The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which limiter is king?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Which limiter is king?

I've only used Waves L2, Ozone 8/9, and Fabfilter Pro L2.

Ozone sounds most transparent, but a bit thin. Fabfilter has better bass, but also more fake pumpy.

Waves doesn't sound competitive to me anymore.

I'm out of the loop. What's the hotness these days?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Verified Member
Ozone's Maximizer in IRC IV Mode is a beast on its own, it delivers impressive results if you know what you're choosing in the options since it's not a limiter where you can use exactly one mode and character on everything like the L2 and expect it to turn out good

You may want to use the master assistant on your track just to get the character settings for the limiter and then choose an appropriate mode, say IRC III Clipping for Rock and Metal, and Character 1.20 or 1.40

You may also use the Vintage Limiter with the same character setting from Master Assistant and then use the tube or analog mode to get the level up, this sounds really good and makes stuff a bit 'fat' but my masters generally sound fat before I even get the level up, so I try to maintain that fatness while getting the level up

If you have problems with the over-transparency of Ozone, try not to use the IRC IV Transient and Transient Emphasis settings, sometimes try turning the Transient Stereo Independence option to 10% or 15%, that helps to remove the fakeness.

Waves L2 is also a really awesome limiter and maintains it's image even after 20 years, the problem here is that it's a single-band limiter and it will squash anything that's above the threshold and after the max threshold is reached, it will pump the stuff, meaning it will increase the level of anything below the threshold and let it reach the threshold while the attack part of the music stays the same, this messes the attack/release envelope and thus takes away punch after maximum 2DB of limiting.

You can test it on any track, you can soft clip a track till you reach your intended RMS/LUFS Value, then back off the clipper threshold by 1.5 - 2 DB and set the L2 to do that last 1.5-2DB of GR, it will just change the way your master sounds man, since it does something to the mids, that just cannot be explained but sounds good

Lastly, for the FabFilter stuff, It's considered to be the goto limiter for majority of engineers but I've never used it personally

there's a good video by Streaky on the FabFilter Pro L which you can view to get some insight onto it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdVdfyBOnNA

No limiter is a king bro, It all depends on the material you use, I generally use a soft clipper on most of the stuff and then the last 1-2 or maybe 3DB max of gain reduction by a limiter, mostly an L2 or the ozone.

Hope this helps !
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
weiss ds-1...

...but what's a plug-in?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the ideas. Which soft clipper do you suggest?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkalex View Post
If you have problems with the over-transparency of Ozone, try not to use the IRC IV Transient and Transient Emphasis settings, sometimes try turning the Transient Stereo Independence option to 10% or 15%, that helps to remove the fakeness.
Nice tip. Will definitely try this out.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladelaw View Post
What's the hotness these days?
I like limiters that don't distort. Some info in this thread: Digital Limiter Quality Test

My usual chain: L2 or L3 into Ozone 8 IRC IV Modern. I've recently done a track where I did Sonnox Inflator into Ozone 8, that worked, too.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Weiss
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Molot is the bees knees.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I have 5 limiters loaded in my template that I try on every single project. Certain pairings have emerged like Denise -> Limitless, or Limitless -> ProL2, or Weiss -> Ozone. All depending entirely on the tones of the mix.

I personally prefer thick and punchy than I do shiny and wide, so that ends up strongly dictating my choice. For example, I am not a fan of Ozone IRC 4, and I much prefer the thickness of IRC 2 and 3 since im asking for less than a dB from it and dont wanna mess with the low mid phase. IRC 4 has multi band crossovers that help when doing heavy GR, but once you start to hear where they land they are often troublesome IMO.

There is no limiter that is better than the others, and you will eventually learn where all their compromises are. And also where they shine. Clippers are the same.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
Molot is the bees knees.
I just tried Molot - very cool. The limiter was great too. But the whole thing has a "box-tone" which means I'll probably use it as a color piece and not so much for day-to-day mixbus limiting. Snare on the other hand...

Are you using it on mix bus?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjuxtable View Post
I just tried Molot - very cool. The limiter was great too. But the whole thing has a "box-tone" which means I'll probably use it as a color piece and not so much for day-to-day mixbus limiting. Snare on the other hand...

Are you using it on mix bus?
I do sometimes use it on the mixbus; its not the right tool for every tune of course. And I think its great for the drum buss more often than not.

Fabien at TDR posted that there may be an updated version of Molot soon. Hopefully its true.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
I do sometimes use it on the mixbus; its not the right tool for every tune of course. And I think its great for the drum buss more often than not.

Fabien at TDR posted that there may be an updated version of Molot soon. Hopefully its true.
Yeah, I've been eyeing that whole TDR package with great interest. Adding an updated Molot would certainly sweeten the deal.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

FWIW, the stock AVID limiter with my current Pro Tools Rig [I think its called "ProLimit"] sounds fine and provides all the info.

I mostly use a brick wall limiter as just that, a brick wall limiter, to remove stray stuff that goes over -1dBfs, so that whatever streaming sites do to the track doesn't mangle it. I don't use it as a compressor much.

KOTS

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search