The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Clipping in Car Stereo when adding air band
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Clipping in Car Stereo when adding air band

Hi guys,

Interesting question for some of the technical guys

I'm running into an interesting problem here. When I add an air band on my Manley Passive or my Avalon 2055 using Frequencies above 20k I get distortion in high frequencies in my car stereo system. However, it doesn't happen anywhere else. To quell this question, yes I did not clip any converter going out or back in.

My car stereo is a 2016 Scion iA. My concern is that when I add an air band that other cars out there would experience the same distortion. Something I don't want for my clients to experience. I really like what the Manley Massive Passive and Avalon 2055 do to the top end in the studio, but I don't like the distortion on the top end.

Any suggestions as to what might be happening.

(Oh and I just thought about it, my car stereo is set to unity, no bass bump no top end bump.)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Listening via CD? Bluetooth? 3.5mm?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Blue Tooth, Aux, and USB.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
I'm running into an interesting problem here. When I add an air band on my Manley Passive or my Avalon 2055 using Frequencies above 20k I get distortion in high frequencies in my car stereo system. However, it doesn't happen anywhere else. To quell this question, yes I did not clip any converter going out or back in.

My car stereo is a 2016 Scion iA. My concern is that when I add an air band that other cars out there would experience the same distortion. Something I don't want for my clients to experience. I really like what the Manley Massive Passive and Avalon 2055 do to the top end in the studio, but I don't like the distortion on the top end.

Any suggestions as to what might be happening.
It could be that your tweeter in the car are somewhat burnt. There is one way to rule it out, Send me a clip and i play it through my cars. It may take me a day or 2 to do it, but ill check it for you in 2 of my cars.

I have Bowers & Wilkins in one car and Bose in my other car. PM me if you want and ill give you my email
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

A lot of car stereos these days have DSP equalization programmed in to support the particular car model and speakers (think “room correction” for the car). That equalization, like room EQ, can have a substantial gain curve. I had an Infinity system in a recent vehicle that had a nasty, narrow midrange peak that would clip at times. That clipping can occur in the DSP pre-amp such that turning down the main volume doesn’t remove it.

Will your track clip in someone else's car? Maybe, maybe not. Check it on a spectrum analyzer to make sure you don't have any amplitude peaks in the high end that maybe aren't obvious; drop the overall levels a bit, etc. If you find that you have too many highs in certain areas a little De-Essing might also help.

Last edited by Nonlinear; 1 week ago at 07:16 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

"Air band"? "Using frequencies above 20kHz?

Would someone please enlighten me on this?

KOTS
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheslutz View Post
"Air band"?

Would someone please enlighten me on this?
KOTS
Once you've tried air, you will never want to breath anything else. Ymmv.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmboy presents View Post
Its that good, huh? Thanks for the heads up, man!

Best always,

KOTS
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmboy presents View Post
Not going to lie this made me laugh pretty hard.

I did however get my answer. It had to do with my cars dac, and ISPs. I just used a limiter and set limiters ceiling a bit lower. Thanks everyone

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search