The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Mac Pro Tower?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelmarques View Post
I honestly think the Mac Pro is a bad investment for most audio folks, unless you really need insane track count and a ton of virtual instruments it isn’t really worth the price.
One advantage that Apple's pro stuff has is ECC memory.

Statistically it can save your behind/your data.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I recently got a top of the line mini with 64 gigs of ram. It is plenty powerful for audio. But, if you can afford the pro tower, get it. Can never have too much power. For Vienna Symphonic I might eventually add a second mini. Now that’s a great option.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Verified Member
1 Review written
And now Apple is going to be making all their own chips which will probably not be compatible with the Intel chipsets they currently use.
See https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-53142989

FWIW

I am sure people who shelled out big bucks for the new MacPros are thrilled with the possibility that Mac software may not work with their Intel chips in a year or two.
Nice play APPLE!!!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
And now Apple is going to be making all their own chips which will probably not be compatible with the Intel chipsets they currently use.
See https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-53142989

FWIW

I am sure people who shelled out big bucks for the new MacPros are thrilled with the possibility that Mac software may not work with their Intel chips in a year or two.
Nice play APPLE!!!
Yeah, that’s really bizarre!

What would Steve Jobs do?

Another reason for me to stay back a generation or two on Macs.

Cheers, JT
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Now we have advertising down the sidebar here on GS???? >>>>>>>>

Eating up even more screen real estate!

Sorely disappointed in the owners for doing this.... Jules?

Before we know it, the actual text will be the size of a postage stamp.

JT
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Verified Member
1 Review written
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb View Post
Now we have advertising down the sidebar here on GS???? >>>>>>>>

Eating up even more screen real estate!

Sorely disappointed in the owners for doing this.... Jules?

Before we know it, the actual text will be the size of a postage stamp.

JT
No such advertising noted here. Agree there is way too much advertising. Pretty soon the advertising will be bigger than the content. I guess G/S needs the money but there has to be a better way.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

If I have the money, I'd fork out for a new mac pro.

I'm using 2018 Mac Mini 32gb of ram. When I use oversampling for mastering plugins, my cpu froze a couple of times.
Old 6 days ago
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
2 Reviews written
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbonmicguy View Post
If I have the money, I'd fork out for a new mac pro.

I'm using 2018 Mac Mini 32gb of ram. When I use oversampling for mastering plugins, my cpu froze a couple of times.
Ah! That is very helpful to know...unfortunately. May I ask what DAW are you using?
Cheers!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I'd wait for the new generation of chips (developers are already given access to ARM based test macs to prepare their software for "Big Sur").

Apple isn't exactly into backward compatibility. And most third parties struggle at offering backward support in context of Apple's predictably unpredictable environment.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo View Post
Ah! That is very helpful to know...unfortunately. May I ask what DAW are you using?
Cheers!
Excuse me for shameless plug..
I've played with 2018 space grey Mac Minis, and had "middle" i5 model for a while, before I prepared it for colleague and its development projects.
It's definitely vast improvement over any previous mini model.
They managed to stuff there a CPU with higher TDP (nominal is 55W, not sure what exact target set by Apple is there), that was main issue of all previous models, which has that target somewhere under 30W.

Whether it will be sufficient for particular job really depends on workload. According to what I tried, it can be fine for not so heavy mixing with even with contemporary plugins. For conventional stereo mastering (eg. two, three tracks with some FX chain) it's should be fine IMO/IME.
Of course, if someone works say in 192k surround and use some hefty chains at stems there, it might not be ideal machine.
Similarly I can imagine, when someone mastering/mixtering is, he will open complete session with VIs, which already touches some ceiling of realtime processing, and just put another five heavy plugins at master bus, it doesn't necessarily work for that.

Comparison to older cheese grater MacPros is bit difficult, it has mainly significantly higher single core performance, which is good for longer FX chains and smaller projects, it has also quick storage and overall it feels much snappier. Also some plugins can benefit from CPU instructions, which wasn't at old CPUs.. (like Waves or Voxengo, where lot of their heavier plugs can use AVX).
On the other hand some sustained multicore workload can be hard for thermal limitations of small enclosure, so it might be noisy and start to throttle CPU speed, which is definitely problematic. Fans in old big case will also spin a bit, but it can handle such load all day long. But during my (relatively sane, no VIs or so) audio tests, I didn't have issues with that.. although someone, who does video rendering, big projects or lengthy compilations might perceive that.

