The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mastering Monitors under $3k Studio Monitors
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Head

Mastering Monitors under $3k

I have relatively small room for mastering but would like to get some decent monitors. I am probably going to have to do my mastering on near-fields so I was thinking about getting a pair of Meyer HD-1s, but I imagine that there is something better out there for the money these days.

I have been using Genelec 1030s and I have learned to compensate for their "prettiness," but I want something better. My room is too small for B&Ws or Dun Leavey's. I would love to get the Barefoot's , but I don't have the $6500 budget.

Any suggestions would be much apprecaited. Thanks so much.

--m
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Nut

I just got a pair of Lipinski L-505's for $1800 and a bel canto amp for $900 off of audiogon to replace my dynaudio nearfields. I'll also be getting a sub shortly to fill in the bottom. Also, B&W N805 can be found for less than $2000, and dunlavy SC series i are their "bookshelf" model. All these would benefit from having a sub though.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
You have numerous options. Like he said... you can get the B&W 805's with sub, or the Lipinskis or whatever. I'd stay away from near-fields.

Regards,
Bruce
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Verified Member
A $3g budget should easily get you a pair of Thiel CS 3.5 or 3.6 & a Bryston 4B ST off of AudiogoN high end audio auctions, classifieds, hifi chat

The Thiel's are power hungry 3 way floor standers with a "time coherent" design - a tiny bit on the bright side but very detailed, and well worth considering as a "starter" pair for mastering.

fwiw - these are what Paul Zinman was using at Soundbyte about 4 years ago when I had one of my projects mastered by him.

If you can find Infinity RS4.5 with the EMIT and EMIM's in good shape would also be a "sleeper" pair that if paired with a powerful and clean enough amp are definitely up for the job and could probably be found used cheap - I used these with Neumann SAL84 amps when I was at Europadisk.

Also - keep on the look out for used Dunlavy SCIII or Aletha's - these can often be gotten inexpensively and both sound great and usually can be found in your budget range. If you push your budget just a tiny bit you can also probably pick up a pair of SCIV's.

The Alon IV's and V's also can be gotten used fairly inexpensively and also another good option.

For amps besides the ubiquitous Bryston with very good bang for buck - check out Rotel RB1080 ./ RB1090 or Adcom.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2502 View Post
I have relatively small room for mastering but would like to get some decent monitors. I am probably going to have to do my mastering on near-fields so I was thinking about getting a pair of Meyer HD-1s, but I imagine that there is something better out there for the money these days.

I have been using Genelec 1030s and I have learned to compensate for their "prettiness," but I want something better. My room is too small for B&Ws or Dun Leavey's. I would love to get the Barefoot's , but I don't have the $6500 budget.

Any suggestions would be much apprecaited. Thanks so much.

--m
I also had 1030s in my mastering room before. But I think they are difficult to to use in mastering. Much more suited for mixing & during tracking. So when I move them into my recording room and moved my Krk V4 into the mastering room. It all fell into place. I use my b&w 801 for mastering and the Krk V4 (to check the result on small speakers).

The 1030s brought back inspiration into the recording room. Where I also have Krk V6 with extra sub. But they are a bit tirering (for my ears) if used during many hour long sessions. But awesome to mix with.

I also had to turn down the high end on 1030s because IMHO it is very hyped.

I also have a pair of Event SP8s in the mastering room, that was my big
speakers before I got the 801s. Compared to both 1030s & b&w they sound a bit
'canny' (like the sound come out from a big can or box).

Perhaps you could get bigger Genelec speakers or add a sub?
Or PMC speakers?

Old 17th August 2007
Gear Guru

Verified Member
We have two sets of Alon IVs. One for each of our mastering rooms.

I believe the original price for a pair was $4500. We got our first pair for under $3000 and the second pair for about the same price.

You don't need a sub and the imaging is very good. The one very nice feature of the speakers is that you cannot hear the crossover points. You can take a variable oscillator and go up and down in frequency and there are no tell tale dips at the crossover frequency.

You can see them in use here Acoustik Musik One pair has the top enclosure removed the other pair does not which is why they look different in the pictures.

We are driving one pair with a Bryston 3B and the other pair with a Bryston 4B. Both rooms have Benchmark DAC-1 for the monitor controller. They are normally available on AUDIOGON and our local used hi fi dealers has had a couple of pairs in over the last few years.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Using B&W Matrix 801 Series II powered by Brystons in a very small room (10x12-ish). At first I though they would be overpowering but they work quite well. $4000 s/h though...

Last edited by mars; 17th August 2007 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: correction

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search