The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any idea what is causing these strange bit scope patterns?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Any idea what is causing these strange bit scope patterns?

I am getting ready to do some mastering for a client.

These are two bit scope images from the same song but mixed at two different times. It is the same place on both songs.

The person mixing is an 30+ year experienced mixer and is using Samplitude Pro X4. I have worked with him on similar projects in the past and he always does GREAT work.

I have never seen a bit scope pattern like the one shown on the left.

We have been collaborating via the internet for the past three weeks.

He sends me a file and it is good then he remixes the files and they have strange bit scope patterns.

Any ideas?? Some of the bit scope patterns look like they are being "filled in" and not real music/sound. The one on the left is the most current mix and the one on the right is a mix he did the middle of April.

Suggestions and/or comments???

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Any idea what is causing these strange bit scope patterns?-ready-4-30-20.png   Any idea what is causing these strange bit scope patterns?-ready-4-18-20.png  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

That's weird.

Maybe he's put different plugin(s) on his 2 bus with faulty dithering?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
It can only be Satan.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

What’s the bit depth of the files he’s sending you? Unless they’re 64bit, the crud you’re seeing above 24bit wouldn’t be written in the file, correct?

What does Schwa’s Bitscope show?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by vze26m98 View Post
What’s the bit depth of the files he’s sending you? Unless they’re 64bit, the crud you’re seeing above 24bit wouldn’t be written in the file, correct?

What does Schwa’s Bitscope show?
Supposedly 24 bit at 44.1 I will download the additional plug-in and see.

Off topic:

BTW I worked with Xenakis while I worked at the local college as Director of Audio Services. Somewhat of a "strange" person. Very demanding but talented. I worked with him twice. We could not provide the DBSPL he required for his pieces and he became very frustrated. Today it would probably be no problem but when I worked with him all we had were four ALTEC A-7 Voice of the Theater speakers and some Carver Amps. FWIW
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
BTW I worked with Xenakis while I worked at the local college as Director of Audio Services.
I’m sorry I didn’t make your acquaintance when I was doing interviews back in 2009-14. I spent a bit of time trying to contact folks at Oberlin, but had little success.

IX’s time in the US was certainly a strange story, a lot of it located in the Midwest. I had for a long time wanted to write a book about the sixties, and his exploits were the perfect frame for that. Long live those Altecs!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search