The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Differences in volume between stereo and mono - how to compensate them?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Differences in volume between stereo and mono - how to compensate them?

I making electronic music (melodic techno/house). When I check them in mono they sound good but are a bit quieter than in stereo. Sometimes when I listen to commercial productions and I switching to mono, I completely do not feel the difference in volume. What should I do to compensate for the volume between stereo and mono?

Thanks a lot
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
When I check them in mono they sound good but are a bit quieter than in stereo.
What are your pan laws set to?
Quote:
What should I do to compensate for the volume between stereo and mono?
usually, its the other way around. The mono could sound louder, since you are combing 2 channels into one channel. Check your pan laws and your routing.
Make sure every track and bus goes to your master bus and master bus goes to the main outs of your audio interface
Old 2 weeks ago
DAH
Lives for gear

Make the center louder. However, it will kill the depth. Either you have a deeper soundstage and level drop in mono, or in ya face sound with no level drop when monoed.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It is called phase cancellation. You have to make sure everything, or mostly everything is 'in phase', otherwise you get a big loss of focus and clarity and a drop in volume when played back in mono.

Classic tracks usually have zero phase cancellation which is why they sound great in mono, with no difference in volume.

It takes years to learn how to do it right but is one of the most important things to master in sound production.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

When I listen to the masters of the mix, I noticed that after pressing the MONO button, there is almost no difference. I keep an eye on the correlation meter and don't go outside the yellow area. I am usually around 0.5.

When I widen track (for example arp / lead or hi-hats) using delay, chorus, Haas effect, or reverb do I have to balance mid / side somehow? Maybe this is the key?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Check out fabfilter a 4 parts video about mixing in stereo without screwing mono. Useful stuff
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

thanks guys!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

I analyzed the movies. The problem in my case is spatial effects - especially reverbs. It is the reverbs that disappear in mono that makes me feel the lower volume in mono. The guy from Fabfilter suggests limiting the width in reverberation on tracks where reverb is very important. The problem is that I have two reverbs from Eventide, which I love and they don't have a slider that can limit the stereo. How best to do this? Use a tool like iZotope Imager?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Any setero panner (like in protools mixer) will work
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search