The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
mastering out Tape Hiss with Waves X-Noise Noise Reduction & Restoration Plugins
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

mastering out Tape Hiss with Waves X-Noise

Anyone every use Waves X-Noise to get rid of tape hiss. Any particual settings you've found usefull. I'm mastering an old Hip-Hop CD that was done on tape and the client requested trying to minimize the tape his. I played around and am having trouble finding the right compromise between minimizing the hiss and not killing the high end to much
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Best thing to do is preview a section without music and use the learn function.

Do several passes of reduction with soft settings using the learn function each time.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenovice View Post
Best thing to do is preview a section without music and use the learn function.

Do several passes of reduction with soft settings using the learn function each time.
that is how I have done it before and same with in soundsoap. I don't know if I preffer either of them but both seem to digitize the sound a bit in a weird way.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
fwiw -
in my tests I've found I've gotten slightly better results than Waves X-Noise using the broadband noise reduction (using learn functions) from the less expensive Acon Digital Studio Clean - Acon Digital Media, Products or Virtos Audio Noise Wizard - Virtos Audio - Restoration, Noise Reduction and Enhancement

As far as tape hiss - a lot of times to me it is far preferable to keep it. When leaving it in it on an album it's often best to leave a piece of just noise in between tracks instead of fading to digital black/dither.

Otherwise - if the tape hiss is really bad - I just attenuate slightly on the softer sections (usually intros) where it is noticeable.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I'm not in front of it, but I know there's a control to let you raise or lower the high frequencies while processing, so not hearing the source, I'd say to experiment with that to try to maintain as much of the high frequencies, but it's always a tradeoff.

I personally use Adobe Audition's built-in noise reduction; I have access to the X-series effects at the studio I work out of, but do this sort of processing at home, so it could be personal preference more than anything.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

Tape hiss is your friend.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Noise reduction is always a trade-off, for sure, and MUST be employed judiciously to avoid that nasty digital sound.....multiple light passes.

Not sure about tape hiss since I am completely within the box, but for amp hiss and that pesky build-up of other various and sundry background noise that results from my less than stellar tracking environment....I use Z-Noise.

It has a wonderful adaptive feature that picks out the offending noise while you play the track.

I like to leave some amp noise in.......where applicable.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

I've used Waves Restoration bundle a lot but when it came time to purchase I got this instead.

Wave Arts Master Restoration

The demo is fully functional for 30 days. Give it a try and see if it works any better.
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

Verified Member
Voxengo Redunoise
With its multiband processing and the transition band it has saved my day several times.

Voxengo
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

also try the sony denoise, much better than waves x-noise
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastertone View Post
Voxengo Redunoise
With its multiband processing and the transition band it has saved my day several times.

Voxengo
I've got that one as well... not my favorite. VERY DIFFICULT TO USE in comparison to others and not much more effective.

Good but not great....
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambroise View Post
also try the sony denoise, much better than waves x-noise
sony denoise doesn't exist anymore, does it? waves z-noise is better.
Old 23rd August 2007
Motown legend

Verified Member
I've never found one to be better than the others, just different. I'd recommend having a variety available if you need to do this stuff very much. It's also really easy to get excited and use noise reduction far too aggressively.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search