen not to advance the design, thus they are losing to other brands.

But I have two and can walk you thru it if needed.

Lou
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Ed, Lou, thanks for the info!............I'll give it a go!
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
If it wasn't perfectly understood there - CD24's are literally nothing more than 24-bit AIFF files on a disc. You can load them in via "drag 'n drop" as you would any other file.

You do NOT need the MasterLink by any means.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASSIVE Master View Post
If it wasn't perfectly understood there - CD24's are literally nothing more than 24-bit AIFF files on a disc. You can load them in via "drag 'n drop" as you would any other file.

You do NOT need the MasterLink by any means.
John, the files are already on the ML. Unless the client burns them and brings the CDROMs, he does need it... Do you trust clients to burn their own master files? Well, maybe...

Lou
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
Do you trust clients to burn their own master files? Well, maybe...

Lou
Man I wouldn't. It's so simple, and if they already feel the need to send you the unit...

Here's a link to the manual on PDF:

Alesis | Manuals
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Whoops - Sorry - I thought we were talking about a CD24.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search