The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Weiss EQ1 is now a plugin
Old 5th May 2020
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Weiss EQ1 is now a plugin

https://www.softube.com/weiss-eq1?fb...sYBa9eDroPqJjE

Cant wait to find the time to put this up against Equilibrium.

Most likely won't switch to it, but I've wanted one for ever so..
Old 5th May 2020
Lives for gear

Verified Member
mods, maybe merge threads?

Softube Weiss EQ1.

brilliant piece of gear now available as a plugin!
Old 5th May 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
mods, maybe merge threads?
Have you seen the other thread? Lets not.
Old 5th May 2020
Lives for gear

Verified Member
i was more thinking about integrating the news into the mastering thread so some of the less experienced folks could benefit from the mastering techs... - possibly not gonna happen (or they won't listen) so don't worry!

here's a link to the more affordable version of the weiss 'channel strip':

https://www.softube.com/products/wei...-for-console-1

(i've been happy with my hardware for decades and got no intention to switching to itb anytime soon - the gui looks terrific though!)
Old 5th May 2020
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
2 Reviews written
Keeping this here for now with an eye on mastering work rather than just a new product announcement unless we get substantial requests for a merge...
Old 5th May 2020
Lives for gear

Verified Member
FWIW I gave up on this after 10 minutes, the interface drove me nuts. Not for me.

Wish Daniel Weiss and Softube well with it.
Old 5th May 2020
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
The physical interaction (as clunky as I found the interface) was what made the hardware useful. It never sounded amazing to me, certainly not at the level of equilibrium. Solid and inoffensive yes, but not amazing.
Old 5th May 2020
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
What drives me nuts is all the things you need to do to install it...but anyway can't wait to try this tomorrow morning with fresh ears.
Old 5th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruairi View Post
The physical interaction (as clunky as I found the interface) was what made the hardware useful. It never sounded amazing to me, certainly not at the level of equilibrium. Solid and inoffensive yes, but not amazing.
So far, same impression.
Old 6th May 2020
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I also really wanted to like this, I kind of like the DS1-MK3 plugin but the interface just isn't condusive for plugin use.

That, and there are some rendering problems in WaveLab Pro that kind of make it a dealbreaker right now.

We'll see if it makes it into the regular rotation if and when that WaveLab bug is resolved.
Old 6th May 2020
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
I'm trying to demo the thing, but it's not appearing anywhere...I've activated the demo license etc, I see the .dll on my vst folder, but it's not showing on any software I have... I tried everything, even Ableton 9 and nothing...anyone with the same issue ?

EDIT : Finally showing up on the latest version of Reaper...Ok let's try this :D

Last edited by X-Pand Sound Mastering; 6th May 2020 at 10:17 AM..
Old 6th May 2020
pho
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Pand Sound Mastering View Post
I'm trying to demo the thing, but it's not appearing anywhere...I've activated the demo license etc, I see the .dll on my vst folder, but it's not showing on any software I have... I tried everything, even Ableton 9 and nothing...anyone with the same issue ?
You propably already tried this, but just to be sure:
I had the same sensation and solved it with a simple reboot. After installation the plugin was immediatly recognized by WaveLab/VST3, but not by Logic/AU. After rebooting my system, Logic found it, too.
Old 6th May 2020
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
Quote:
Originally Posted by pho View Post
You propably already tried this, but just to be sure:
I had the same sensation and solved it with a simple reboot. After installation the plugin was immediatly recognized by WaveLab/VST3, but not by Logic/AU. After rebooting my system, Logic found it, too.
Yeah I tried that with no success, but I just checked on Softube website and they're indicating that this will work on the very last version of the software you're using, so I downloaded the last version of Reaper as a demo to try it, and showed up there
Old 6th May 2020
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Well, well, well... I’ll definitely be checking this one out!

I don’t need another EQ, hardware or software, but...

My first impulse was to buy it “ear unheard”

But i’ll demo it first.

Kudos to Daniel & Softube!

Cheers, JT
Old 6th May 2020
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo View Post
Keeping this here for now with an eye on mastering work rather than just a new product announcement unless we get substantial requests for a merge...
I wouldn’t merge any threads...

I think it’s important to keep the interface somewhat faithful to the hardware,

even if it is a little “clunky”, you get used to what you use everyday.

