The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ozone 8 Sets Learn Threshold Too High
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Ozone 8 Sets Learn Threshold Too High

Hoping someone might be able to help me solve this mystery with Ozone 8 standard. I'm mastering a track with peaks coming in at around -3db into Ozone, and when I run the maximizer with LUFS set to -14db and click learn threshold it sets the threshold at 0db, with no limiting happening at all. I'm not a mastering expert so maybe I'm missing something but shouldn't it at least try taking a few dbs off the peaks to give me some loudness?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

maybe your LUFS is already around -14 LUFS without any limiting?
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
when I run the maximizer with LUFS set to -14db and click learn threshold it sets the threshold at 0db, with no limiting happening at all. I'm not a mastering expert so maybe I'm missing something but shouldn't it at least try taking a few dbs off the peaks to give me some loudness?
I'm not a fan of Ozone or any learn feature when mastering. It could be how the learn function was written or it could be anything without actually looking at your mix and your ozone settings.
If the mix needs a few dB's taken off the peaks, as you want, just set it up to do it. Your ears are way better than any 'learn' function that doesn't seem to work
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Verified Member
The learn function measures LUFS values in real-time of the portion of the mix being played and then compares it with the target to calculate how much gain reduction is needed to achieve the desired levels

Your peaks are hitting -3 but the RMS Level is not, the mix - before the maximizer - is probably louder than -14 LUFS and thus you're getting the threshold at -0dbfs.

If you wanna experiment than reduce the gain by - say 6dB - and then use the learn threshold again for -14, it'll set it just so that you are at -14LUFS even though 0 gain reduction would be happening something like a 'gain boost'.

Another thing to note, unless you're mastering a Jazz or Classical/Soft Record, please do not target -14 LUFS just because there's a hype that you get turned down, there are way too many ways where loudness normalization doesn't happen and your client is gonna be losing the edge.

I request you to please check this out - https://productionadvice.co.uk/how-loud/

Just my 2 cents.

Hope this helps !
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Yeah, the learn function appears to be dependent on the program material that occurs while you have it in place. In other words, it jumps around as the song progresses, continually "learning" based on the new information. I tend to pick the loudest part of the song and use the learn function there, as the threshold it sets will be very different from, for example, a very quiet intro.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Thanks for the helpful advice here, I'm definitely a writer and producer more than a mastering engineer, but unfortunately can't afford professional mastering on every project so rely on things like Ozone to help, but this loudness/LUFS thing I find pretty confusing, and yes there is some worry about things being "wrong" for streaming, and of course not sounding as big/loud as other releases (not that I love brickwalled music at all). Will read your link @ darkalex and try to get my head around it!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search