The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
mp3 from 32fp or 24 bit dithered?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
mp3 from 32fp or 24 bit dithered?

Maybe my ears are tired. It seems, at least for the track I'm working on, that a 320k mp3 rendered from 32fp wav sounds more accurate than the 24 bit dithered wave file rendered from the same 32fp wav.

Am I crazy?

The 24 bit wave was rendered with flat TPDF dither which sounded most accurate to me.

I can't share the files at the moment but I wondered if anyone else had ever come to this unexpected conclusion.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
This was discussed in detail here: Lossy Files Made from 24 bit vs 16 bit WAVs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iDrbgfPjPY
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothTone View Post
Thank you, I will investigate.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothTone View Post
So according to Dan I'm not delusional, but the integrity of an mp3 rendered from 32fp could possibly be corrupted in the decoding process. I guess the safest bet is to render Mp3s from 16 bit dithered wavs.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Dithering for mp3 doesn't work. After dithering it is not good to apply any processing, and mp3 does processing - makes your audio different sounding in a worse case, so dithering will be just as noise
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
MP3 encoding and decoding is practically a multi-band dither and "bit-crusher". Each band is "granted" its own noise floor (bit-depth), depending on its audibility relative to the other bands.

It will generally truncate and ignore any information below ~90dB. And this only in the best case. Typically more around 8bit to 2bit, it can even lift the noise floor for a band up to 0dB if declared inaudible.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabienTDR View Post
MP3 encoding and decoding is practically a multi-band dither and "bit-crusher". Each band is "granted" its own noise floor (bit-depth), depending on its audibility relative to the other bands.

It will generally truncate and ignore any information below ~90dB. And this only in the best case. Typically more around 8bit to 2bit, it can even lift the noise floor for a band up to 0dB if declared inaudible.
Thank you for that information, I wasn't aware of what is actually going on behind the scenes.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search