I also like the fact that it’s a bit pricey for a plug-in EQ 499 USD.

keeps the newbies and bottom feeders away!

cheers, jt
Old 6th May 2020
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Tubb View Post
I wouldn’t merge any threads...

I think it’s important to keep the interface somewhat faithful to the hardware,

even if it is a little “clunky”, you get used to what you use everyday.

I also like the fact that it’s a bit pricey for a plug-in EQ 499 USD.

keeps the newbies and bottom feeders away!

cheers, jt
glad you're mentioning this! - beware though: one of my posts in the other thread just got 'deleted by system' for saying pretty much the same, maybe in a bit less polite words...

nevertheless, the other thread might be worth watching although (some of the rant we already heard back when the ds-1 was ported and hence) it requires a bit of 'digging in the dirt' (as peter gabriel might have said).
Old 6th May 2020
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
Ok so very first impression was surprising. Although you can hear this is the high level of coding and the purity of the filters by Daniel, they seemed more "obvious" to my ears in the first place then in my memories. I did not remember that feeling when I used the real thing, but that was a long time ago I must say.

It is actually still VERY good at cutting, especially the low / low mid range area, and also very "transparent" there when boosting. Reminds me of the Maselec MEA2, without the analog sweetness.
This thing sounds "straight", not adding anything in terms of flavor. I had something "sweeter" in mind, but certainly the years have changed the way I listen to things aswell, so... Also just tried it on 44.1 at the moment...
One thing I can't find on the interface is if we can setup the Frequency analyser to respond faster ? It is almost in "freeze" mod here by default..

Last edited by X-Pand Sound Mastering; 6th May 2020 at 03:47 PM..
Old 6th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Pand Sound Mastering View Post
Ok so very first impression was so so..but now the more I dig into it the more I like it
Although you can hear this is high level coding and the purity of the filters, they seemed very "obvious" to my ears in the first place. (I did not remember that feeling when I used the real thing, but that was a long time ago I must say)

It is actually VERY good at cutting, especially the low / low mid range area, and also very "transparent" there when boosting. Reminds me a bit of the Maselec MEA2, without the analog sweetness.
This thing sounds "straight", not adding anything in terms of flavor. I had something "sweeter" in mind, but certainly the years have changed the way I listen to things aswell, so...
One thing I can't find on the interface is if we can setup the Frequency analyser to respond faster ? It is almost in "freeze" mod here by default..
The analyzer can be adjusted by clicking options and I think it is across on the second page. The choices are hold (default setting), fast or slow.
Old 6th May 2020
Gear Head

I played with it for a little bit yesterday......

I set it up the same as I had another plug EQ in a project (Samp's EQ116) so I could A/B them against each other. One thing I've noticed with plug EQs is that top end seems to shut down a bit by just putting them in the chain. EQ116 seems to do this the least of all I've tried (SPL Passeq, Millennia NSEQ, Crave, TKD, PSP MasterQ. BWrkx V3 is pretty transparent also).

What I noticed right away is that the EQ1 remains open at the top and I noticed just a little more transparency and more "authority". I also detect a smidge of that sheen that the DS1 has. I did not immediately notice any sort of mojo or analog color - just a very clean, transparent EQ (which I'm sure is what it was designed to do).

For grins I put one of the bands into dynamic mode and fiddled with the settings. After a bit, I was able to get that band much more evened out and more in control than with it in normal mode.

Another test I tried is doing a Pultec setting (there's plenty of bands to burn). Not expecting it to sound like a real Pultec, I was able to give the bottom end more punch and tightness. So, while not really a substitute for a Pultec, it could provide similar results when needed.

The GUI takes a little bit of getting used to but that goes for just about any plug. Some of the buttons aren't immediately intuitive as to their function and finding how to switch between screens is a little odd at first. Another thing I thought was a bit odd is that the EQ freq selection is a bit coarser than what I would like. Seems like a digital EQ would have a practically unlimited number of freqs to choose from. (Edit: It IS a bit of a CPU hog as well - about 25% on my machine).

Overall, I think its a keeper and will likely replace many other plug EQs I've been using (although I really only want to use EQ plugs for surgical stuff pre-analog processing).

Now, where's that discount for DS1 owners I've been hearing about...

Last edited by OTRM; 6th May 2020 at 08:58 PM.. Reason: Added CPU comment
Old 7th May 2020
Lives for gear

First impressions: the interface is pretty awful but I'm quite impressed with the sound. Will continue to demo.
Old 7th May 2020
Lives for gear

Now that Softube have both the DS-1 and EQ-1, I wonder if they'll release a hardware controller to go along with them, a la their Console1 controller. That would certainly be an interesting product.
Old 7th May 2020
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocratic Mastering View Post
Now that Softube have both the DS-1 and EQ-1, I wonder if they'll release a hardware controller to go along with them, a la their Console1 controller. That would certainly be an interesting product.
They have made a Console One template for both, so I doubt it tbh.

Has anyone else worked out why I'm getting signal (moving with the music on the meters) when everything is bypassed?
Old 7th May 2020
Lives for gear

Ah, thanks for the info, Joe; didn't know that.
Old 8th May 2020
Lives for gear

I'd definitely recommend trying this out if you're on the fence. I'm not 100% sure that I'll buy it yet but i'm leaning that way as the dynamic EQ element of the Weiss has been a big surprise to me: definitely one of the most natural-sounding dynamic EQs I've tried, especially in the low end.
Old 8th May 2020
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
definitely one of the most natural-sounding dynamic EQs I've tried, especially in the low end.
Can I ask what you're comparing it with Tom?
Old 8th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothTone View Post
Can I ask what you're comparing it with Tom?
DMG Multiplicity, mainly, which is the only dynamic process I use regularly on the low end at the moment (except the G21, which is a different beast). I've never really been happy with any other dynamic EQ/multiband compressor apart from Essense, which is obviously similar to Multiplicity.

I suspect that I could maybe get just as good/better results by tweaking Multiplicity, but it certainly wouldn't be as quick.

The Weiss also sounds surprisingly different to Equilibrium, even as a static EQ. This might be down to the proportional Q, but it's definitely a different flavour at first listen.
Old 8th May 2020
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
DMG Multiplicity, mainly, which is the only dynamic process I use regularly on the low end at the moment (except the G21, which is a different beast). I've never really been happy with any other dynamic EQ/multiband compressor apart from Essense, which is obviously similar to Multiplicity.

I suspect that I could maybe get just as good/better results by tweaking Multiplicity, but it certainly wouldn't be as quick.

The Weiss also sounds surprisingly different to Equilibrium, even as a static EQ. This might be down to the proportional Q, but it's definitely a different flavour at first listen.
Thanks for that.

When you spoke about it sounding natural it piqued my interest. I like Multiplicity for it's transparency but it takes me a lot of tweaking to try and get natural/musical sounding results in the low end. The Sonnox is much quicker to dial in and tends to be more musical for the lows.

Have you tried the Sonnox dynamic EQ?
Old 8th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothTone View Post
Thanks for that.

When you spoke about it sounding natural it piqued my interest. I like Multiplicity for it's transparency but it takes me a lot of tweaking to try and get natural/musical sounding results in the low end. The Sonnox is much quicker to dial in and tends to be more musical for the lows.

Have you tried the Sonnox dynamic EQ?
No, the Sonnox is one that's been on my list for ages, but when I was going to demo it I remember there being some impediment to doing so - maybe I'd misplaced my ilok or something? Do you need an ilok to use the sonnox, or just an ilok account?
Old 8th May 2020
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
No, the Sonnox is one that's been on my list for ages, but when I was going to demo it I remember there being some impediment to doing so - maybe I'd misplaced my ilok or something? Do you need an ilok to use the sonnox, or just an ilok account?
It looks like you can use either the actual iLok or the iLok cloud. It's worth demoing if you're looking for something natural for the low end that's also speedy to set up. I might have to try the EQ1 to see how it compares.
Old 8th May 2020
Lives for gear

Hi everyone, long time no hear...
I compared the Weiss EQ1 with my MAAT EQorange for fun and to understand the sonic potentials.
I've used a mix from one of the most appreciated threads here on GS.
The settings used are the same from 'that' thread, which made it famous.
88.2 khz - Bounced offline
+1db 50hz shelving med slope
+1db 100hz bell med
+2db 8k bell med
+1db 10k shelving med slope
Let's hear the two..let me know what you think

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9gquhupa8...P5QCuVtOa?dl=0

Last edited by Giuseppe Zaccaria; 8th May 2020 at 12:42 PM..
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear