The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Master tape recorder Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 6th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant0nwax View Post
The english machine finished at 350 EUR

The german with butterflies finished at 600 EUR (but no NAB, and no thing to put the tape on dunno the name)
The thing to put the tape on is a "NAB adaptor". NAB spools cost pennies on eBay, and the used adaptors around 40 euros, so not significant.

Wow - 600 euros is a LOT of money for a PR99 , someone obviously wanted it badly!

I agree that the Otari MTR10 (and MTR12 ) are nice machines. I mixed on one for a few years in the 1980's very happily. However in Europe there are only a few guys who service Otari machines now, and their rates are expensive. If you get a problem it won't be cheap to have it sorted.... So many European broadcasters had Studers and PR99's that there are a lot of machines and parts out there , and many guys who have service experience.

I would set an eBay automated search for PR99 and PR-99, and one just for Studer and see what comes up.

Although they don't have meters, the older Studer B62 machines often go cheap nowadays, are very solidly built indeed, and sound excellent. A seller on ebay.de used to have a whole pile of ex-German government B62's - previously used by the Grenzpolizei for logging phone calls!!!!!!!!!!!!...:-)

Cheers,

Gwyn
Old 10th April 2010
Here for the gear

Hello !

I got an ex BBC A807 MKI from UK in November and it was in good condition, the heads is ok, but going to be relapped. The JRF Magnetic Sciences take about $80 for replapping a 1/4 " Studer head.

Now another ex BBC A807 MKII is on the way from UK, I was looking for a second head block so I could have several head configurations, but I got the whole recorder for the same price as a head block. This is not in as good condition as the MKI at least not cosmetically. I'm going to take the best parts from both and make one great A807. But as I said above, the MKI is in good condition, but the MKII takes larger reels.

The MkI was £499 and the MKII was £370.

There is at least one disadvantage with the A807. It was the last Studer open reel and it is a budget model. The mechanical parts are in my opinion ok Studer quality, but the audio electronics is not as good as it could be. The audio boards are picking up digital distortion from the tape electronics. The 9600 Hz going from the processor board to the capstan board can be heard really well, but there are other frequencies too that can be heard. I'm working on to get rid of these.

I will get back when I have worked out the problem...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search