The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Last gen AD converters -
Old 29th May 2020
Lives for gear

Yeah been digging around for one.
Found an Apogee Rosetta 200 for a bargain - seems pretty cool with the optimizer and finalizer, Coda functions.
Figured I’d get it all set up (cabling, aes, etc)
And experiment a bit before dropping 2k+ on a Burl/AD+, etc. Plus adding another 2 I/O conversion never hurts. Might still grab a PSX down the line to compare. As long as everything’s synced up and using the same
Clock I could have four different 2 channel converters via my 8 channel AES Db25 Connection on the back of my Meteic Halo ULN8 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by parisminzer View Post
PSX 100 All Day for the price. Still sounds Good in 2020. Gives that girth that a gold does when pushed. They go for next to nothing these days. Recommended.
*Edit* I’ve used the ‘Special Edition’ model. Don’t know about the original. My buddy’s got it on perms-loan. When I ask for it back for a project, he groans.
Old 30th May 2020
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Still using the PSX-100 here for tracking. What finally was the difference between the SE & the non SE?
Old 30th May 2020
Gear Maniac

The PSX 100 is substantially heavier. I believe due to the fact that they went to town on the old school linear power supply. Rosetta is probably similar but there’s something to those PSX units.

If you run it non clipped vs a modern mastering converter like Hilo than sure a Hilo will sounds more lush and open, but if clipping is your game you want the PSX.
Old 30th May 2020
Gear Nut

Verified Member
You would like to try a LavryBlue converter before procuring a PSX100 since the PSX isn't exactly a converter as per the modern standards and is outdated, as mentioned by many people on the forum, it doesn't sound as lush and open as the modern converters, you might not want to sacrifice audio quality and openness for level when you can get a satisfactory balance between both by buying a modern converter, along with which it gives you warranty support, peace of mind for getting it repaired easily.

Lavry Blue's are clipping capable converters and are very similar to their flagship Lavry Gold converters, the blues can run really hot and have sufficient headroom for analog clipping and saturation which is what you wanna try ?

They usually run for around 1.5k to 2k dollars depending upon what you want since it's a modular system, you can get as much as 8 channels of AD or DA with them or you can get one which has 2 channels of AD and 2 channels of DA for mastering purposes, which is what most people tend to purchase.

Do review anything and make sufficient tests/demos to see which one you like, in this era of loudness normalization, you might want to sacrifice a few dBs if you get way better sound.

Hope this helps!
Old 31st May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkalex View Post
You would like to try a LavryBlue converter before procuring a PSX100
I do have a lot of love for the LavryBlue, but the PSX 100 are pretty sweet sounding imho.
Old 4th June 2020
Gear Addict

I have a Apogee PSX-100 that is my primary DAC. Its a great unit back in the 90s and still great today.

If i was going for a full analog mastering chain, then I would definitely use the PSX-100 for catching as it does handle clipping VERY WELL.

Last edited by smackmastering; 4th June 2020 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: adding Catching thoughts
📝 Reply