Speaking of DAWs, I used mainly Reaper and PT 2019 demo there, which are both quite efficient. I can imagine, someone who use Ableton Live or so, which isn't exactly comparable in that regard might also hit the ceiling sooner with heavier effect processing.

So to sum that up, I personally wouldn't be afraid of that for mastering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabienTDR View Post
I'd wait for the new generation of chips (developers are already given access to ARM based test macs to prepare their software for "Big Sur").

Apple isn't exactly into backward compatibility. And most third parties struggle at offering backward support in context of Apple's predictably unpredictable environment.
Well that also makes sense in general. Although IMO it mainly depends on actual needs, if someone is pretty much secured with current computer, it might be worth of wait.
But in case of Jerry and the description in OP, I'd guess, Mac mini makes most sense to me, if he wants to use SoundBlade (with pretty much uncertain future development and last supported version at Mojave).

Michal
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo View Post
Cheers!
I am using Protools Native 2020.5.

The oversampling is used in Standard Clipper, Fabfilter Pro L2, soothe and some other plugins.

If i use 2-4x oversampling it is working great. If I use more than that, I get a -9073 dae error (cpu spike) in Protools.

The 2018 Macmini is working great for mixing (without much oversampling plugins used). I am using 2 UAD Octo Satellites.
Old 5 days ago
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
2 Reviews written
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbonmicguy View Post
I am using Protools Native 2020.5.

The oversampling is used in Standard Clipper, Fabfilter Pro L2, soothe and some other plugins.

If i use 2-4x oversampling it is working great. If I use more than that, I get a -9073 dae error (cpu spike) in Protools.

The 2018 Macmini is working great for mixing (without much oversampling plugins used). I am using 2 UAD Octo Satellites.
Ok, thanks. That is a PT issue as usual.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
As a stop gap solution, i did buy a 2014 Mac Mini 3.0 i7 w 16GB & 1TB SSD Fusion drive.

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/m...014-specs.html

Although originally it ran on 10.10 Yosemite, this one was “upgraded” to Mojave 10.14, which i didn't want.

So task one was to downgrade back to OS X Sierra 10.12, which became quite the job to accomplish.

apparently Sierra and soundBlade HD play really well together.

I’ve had quite a busy Mastering schedule, but I spent about an hour per day working on the downgrade.

I had lots of help from the Sonic Users group, here’s the procedure:

6-30-2020
So finally got the new 2014 Mac mini reformatted with Sierra installed, BOOM!
It was quite the trial-by-fire, but I succeeded.
1. Unlocked & Partitioned the Fusion APFS SSD into two halves.
2. Formatted the 2nd partition to MacOS Extended Journaled.
3. Rebooted in Target Mode. Connected a Thunderbolt cable to my MacBook Pro 2015 Sierra.
4. Ran the OS X Sierra installer from the MacBook Pro.
5. Rebooted (holding Option key) the Mac mini into Startup Manager.
6. Chose JT Sierra Partition, and Bob’s your Uncle
Whew! I had to wipe the sweat from my brow.
Now to install soundBlade HD 2.x and start testing.
I’ll consider wiping the Mojave partition later.

I may yet go to a 2018 Mac mini, loaded up with 32 or even 64GB and Mojave.

But I’ll play around with the 2014 MM & Sierra for awhile.

Cheers, JT
Old 2 days ago
GBP
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabienTDR View Post

How long would you envisage that to take for a Mac mini to come out? Or is that a how long is a piece of string question?!
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Developer are already given access to ARM mac minis, being shipped right now. I guess it probably won't take that long until Apple fully abandons intel, probably 6-12 months at max.

Doesn't mean that a high end intel mac wouldn't sell well second hand in 2025, but software support for "old macs" will largely be gone at this point.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear