The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pros and Cons of doing your own mastering
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

It seems to me KOTS is presenting his side clearly and (while abrasive) quite fairly. Dismissing him as not knowing who Bob is sort of makes his point for him, dont you think?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

It's always the anonymous posters like KOTS who treat guys like Bob O that way. I'd like to see his posts if his real name was behind them.

Having said that, sometimes a disruptor provokes thought in a good way, challenging assumptions.

I'm still seeing good points on both sides of this debate and I still think it's folly to apply one standard for all projects and all engineers. It's a big world with lots of different situations and scenarios. There is room for more than one approach.
Old 5 days ago
Motown legend

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
It seems to me KOTS is presenting his side clearly and (while abrasive) quite fairly...
I agree!

My point is to simply call it signal processing and not "self-mastering" which is projecting elitism onto final signal processing. Ideally, a mix should never be able to be improved in mastering and be passed on to the replicator as a flat transfer. That should be every mixer's goal. It certainly was mine.

Contrary to what today's audio manufacturers and developers would have people believe, objectivity is the whole point of mastering. There is nothing in the slightest wrong with not sending something out for mastering any more than there is something wrong with not sending tracks to somebody else for mixing. Objectivity is important simply because of the impact the first impressions of others will have on the artist's career. That's why translation is important.
Old 5 days ago
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
There is room for more than one approach.
But there is no room for banned users coming back. Same applies to users posting (or maintaining) under multiple accounts.
Same goes with abrasive communication skills.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo View Post
...abrasive communication skills.
as much as there is a difference between a snowflake and an agent provocateur, there's a difference between an 'abrasive' and 'opionated' statement, especially if the latter is backed up by solid arguments which even get supported by people who one might think they were under fire...
Old 5 days ago
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
as much as there is a difference between a snowflake and an agent provocateur, there's a difference between an 'abrasive' and 'opionated' statement, especially if the latter is backed up by solid arguments which even get supported by people who one might think they were under fire...

Not arguing the arguments here.
Posters are encouraged to follow rules.
Posters are encouraged to communicate in an adequate manner.
Posters are free to go elsewhere if they so wish.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Last time I mixed and mastered a project was in Oct/2019. I also played the guitars.
In other words , I was very 'close' of everything.
Listening the mix today, is clear (for me) that I should stopped there, use a limiter and consider the job done. I put all the efforts and got the best I could achieve in this phase of process. Mastered version was a downgrade, not by far, but it was, honestly. Mastering by myself only would be possible some time after, 'far' from the project. Now, I listen and its easy to hear where things could be improved . 6 months ago I was unnable, for being in the eye of storm.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Not arguing the arguments here.
Posters are encouraged to follow rules.
Posters are encouraged to communicate in an adequate manner.
Posters are free to go elsewhere if they so wish.

i wish you would clearly outline then which rule was broken and where exactly, the second argument remains a matter of taste (i couldn't find anything 'abrasive': imo this is an allegation); the third argument however i find highly discouraging as it's actually moving the target:

i suspect the criticized poster has no intent of leaving the forum or thread but much rather of getting his point across! i think he did so pretty well...

(enough off topic so pls remove after reading)
Old 5 days ago
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
i wish you would clearly outline then which rule was broken and where exactly, the second argument remains a matter of taste (i couldn't find anything 'abrasive': imo this is an allegation); the third argument however i find highly discouraging as it's actually moving the target:

i suspect the criticized poster has no intent of leaving the forum or thread but much rather of getting his point across! i think he did so pretty well...

(enough off topic so pls remove after reading)
Once and for all as you don't seem to get it.
The argument has been understood. Pushing it hard here over and over doesn't help the argument.
In every single post here in the mastering forum as well as elsewhere on GS his arguments however legit they might be come across in the same confrontational manner.
They are coming from an account that was banned and showing as double account. Liable of deleting all accounts involved .
We have kept it so far as it was a legit opinion. On the other hand arguing that somebody posting under his real name may have a financial interest in supporting the need for outside mastering is not acceptable, especially coming from somebody linked to account that may have an interest.

If you all wish to continue debating in a civil, light hearted manner please do.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

I think Bob is a grown up. He's not about to run and hide in a safe space anytime soon. I think KOTS just said what he thinks. I found nothing particularly offensive or abrasive in his posts. If people are too afraid to voice their opinions, then we'll all be living in a false sense of reality.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
They are coming from an account that was banned and showing as double account.
I assumed that if you could see that then you'd have deleted his account immediately. I think I saw that in the rules somewhere. How is he even still here?
Old 4 days ago
Mastering Moderator

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
I assumed that if you could see that then you'd have deleted his account immediately. I think I saw that in the rules somewhere. How is he even still here?
Because it wasn't noted immediately and because it was a legit argument for good conversation provided it was carried out in a viable manner.

I understand what he is saying and many agree either entirely or to some extent with him while other disagree. However he does seem to believe that the posters in this sub-forum are a lost cause.

sample rate

sample rate
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Because it wasn't noted immediately and because it was a legit argument for good conversation provided it was carried out in a viable manner.

I understand what he is saying and many agree either entirely or to some extent with him while other disagree. However he does seem to believe that the posters in this sub-forum are a lost cause.

sample rate

sample rate
Hi Riccardo!

Briefly, the thing about "extensive listening tests" was obviously a joke, and I think if you went back and counted the times people have made some claim in this forum based on what they describe as "extensive listening tests", you have to admit its definitely a very common claim around here.

But I don't think the posters in this forum are "a lost cause". At least I hope they aren't.

I cleared this account as instructed, and after receiving a whole bunch of "welcome" emails and advertisements. I was never "banned", to my knowledge. I think a robot "suspended" me and a few others for a little while, but that was cleared up, and I was invited to post under this username. So I am not using multiple names.

With respect to those who do prefer to use their names and / or positions, I am not using my name or accomplishment or "laurels" to add weight to my opinions. The Gearslutz "rules" actually recommend against using one's real name. I'm 63, I've done a lot of work, and I'm not just here talking from inexperience.

I am certainly not "fighting" with Bob. I have had lots of interaction with Bob [here and in other forums] and many good conversations. We probably disagree on at least some of this issue, but I like Bob and we don't have to agree about everything. I listen to, and consider, what he says, whether I agree with it or not.

I don't believe in the whole sacred cow thing, and I imagine Bob probably doesn't either, although I guess he may get a lot of requests for his autograph. : )

I don't really think I am being "abrasive", tbh. By contrast, some of the other commenters actually seem kind of passive-aggressive, imo. But whatever. Its kind hard to state a "differing" opinion firmly here without someone crying "foul".

I'll try to do better.

I hope I am not offending anyone by posting what I think is true. Although I may change my mind about things, I'm calling it as I see it at the moment.

I mean, the thread title is "Pros and cons of Doing Your Own Mastering", right? Maybe I will post about some cons, too.

Well, look like I wrote more than I thought I would in this post. I really hope no one is mad about any of this "stuff".

Best always,

KOTS
Old 3 days ago
sm5
Gear Head

Verified Member
The awesome part about 'mastering' your own stuff is if it sucks ... you know who to blame!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm5 View Post
The awesome part about 'mastering' your own stuff is if it sucks ... you know who to blame!
The mastering engineer of course.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuj View Post
99% of the time or I'm working on something that isn't finished but I want to present to someone and still sound good etc. Those have been my reasons for mastering my own work.
that is a perfectly valid and good reason.

you might do 6 revisions or more, before it becomes a final.

Buddha
Old 3 days ago
tuj
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha View Post
I think it's a tragedy that so many people choose to master their own music these days. It's one of several reasons why a lot of current music sounds like garbage coming out of the speakers.

That said, having unqualified, self taught "mastering engineers" doing the job isn't necessarily mcuh better. ..

Mastering has sadly become the new life coaching. Any desperate dunce with zero qualifications seems to think they can do it, whether it's their own music or someone they're scamming for $25 per track.
The is precisely the level of pretentiousness that this forum exudes. Self-taught does not equal 'dunce'. This applies to very many areas of life.

Self-taught, all-aspects: Jack White. Like him or not he's commercially successful and he's artistically doing pretty much his own thing. Hard to argue with that.

Self-taught, guitar: Jimi Hendrix. I think this one stands w/o elaboration.

Self-taught, guitar, other instruments: Eric Clapton. Do I need explain?

Self-taught, guitar and drums: Dave Grohl. Hugely successful on both instruments with two different bands.

I don't have a handy list of all the self-taught mastering engineers or producers but suffice to say the results are not always 'dunces'.

Seriously if you don't like the music on the speakers, then change it. There's so much choice these days which I think is wonderful because I can listen to exactly what pleases me and so can you, but no, you seem to think that the egalitarian nature of home-recording equipment and mastering tools = 'dunce'.

Go back to listening to Miles on your Magico Ultimate III's. The rest of the world will move on.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuj View Post
The is precisely the level of pretentiousness that this forum exudes. Self-taught does not equal 'dunce'. This applies to very many areas of life.

Self-taught, all-aspects: Jack White. Like him or not he's commercially successful and he's artistically doing pretty much his own thing. Hard to argue with that.

Self-taught, guitar: Jimi Hendrix. I think this one stands w/o elaboration.

Self-taught, guitar, other instruments: Eric Clapton. Do I need explain?

Self-taught, guitar and drums: Dave Grohl. Hugely successful on both instruments with two different bands.

I don't have a handy list of all the self-taught mastering engineers or producers but suffice to say the results are not always 'dunces'.

Seriously if you don't like the music on the speakers, then change it. There's so much choice these days which I think is wonderful because I can listen to exactly what pleases me and so can you, but no, you seem to think that the egalitarian nature of home-recording equipment and mastering tools = 'dunce'.

Go back to listening to Miles on your Magico Ultimate III's. The rest of the world will move on.
Heh, sure buddy. As if I said that you can't be great at things being totally self-made. What on Earth does Jimi Hendrix have to do with the hordes of unqualified, inept "mastering engineers" offering their services online these days, exactly?

My tip to you: Take a very deep breath and chill out a bit, and see if you can try to stop hallucinating big chunks of text into other people's forum posts.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search