The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pro Tools rigs in mastering houses? Dynamics Plugins
Old 1st November 2002
Gearslutz.com admin

Pro Tools rigs in mastering houses?

Do folks see PT rigs in mastering suites nowadays?
Old 1st November 2002
Lives for gear

I have yet to see one as "the" system in a high end mastering house, personally.

Lot's of Sonic Solutions and the occasional Sadie around here.

Regards,
Brian T
Old 1st November 2002
Brian,

Lynn Fuston is mastering with his PT rig, although he's taking a serious look at the new SADiE system these days.
Old 1st November 2002
Lives for gear

As much as I can...... I ensure the mastering engineer to not overcompress my mixes... the less amount of generation loss.... and the most flexibility... It's the greatest...
Old 1st November 2002
Gear Head

When I had my new record mastered at Colossal in Chicago, Dan Stout had an LE rig that he used mainly as a tape machine for my files which were SDII's. He's using an AudioCube system, I believe, which was running on NT at the time.

Dave
Old 1st November 2002
Motown legend

Verified Member
I use an LE system and find it to be really good sounding provided I use jitter reduction and high-end converters wrapped around it.

I used to use a TDM system and got away with it by only using two tracks set to "zero" and having high-end monitoring so I could really hear what was broken and what wasn't. I also always test the bit-integrity of different processes with a scope before using them. There are a number of amazingly bad plug-ins that may sound reasonable on NS-10s but clearly are seriously flawed if you listen using a high res monitor path.

I think it would be pretty foolish to try and run a full-out facility with "Slow-Tools" but for my little boutique operation it's doable and I'm hesitant to invest in anything more until the second shoe drops in the area of SACD. I would buy a SaDie system in a heartbeat if I had to knock out 5 to 10 albums a week.
Old 2nd November 2002
Gearslutz.com admin

Bob do you feel (or know) if the LE system has the edge on the Mix soundwise for mastering? (the 32bit path for plugs etc etc)

?

Thoughts?
Old 2nd November 2002
Lives for gear

Also Bob, out of curiosity, what would be your shortlist of "bad" plugs to avoid? On TDM systems I am very cautious about passing my audio thru anything that is not 48bit double-precision. At the very least I listen intently to undesirable side effects that could be introduced... I generally end up taking the plug off.
Old 2nd November 2002
FX smörgåsbord user

I don't know about Mastering houses using Pro Tools, but a couple of months ago when I was at Sterling with Ted Jensen (an amazingly talented man) I was surprised while at the same time feeling validated by my plug-in selection. Ted was using two native versions of Waves plug-ins on his PC based hard disk system (don't remember its name). He used the Waves De-Esser and the Linear Phase Multiband. I just couldn't believe it; I said those are the plug-ins I use. He said he loves them.

It goes without saying with Ted the record came out great.
Old 2nd November 2002
Gear Maniac

I see a lot a mastering guys using the AudioCube. If you look closer, they´re using native VST plugins from Steinberg......same as Cubase....

Scary ??!
Old 2nd November 2002
Motown legend

Verified Member
The 32 bit path is more forgiving. You can actually turn the audio well up into what would be clipping a TDM system and then turn it back down the same amount and it passes the audio bit-accurate.
Old 3rd November 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Neve Sucks!
I see a lot a mastering guys using the AudioCube. If you look closer, they´re using native VST plugins from Steinberg......same as Cubase....

Scary ??!
No, and not quite accurate.

Audiocube uses plug-ins called VPI's (Virtual Precision Instruments), which are custom 64-bit floating point plug-ins that are the basis of the AudioCube's processing engine. AudioCube also supports DirectX and VST plug-ins, but in general, neither DX or VST compare sonically to the VPI's. This is because the VPI's, in addition to being extremely well-coded and sonically excellent, use the Cube's ability to process at 64-bit flo-po.
Old 4th November 2002
Gear Head

It was explained to me, and the way I saw it, the Audio Cube system is really a hotwired version of Wavelab.

Dave
Old 4th November 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

The Cube is a hotwired version of Wavelab to the point that it is easily on par with Sonic Solutions or Sadie mastering machines. I would call it specialized.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search