The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RME ADI-2 PRO FS or Burl B2 ADC (similiar)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
A few people have been asking about the RME ADI2 Pro FS mastering AD/DA recently and it's "sound".

Well I always answer with "which one" because it has a range of anti alias filter options. They have very misleading names though.

Fast - Linear Phase steeper curve
Slow - Linear Phase softer curve
SD Fast - Steeper curve
SD Slow - Softer curve.

Here is an image I just created in Right Mark by doing a few DA AD loops.

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
RME ADI-2 PRO FS or Burl B2 ADC (similiar)-freq-response.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Furthermore here are some images from the manual.

Spot the impulse response difference for filter curves which look the same..
Attached Thumbnails
RME ADI-2 PRO FS or Burl B2 ADC (similiar)-rmemanual2.png   RME ADI-2 PRO FS or Burl B2 ADC (similiar)-rmemanual3.jpg   RME ADI-2 PRO FS or Burl B2 ADC (similiar)-rmemanual1.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I spent hours testing each filter on both the AD, and DA to find my optimum settings. You’ll find a different preference of filter for different sample rates. The higher I push the sample rate, more perfect my impulse becomes.

The NOS at high sample rates is awesome.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Morris View Post
I spent hours testing each filter on both the AD, and DA to find my optimum settings. You’ll find a different preference of filter for different sample rates. The higher I push the sample rate, more perfect my impulse becomes.

The NOS at high sample rates is awesome.
I find the SD Slow setting great for transferring 1/4" where the roll if isn't really capturing much and you really need to keep the transients as punchy as poss.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
So I got it and like it!

I'll do some more testing, it's also quiet useful as a Measurement Device, but I also still see the pros of having a more simple to the point Converter with no menu diving etc.

One of my Problems though is that when having it and the Motu 16A connected to my systems, using the 16A to output stems to a Dangerous 2-Bus and then using the RME USB to capture the signal, I already get pops when using 96khz, so I guess using the higher sample rates is not an option unless I use separate Computer to capture the signal.

I am on a 16GB 2,6 Quad i7. Not the newest model, but still disappointing.
Old 2 weeks ago
DAH
Lives for gear

Since you bought it, I suggest you try DSD recording with it unless you already did.
Old 2 weeks ago
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Works fine even on older quad I7 (2.3 not even 2.6) up to DXD and all DSD rates (stereo/2 channels). I haven't tested 768 kHz .....
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo View Post
Works fine even on older quad I7 (2.3 not even 2.6) up to DXD and all DSD rates (stereo/2 channels). I haven't tested 768 kHz .....
what are you using for DSD recording Riccardo?
Old 1 week ago
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbot View Post
what are you using for DSD recording Riccardo?
Sound It Pro (Stereo)

p.s. Just to clarify in regards to the previous post with PCM (DXD sample rates) even an older machine is fine. If we are talking mixing several tracks with plug ins I suppose drop outs are likely bar upgrading to a newer more powerful PC or MAC.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search