The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What make to sine wave look like this?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

What make to sine wave look like this?

Hi. I hope this is the correct thread to ask this question.
The picture below is a kick drum sound from commercial track.
I'm curious. What software or hardware make to sine wave look like this? It looks like added harmonics, but I have tried several saturation plugins and the results are not even close.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

That's just how the sound is stored. The actual waveform doesn't look like that on either recording or playback.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Verified Member
It's nothing but a really low-resolution render of your Sine Wave, that's how waves are stored, something similar to a digital image.

Since no one zooms that close except for fixing critical things, Softwares use low resolution processing to load the wave faster and allow you to work smoothly.

It's a perfect sine wave on the basis of your zoomed out snapshot (the one on the far left). If you wanna confirm whether these are harmonics or not, then play this wave and put on an analyzer (most EQ's have one) and see if you see any frequency except the fundamental.

Hope this helps!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar View Post
That's just how the sound is stored. The actual waveform doesn't look like that on either recording or playback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkalex View Post
It's nothing but a really low-resolution render of your Sine Wave, that's how waves are stored, something similar to a digital image.

Since no one zooms that close except for fixing critical things, Softwares use low resolution processing to load the wave faster and allow you to work smoothly.

It's a perfect sine wave on the basis of your zoomed out snapshot (the one on the far left). If you wanna confirm whether these are harmonics or not, then play this wave and put on an analyzer (most EQ's have one) and see if you see any frequency except the fundamental.

Hope this helps!
I learned something new today. Thank you guys.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search