The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Does vinyl sound really better?
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabienTDR View Post
It's really more like a nice camp fire vs a clean modern kitchen. Both have their strong points, you can have endless fun with either.

Whether vinyl sounds better or not is largely decided in the listener's mind. But technically as a medium carrying information, it's severely restricted, outdated, expensive and objectively lossy.
Here's another analogy:
CD's like flat mirror, whereas Vinyl's all bumpy and never stands still.
Don't like what you see in the flat one? Think mirror's to blame?
Old 2 days ago
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabovic Adis View Post
Turner?
I meant the Heiligenstaedt Wekzeumaschine, seems to be a turning lathe from your gear list.
Quote:
Turner?
How do you aim your mortar? By eyeballing your target at 9053m, or by listening to the quality of explosion at impact? Don't use scopes at all?
Happy to not have been around those things killing humans and unhumans. Does not help the hearing, does it? I kind of imagine (in a tiniest way, of course), what a war is like, so no trolling here, and sorry for the slavic brethren`s state not having intervened in a sufficient way at that time, not my fault as a child citizen. But that is offtopic...

Quote:
AK to AP is like Vinyl to CD...
Oh, please, why then not having your own assault rifle system? Barrel pressed and pinched in the receiver instead of threaded is better? Come on. I concur, vinyl is older and better. ANALOG vinyl on a good playback system, microline cartridge, direct drive turntable, geometry/weight/anitiskating set up, clean short path tube or SS phono just KILLS CD in depth, not in wow-flutter, noise and dynamic range.

Let me somehow rephrase: to eliminate as much of the chain/conversions as possible, we should just get a stereopair of mics on an acoustic source in some reverberant space, like a chamber ensemble or a small choir and make a 44/16 digital recording of it and cut straight off the direct outs to lacquer, flat after setting levels and ensuring the highs\sides will not cause damage to the head\mistracking.
Or 44.16 vs tape. And then compare. I did not have an opportunity to try it with vinyl, however, I have done it with PCM 44/24, 96/24, 192/24, tape and DSD 2.8 and 5.6. 44/24 just has no chance. However, a pure analog vinyl has the same 3d-ness of tape and DSD 5.6

Last edited by DAH; 2 days ago at 11:34 PM..
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
I meant the Heiligenstaedt Wekzeumaschine, seems to be a turning lathe from your gear list.
Wut?
I absolutely have no idea how that thing ended up being on my gear list. No clue what that thing is wso...just removed it.

Quote:
Happy to not have been around those things killing humans and unhumans. Does not help the hearing, does it?
Use these and it wont hurt either.
Brings the in ear noise down to comfortable level...punch in the guts remains though.

Quote:
I kind of imagine (in a tiniest way, of course), what a war is like, so no trolling here, and sorry for the slavic brethren`s state not having intervened in a sufficient way at that time, not my fault as a child citizen. But that is offtopic...
Yep.

Quote:
Oh, please, why then not having your own assault rifle system? Barrel pressed and pinched in the receiver instead of threaded is better?
Heheheh...I have you now! :Vader:

Do you even know what AK stands for? It stands for Avtomat Kalashnikova. Кала́шникова!!!
As oposed to Automatska Puška Аутоматска Пушка. So putting you own name to indicate whom that thing belongs, instead of indicating what the damn thing is in the first place, means you alienated public property and made it your own. Made it private. Stole it! And that, my comrade, makes you a dirty capitalist.
Михаи́л, was just another fake communist - an asshole!

Quote:
Come on. I concur, vinyl is older and better. ANALOG vinyl on a good playback system, microline cartridge, direct drive turntable, geometry/weight/anitiskating set up, clean short path tube or SS phono just KILLS CD in depth, not in wow-flutter, noise and dynamic range.

Let me somehow rephrase: to eliminate as much of the chain/conversions as possible, we should just get a stereopair of mics on an acoustic source in some reverberant space, like a chamber ensemble or a small choir and make a 44/16 digital recording of it and cut straight off the direct outs to lacquer, flat after setting levels and ensuring the highs and sides will not cause damage to the head. Or 44.16 vs tape. And then compare. I did not have an opportunity to try it with vinyl, however, I have done it with PCM 44/24, 96/24, 192/24, tape and DSD 2.8 and 5.6. 44/24 just has no chance. However, a pure analog vinyl has the same 3d-ness of tape and DSD 5.6
Ouch! Didn't see that one commin'...
Alright, Mr. Suckerpunch, do me a null test on Vinyl. Or 1/4 inch Tape. Use half inch if you will.
Then come back here to get educated why you failed miserably, and why every bit of everything counts...and what a bit is in the first place, as well as how and why bits came to be. Then we'll talk. Deal?
Old 2 days ago
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wut?
I absolutely have no idea how that thing ended up being on my gear list. No clue what that thing is wso...just removed it.

Use these and it wont hurt either.
Brings the in ear noise down to comfortable level...punch in the guts remains though.

Yep.

Heheheh...I have you now! :Vader:

Do you even know what AK stands for? It stands for Avtomat Kalashnikova. Кала́шникова!!!
As oposed to Automatska Puška Аутоматска Пушка. So putting you own name to indicate whom that thing belongs, instead of indicating what the damn thing is in the first place, means you alienated public property and made it your own. Made it private. Stole it! And that, my comrade, makes you a dirty capitalist.
Михаи́л, was just another fake communist - an asshole!

Ouch! Didn't see that one commin'...
Alright, Mr. Suckerpunch, do me a null test on Vinyl. Or 1/4 inch Tape. Use half inch if you will.
Then come back here to get educated why you failed miserably, and why every bit of everything counts...and what a bit is in the first place, as well as how and why bits came to be. Then we'll talk. Deal?
So many wrong assumptions\statements at various levels of discourse scope that I will not be able\have a wish to confute them. Your deletion of a turning lathe and, probably later, your mortar and AK-47 Yugoslavian clone off of your gear list adds to your reputation of a poster not to be trusted\to be bitterly trolling.
Sorry, no more reactions.
Old 1 day ago
After the first generation of CD's came out when they had better converters I always preferred CDs do the noisy records. I was also one of the view people who had a turntable that was about $500 back 30 years ago. My Dual CS 5000 turntable with grado cartridge was better than most but you still had the pops and ticks of records and many had slight warping.

I have over 250 records in great condition with a turntable that has to be repaired. I never bothered to repair it because playing music with MP3 at 320 sounds better and I don't want to incur the cost of repairing the turntable at this point. I will have it repaired at some point but honestly to sit in front of a stereo and just play music and do nothing else........ Especially with records I have heard so many times already
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search