The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Affordable mastering hardware hidden gems
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Affordable mastering hardware hidden gems

Hi,

I'm wondering if anybody out there has found any affordable hidden gems useful for mastering? Brand new or bargains on the second hand market

Thoughts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
The High Voltage Audio EQ-6S is definitely in the 'hidden gems' category.

TK Audio TK-lizer2 perhaps.

Then there's the Bereich03 modules for a different approach.

I would also include the Gyraf G23-S which is a very nice EQ (two EQs actually) for the price.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
re mixing gems

There was some good ones from sonitus you can get or could get from the Cakewalk website. Cakewalk got bought out so I am not sure if you can still get them.

Sonitus phase is an amazing plug-in.

My fave waves plug in is waves TG12345 which it looks like they now call EMI TG12345

My waves plug - ins have not bee updated recently so I hope the new version is just as good as the old one.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Summit DCL200
Summit EQ200A/B

Not counting new opamps and servicing, I think I paid £1300 for the Summit about ten years ago and still use it all the time. I got the EQ200A for less than £1k a little while ago and looo o oo oo oo oo ve it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfog09 View Post
There was some good ones from sonitus you can get or could get from the Cakewalk website. Cakewalk got bought out so I am not sure if you can still get them.

Sonitus phase is an amazing plug-in.

My fave waves plug in is waves TG12345 which it looks like they now call EMI TG12345

My waves plug - ins have not bee updated recently so I hope the new version is just as good as the old one.
Thanks for the tip but I meant hardware not software
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

TF Pro P9 Bax equaliser,
paid 1100€ and it sounds amazing !
Old 4 weeks ago
I'm a big fan of my Louder Than Liftoff Mr. Focus Stage II's that I use off the last insert of my Liaison strictly in parallel for tape-esque saturation and heft when needed. Works a treat.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Some of the old German console modules are good hidden gems. For EQ, something like the Neumann W495b or Filtek Mk3 and for compression, NTP 179-120 or 179-160 represent good sound and good value.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothTone View Post
Some of the old German console modules are good hidden gems. For EQ, something like the Neumann W495b or Filtek Mk3 and for compression, NTP 179-120 or 179-160 represent good sound and good value.
The NTP 179-120 is getting rare, and pricey. I paid $2500 or thereabout for mine, and have spent maybe $1000 repairing it. When I see a pair for sale, it's typically something like $4500.

I do love mine!

For bargains, DIY is always an option, if you know how to solder.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtalahde View Post
The NTP 179-120 is getting rare, and pricey. I paid $2500 or thereabout for mine, and have spent maybe $1000 repairing it. When I see a pair for sale, it's typically something like $4500.
Oh wow, I didn't realise they'd become so pricey! They do sound good though.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothTone View Post
Totally !!
There is currently a Neumann W495STB on Reverb (Giuseppe's one for 1500€ (Rack, psu and 0.5dB Step included)
Amazing EQ !!

I got my pair of W495b for less than 600€ 6 years ago (Then you add 250/300€ for Rack/PSU/MOD)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Bereich modules and TK-lizer!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Verified Member
DAV BG-3 deserves a mention here. I sold mine to fund a Knif Eksa and don't regret that obviously, but I do still miss it sometimes-- it actually would have paired quite well with the Eksa. you don't often think of combining 2 solid state EQ's, but I can easily imagine doing hi-mid corrections with Eksa and boosting 3k with the DAV.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Not sure it qualifies but the used prices for a SPL PQ are deals. I think one sold for 4k!
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

So, where's your favorite "place" to look for these cool hardware items?

I usually start on Reverb.com, then look in the GS classifieds and maybe ebay. Sometimes find interesting stuff on Sweetwater and Vintage King. Those are the standards. Is there a "Hidden Gem" shopping store to find "Hidden Gem" hardware...?

Thnx
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRM View Post

I usually start on Reverb.com, then look in the GS classifieds and maybe ebay. Sometimes find interesting stuff on Sweetwater and Vintage King. Those are the standards. Is there a "Hidden Gem" shopping store to find "Hidden Gem" hardware...?

Thnx
Same here. Not aware of any hidden gem stores
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRM View Post

Thnx
Great opportunity usually happens around you like engineer you know who sell stuff, someone you met on the forum and all that.
Of course there is some good stuff online, but true great opportunity doesn't last long.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Once I had my eye on Daking FET II's. Those can be had for maybe $/€1500 for a pair. I remember listening to some demos of it and it sounded like it could be usable in mastering.

Ultra-cheapo: SPL Dynamaxx seems like an interesting contender, at least for modifications. Can be had for under $/€500.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtalahde View Post
Ultra-cheapo: SPL Dynamaxx seems like an interesting contender, at least for modifications. Can be had for under $/€500.
I still have a Dynamaxx and its in the 2nd room now for synth/machine tracking but yes it is a very useable compressor. Funny hard to find now but prices from 250-500 seem consistent.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Bump any more suggestions?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search