The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Amp Headache! (involving Bryston and Levinson) Studio Monitors
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Oh - no doubt (and no offense to the Bryston people on this - it's just true) - the Levinson is a WAY more high-end amp - much more amp than a Bryston. WAY faster response, beefier in every way and more detailed than most - I used to them with a pair of Dunlavy SC-V's - but on the PMC's - I don't know that that buys you a hole lot more than extra ear fatigue at the end of a long day. As it stands - without the Film Filters - the IB-1's's are un-listenable (IMO). I just prefer the Bryston - regardless of whether it's less-cool than the Levinson. To be honest - it's really no comparison between the two - one is a super high-end audiophile amp and the other is a studio workhorse--S
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosrite View Post
Hi Stephen,
My first thought upon getting the PMCs was to go Bryston as that is what they recommend and the company that they work with etc.

But my ears are telling me that it is the Levinson that is making these IB1s sing.

As you have owned both, I am curious as to whether you heard any of the things that I described in my previous post?

Also, regards the power supply issues, this amp seems to have gone for 10 yrs with no issue. Surely I can assume that it means it's pretty solid from that fact alone?

Thomas, I am just running single wire to them. I am going to come across as real ignorant now but the Levinson actually has 2 sets of binding posts on each channel. Does that mean I can Bi-Amp the PMCs? In the literature I cannot find an explanation for this extra pair of posts!!

Don't get me wrong, the Bryston is obviously a great amp. But after a few days of getting used to this Levinson the transparency is addictive! I simply cannot hear the detail with the Bryston that I can with the Levinson. Maybe the Bryston is a broken unit?
Bi wiring is running two sets of cables from the amplifier to the separate terminals on the speakers for hi and low. For tri-wiring three sets of cables for hi, low and mids. I have never used the PMCs so I don't know the configuration but it looks like they are designed for tri-wiring. The extra terminals on the Levinson may be for just such a purpose or maybe for you to hook up a sub woofer feed to the sub-woofer speaker inputs. On our system I have three separate sets of terminals on the Alon IVs. One set is labeled low, on set is labeled mids and the other set is labeled highs. I have three sets of wires running to each speaker. A common and hot for the lows, a common and hot for the mids and other set for the highs. It works very well. When I first got the Alon IVs they had jumpers between each of the commons and hots and were designed to be driven with one set of wires. The triwiring really sounded much better.

We originally were using #10 welding cables, then we tried Monster cables and finally decided to get some SignaFlex by Signature Wire here is their website
Signature Wire, Corp. - SignaFlex™ Speaker Cable The changes were interesting and so far the SignaFlex sounds the best to my ears. The Bryston is located on a Granite slab, the speaker cables are about 1.5 meters long and the two Alon IVs are located on Granite slabs. A very good sounding setup. The welding cable was too bright, the Monster was very good but the SignaFlex made the speakers come alive. I am not a big TWEAKER but I have to say that good speakers cables can be the difference between a good sounding amp/speaker and a GREAT one.

Bi amping or tri amping is using three amplifiers to drive each of the Low, Mids and Highs in your speakers and some people say that even sounds better than tri-wiring

Best of luck.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

So Stephen, did you figure that one out with the Levinson? (as in, is the extra pair of posts for b-amping?)
Old 23rd August 2007
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
The 3 pairs on the IB1 backplate are for tri-wiring or tri-amping.
Or you can bi-wire or bi-amp and use a bridge (i.e. bass driver/mid+high driver).
Or just use 1 amp and 1 set of wires.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
The 3 pairs on the IB1 backplate are for tri-wiring or tri-amping.
Or you can bi-wire or bi-amp and use a bridge (i.e. bass driver/mid+high driver).
Or just use 1 amp and 1 set of wires.
Hi Riccardo, yeah I got that. It was the extra posts on the amp that confused me but I just found out they are for bi-wiring not bi-amping (unlike a dual channel amp). Cheers.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Just picked up a Pass Labs X250 which should be arriving in the next few weeks, looking forward to hearing what this puppy can do...
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGray View Post
Just picked up a Pass Labs X250 which should be arriving in the next few weeks, looking forward to hearing what this puppy can do...
Hey Matt, did you get new speakers?
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidwaves View Post
Hey Matt, did you get new speakers?
No I thought I'd hook it up to my BM6A's stike haha Actually all jokes aside, I haven't bought my new speakers yet, one thing for sure the X250 has always been on my short list of amps to buy, so when this one came up for the right price I jumped on it. This will also help out when I audition new speakers soon.

On my shortlist for speakers are B&W802D's, Lipinski L707's, Duntech DSM15's & possibly Sovereigns if my budget stretches that far.

Matt
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Disclosure

OK - I lied - but I thought I was telling the truth! I DON'T have a IB-1/4B set-up - that was my old studio - my current set-up is with a pair of 7B monoblocks. Not a huge change - but I did want to clarify as I was speaking out my yoohoo

As to the Levinson amp - I ran mine full-band-width through a set of Music Wave cables (big garden hose monsters with a little box mid-cable-length - 10 ft overall each if you're counting) to Dunlavy SC-V's and then ran a set of custom Dunlavy subs powered by a Crown reference 1 amp - this was a monster set-up - if you have a gigantic mastering room.

It's currently owned by Garrett @ Treelady - (the same one I used at Sony and the old Threshold studio) only change is ther sub amp, we kept the Crowns and I think he went with a Bryston believe it or not.

check it out - here it is:

Treelady Studios

I don't generally recommend the competition but - cool studio - great guy

Anyhow, as a point of comparison - I've tried a Crown reference 1 amp with the IB-1's as well and they didn't sound very good at all to my ear. Not that anyone mentioned that amp - just thought I'd throw it out there as an experience FWIW--Steph

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search