The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Questions about pre mixed masters
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Questions about pre mixed masters

Hey everyone, I pray everyone is doing alright, and hope this is the right place to ask this.

I was wondering what is the dynamic range of most professional tracks pre mastered?

Reason I ask is that I usually mix with a limiter on to see how my mix will sound squashed a bit. I'm using the Fab Filter Pro L2 and have the target set around -9 LUFS. When I'm reaching for that target, the limiter is doing about 3-4 db in reduction. When I set the target range to around -14 LUFS for streaming, and aim for that, the limiter is obviously not doing anything.

With that being said, the mix sounds and feels good to me at -9 LUFS. Does that mean that when I get it mastered for streaming like on spotify -14, will spotify (or any streaming platform for that matter) add any of their own limiting, thus making my mix sound like it would at -9 LUFS, only quieter, or does that mean that my mix at -14 LUFS will be more dynamic than it would be at -9 LUFS (CD)? You obviously want your mix to stack up against other stuff in playlists, so I'm wondering how all of that works. Do mastering engineers do additional squashing and THEN aim for -14 LUFS when mastering for streaming so that the mixes sound similar between -9 CD and -14 streaming, or do I fully not get it? haha

Thanks and God bless!

Mike.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search