The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What would you add to my setup?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
What would you add to my setup?

Hi guys, just a little question. I have a recording studio, and last year I started purchasing some mastering hardware, due to, maybe in the future, I will stuck with mastering and transform my recording studio into a mastering one.

I would like you to check my humble setup and give me your opinions, like what would you change or add to it.

I’m actually looking to add two more units, probably 1 eq and 1 comp, or maybe a saturator. So, in base of what already I have, you are welcome to recommend me any device that you consider a good complement to my current gear!

My current mastering chain is:

Converters:
-Crane Song HEDD Quantum for ADDA
-Crane Song Avocet

EQs:
-Crane Song IBIS
-Elysia Xfilter

Compressors:
-Manley Vari-mu
-Tk Audio BC2-ME mastering version (VCA, SSL type but with some more options and switches instead of pots)

Monitors:
-Adam S2X. I know these are nearfields and not specially mastering dedicated monitors, but have to say I love them and they let me do my work very pleasantly.

Saying that, what do you think of my setup? To be fair it allows me to work nice, but I know that if I transform my studio in a mastering one, I should have at least 2 more hardware units. Maybe I should change my monitors, I know, but honestly, I can only say great things from the Adams. In case of changing, what monitors would you recommend me in the 4000 to 7000 € league?

Thanks for you advices .

Last edited by Bob CG; 3 weeks ago at 11:19 AM.. Reason: writing mistakes fixing
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

It seems like you have enough hardware to get started, and whatever else you may need short term is likely offered in software.

It’s less fun, but yeah monitors and room treatment are your best bet. I’m not familiar with your Adams, but near fields in general are hard to work on.

If you’re in the US, for 4-7k usd you can likely get a used pair of B&W 802s and a decent amp.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Agree, new monitors would be on top of the list.

If you save a bit more up to 10k you can get very good options:
atc/dutch&dutch/Barefoot/PMC
You will want a full range system, that goes all the way down.

They will make a bigger difference in your work than any piece of outboard.

Before buying my current monitors (barefoots for mixing) i went the BW802 way, with the idea of building a mastering room.
They are fantastic speakers and probably the best value you can find for around 4k.
I regret selling them.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Room acoustics and GREAT monitors/amplifier is where I would spend my money. If you cannot hear what you are mastering then it is hard to do the mastering. Adam speakers are OK for mixing I personally would not use them for mastering monitors. Best of luck!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search