The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mastering for Kunaki Vinyl
Old 6 days ago
  #1
Here for the gear
 
Mastering for Kunaki Vinyl

Hi, I just wanted to share something I found that helps for mastering your music for Vinyl using Kunaki's Vinyl service.

A bit of backstory first:
I tried their service when it first came out. I just uploaded my master tracks - the same audio I used on my CD. But when the record arrived, it was muddy and had no real top end. It was also very distorted in some parts.

Then I did some research and found out about the RIAA curve. I asked Kunaki if they apply the RIAA curve to the audio before cutting it. They told me no - that they just cut exactly the audio you send them into the vinyl!

So with my next attempt I applied the RIAA curve to the audio I uploaded. What I received back sounded much better, but it was lacking a lot of bass.

But now having two examples of the audio I sent them, and the audio that came back, I was able to find out what their process was doing to the audio and account for it in order to bring balance to the final product.


So here's what I did, and it turned out not too bad compared to my first attempt (audio examples below):

-VERY light limiting - almost no limiting at all really.

And just before the limiter, two plug ins:
1) Olaf Matthes RIAA curve VST plugin with the "inverse" curve

2) ReaEQ with the following bands:
low shelf @ 558Hz, +8.6 Gain, bandwidth 0.01
band @ 49.9 Hz, +18.2 Gain, bandwidth 2.00
band @ 1143Hz, +3.6 Gain, bandwidth 4.00
high shelf @ 7191.4 Hz, +4.4 Gain, bandwidth 2.00


So you can listen below what the end result sounds like I've attached .mp3 files of the .mp3 download of a song, and the audio of the same song I took right from the vinyl record.

Like I said, it's not perfect, but it's definitely better than if you just upload your tracks, and if you're struggling like me, then hopefully this will help you out.

Also keep in mind I'm not a pro mastering engineer. I'm just some guy who wanted to put my own album on vinyl.

If you have a better system of mastering for Kunaki, let me know!
Attached Files
Old 5 days ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
X-Pand Sound Mastering's Avatar
 
Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
If you found a way to have it sounding better then well done. What I don't understand is why didn't you send this to be mastered and cut to vinyl the traditionnal way in the first place ? Is it because of the price ? (genuine question as i don't know Kunaki nor their prices)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick43 ➡️
Hi, I just wanted to share something I found that helps for mastering your music for Vinyl using Kunaki's Vinyl service.

A bit of backstory first:
I tried their service when it first came out. I just uploaded my master tracks - the same audio I used on my CD. But when the record arrived, it was muddy and had no real top end. It was also very distorted in some parts.

Then I did some research and found out about the RIAA curve. I asked Kunaki if they apply the RIAA curve to the audio before cutting it. They told me no - that they just cut exactly the audio you send them into the vinyl!

So with my next attempt I applied the RIAA curve to the audio I uploaded. What I received back sounded much better, but it was lacking a lot of bass.

But now having two examples of the audio I sent them, and the audio that came back, I was able to find out what their process was doing to the audio and account for it in order to bring balance to the final product.


So here's what I did, and it turned out not too bad compared to my first attempt (audio examples below):

-VERY light limiting - almost no limiting at all really.

And just before the limiter, two plug ins:
1) Olaf Matthes RIAA curve VST plugin with the "inverse" curve

2) ReaEQ with the following bands:
low shelf @ 558Hz, +8.6 Gain, bandwidth 0.01
band @ 49.9 Hz, +18.2 Gain, bandwidth 2.00
band @ 1143Hz, +3.6 Gain, bandwidth 4.00
high shelf @ 7191.4 Hz, +4.4 Gain, bandwidth 2.00


So you can listen below what the end result sounds like I've attached .mp3 files of the .mp3 download of a song, and the audio of the same song I took right from the vinyl record.

Like I said, it's not perfect, but it's definitely better than if you just upload your tracks, and if you're struggling like me, then hopefully this will help you out.

Also keep in mind I'm not a pro mastering engineer. I'm just some guy who wanted to put my own album on vinyl.

If you have a better system of mastering for Kunaki, let me know!
Old 5 days ago
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Wait a vinyl service which doesn't do the RIAA curve?

What?
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
  #4
Lives for gear
 
misjah's Avatar
 
Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness ➡️
Wait a vinyl service which doesn't do the RIAA curve?

What?
its a one off service Joe...and ye never heard of that either. doesn't sound too pro
Old 5 days ago
  #5
Gear Guru
 
Thomas W. Bethe's Avatar
 
Verified Member
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Here is their website...https://kunaki.com/vinylrevolution.htm The site looks a bit strange...to say the least. I guess you get what you don't pay for. $33 for a one off Vinyl record...WOW!

It has been my experience that most DIY "vinyl cutters" don't go much above 12 KHz and some top out a lot less. Also most vinyl cutters that I know about have built in RIAA equalization for the cutter head. A lot depends on what it is that they are using to cut the vinyl, a Neumann or Scully lathe or some DIY vinyl cutter.

Personally I would shop around some more...
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by misjah ➡️
its a one off service Joe...and ye never heard of that either. doesn't sound too pro
Oh I see it's a lathe cut service.

AFIAK all the lathe systems have the RIAA built in?

Probably worth asking on Lathe Trolls!
Old 5 days ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Edward_Vinatea's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick43 ➡️

2) ReaEQ with the following bands:
low shelf @ 558Hz, +8.6 Gain, bandwidth 0.01
band @ 49.9 Hz, +18.2 Gain, bandwidth 2.00
band @ 1143Hz, +3.6 Gain, bandwidth 4.00
high shelf @ 7191.4 Hz, +4.4 Gain, bandwidth 2.00


So you can listen below what the end result sounds like I've attached .mp3 files of the .mp3 download of a song, and the audio of the same song I took right from the vinyl record.

Like I said, it's not perfect, but it's definitely better than if you just upload your tracks, and if you're struggling like me, then hopefully this will help you out.

Also keep in mind I'm not a pro mastering engineer. I'm just some guy who wanted to put my own album on vinyl.

If you have a better system of mastering for Kunaki, let me know!
Those EQ settings are nuts and the result is, quite frankly, not a big surprise.

Anyway, it's an intriguing product but I wouldn't normally trust a service that uses a website design from the 1990's.

FWIW,
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
  #8
Lives for gear
 
misjah's Avatar
 
Verified Member
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness ➡️
Oh I see it's a lathe cut service.

AFIAK all the lathe systems have the RIAA built in?

Probably worth asking on Lathe Trolls!
ye it should have unless its completely DIY....and with those prices it must be...when i still had time to do lathecuts it was 3x as expensive (but it was very close to a pressed record)
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #9
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Pand Sound Mastering ➡️
If you found a way to have it sounding better then well done. What I don't understand is why didn't you send this to be mastered and cut to vinyl the traditionnal way in the first place ? Is it because of the price ? (genuine question as i don't know Kunaki nor their prices)
Ya, it was the price haha. Kunaki is a fulfillment company that does CD's DVD's and now... lathe cut records. $33 for a one off. Plus they cut it, and ship it within 24 hours of you ordering.

All great, but it is an automated service and you get what you pay for in audio quality.
Old 4 days ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Verified Member
🎧 10 years
FWIW I am a DJ and sometimes play on vinyl.

I use Vinyl Dubplates from Dubstudio and they are really great.

Henry has mastered the Vinyl Recorder, I have seen him demonstrate it in an educational setting twice also.

It's entirely possible to get great PVC one offs, just need to shop around.
📝 Reply
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump