The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Clipper/Limiter similar to AD Converter Clipping ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Verified Member
ITB Clipper/Limiter similar to clipping an Analog to Digital Converter ?

Can you suggest a limiter/clipper - in the box - that is similar to clipping an A-D Converter like the infamous Lavry Gold and it's +6dB soft saturation process ?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

For a Lavry-esque sound, I use Stillwell Event Horizon, with the Soft Clip knob at around 10 o'clock.

Last edited by candyflip; 1 week ago at 12:19 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Also very interested in this. I was trying SIR Standard Clip the other day using the Soft Clip Pro algorithm and it was able to shave a db off without any audible trade-offs, but does it behave comparably to clipping analog converters?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I love the standard clip - it can be either subtle or aggressive

I love the soft clip on heavy drum and synth busses etc

The hard clip setting is great for mix bus to shave a few dbs pre-limiting

Can’t comment on how it compares to hardware - but I wouldn’t be without it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
DMG Limitless has a section for this.

I've never found any use for it, I prefer Ozone's "Clipping" mode for incredibly fast chopping off as it works really well with snappy snares and kick drums and retains some control of the time constants.

I tried clipping my old Prism AD1 Dream fresh from being serviced by Prism but it sounded like...

... clipping.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

I have multiple different analog clippers here including converters that clip really well.
Tried a bunch of the ones mentioned.

Nothing ITB reminded me of any of them. Not even close.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by polybonk View Post
I have multiple different analog clippers here including converters that clip really well.

That’s my feeling too.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by polybonk View Post

Can you tell us your favorites from convertors list? I clip my Apogee Rosetta 200 and it can handle few db's without total breakdown. Any RME i've tired can't handle even 1db for example.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

I do sometimes wonder if those attempting to replicate the sound of high end A/D clipping ITB have ever actually heard what sounds like. Beyond vaguely knowing that it has been used on an unknown number of successful records, I mean.

Bear in mind that when MEs first started doing this they were being asked to produce insanely loud masters without access to 2020's array of extremely transparent, tweakable brickwall limiters. If Limitless, Pro-L2, Ozone, Limiter6 etc had all been around in the mid 90s do we really think A/D clipping would have become such a big thing?

Last edited by Hippocratic Mastering; 3 days ago at 05:51 PM..
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocratic Mastering View Post
I do sometimes wonder if those attempting to replicate the sound of high end A/D clipping ITB have ever actually heard what it even sounds like. Beyond vaguely knowing that it has been used on an unknown number of successful records, I mean.

Bear in mind that when MEs first started doing this they were being asked to produce insanely loud masters without access to the year 2020's array of extremely transparent, tweakable brickwall limiters. If Limitless, Pro-L2, Ozone, Limiter6 etc had all been around in the mid 90s do we really think A/D clipping would have become such a big thing?
Yes, it's just another tool.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkalex View Post
Can you suggest a limiter/clipper - in the box - that is similar to clipping an A-D Converter like the infamous Lavry Gold and it's +6dB soft saturation process ?
I've never worked with the Gold's but excluding any saturation or soft-clip functions, the high end converters I've worked with just sound clean. The analogue stages have plenty of headroom so what clips is the modulator. So pretty much the equivalent of oversampled hard digital clipping.

SIR Audio Standard Clip with high oversampling gives similar results.

Alistair
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
I've never worked with the Gold's but excluding any saturation or soft-clip functions, the high end converters I've worked with just sound clean. The analogue stages have plenty of headroom so what clips is the modulator. So pretty much the equivalent of oversampled hard digital clipping.

SIR Audio Standard Clip with high oversampling gives similar results.

Alistair
To me the results are really different still. SIR with high oversampling is very linear phase sounding and really changes the top end. Clipping converters (for instance the Forssells) sounds nothing like this. Its way more open and faster sounding.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Try Voxengo OCV128 https://www.voxengo.com/product/ovc128/
I use it before limiter now.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkalex View Post
That soft "saturation" was more about linear digital gain below -6 or -3dBFS only and a high headroom analogue stage clipping at 0dBFS, rather than "saturation" in the way that many people expect it now with added variable harmonics.
Some software compressors can be set up with a soft knee gain response curve to mimic this with zero attack, resulting in, basically, upwards compression.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Would love to hear some comparisons between hardware (eg. Lavry) and Voxengo's OVC-128 plugin.
Old 23 hours ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiBoy View Post
Would love to hear some comparisons between hardware (eg. Lavry) and Voxengo's OVC-128 plugin.
PM me a sample, I'll do it
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search