Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
i had it
You got tested with no symptoms? How?
Old 17th April 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
You usually have to be either famous or dead. Since he doesn't seem to be dead...
Old 17th April 2020
Quote:
I know the right people.lol
(My doctor was able to push it through and I am in NYC the Epicenter in the USA).

Now with the saliva test you can go through a drive through and get results within 24 hours.

But a lot of people are asymptomatic and I mean alot. Bigger than the estimated average right now. That's what makes it so tricky as you feel normal, but if you are not careful you are making people around you sick.
Old 18th April 2020
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowland View Post
Brilliant, top work Larry (and Mr L).

Note to video editor: it's Bernard *Purdie*.
Thanks Nigel, Tony caught that as well... don’t know if they’ll change it or not.

He also took liberties in how he sung certain peoples names like Carmine Appice, instead of Ap A Cee, he sings it as ap peach ee... apparently like my last name there are several correct ways to pronounce it.

Now Manu Katche he pronounces correctly and I always pronounced it wrong, so I learned the correct way to pronounce a few of the drummers names. A fun and learning experience. lol
Old 18th April 2020
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
That's great! Nice work. What an impressive list of drummers to have played with. Amazing.
Thanks man. Tony has a list started with everyone he forgot to mention, even in addition to that list he put at the end of the video.

I just can’t imagine playing with all those top guys but Tony is something to behold on a session. He writes all the music out and reads while he lays down tracks. Even if he knows the piece by heart. Yet his playing is so fluid you can never tell he’s reading the part.

He has got to be the nicest guy in the industry I know. I’ve always been a fan being a bass and Stick player myself but I never let him know what a fan I was growing up. When we have him in for a meal my wife will pick his brains what it was like playing with all these people. His stories are great. He should write a book and include all the war stories. Really some of the best stories I’ve heard because the man has played with just about everyone back in the heyday of the industry.

If you ever get to meet him you’ll see what I’m talking about. A humble man indeed.
Old 18th April 2020
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
A lot of people have had Covid 19 with mild to no symptoms( i had it and had no symptoms at all while my younger sister was in hospital on an oxygen tank and 103 degree fever).

When its said and done probably 60-65% of Americans will find they had it and most didn't even know it.
That’s scary Thrill, hope your sister is doing well now. Thoughts and prayers for you and your sister.

I’ve lost two friends so far and just found out yesterday another two people I know have it. A husband and wife in their early 50’s. She works in a nursing home so they are testing everyone there now.

My wife has had to go into work this whole time as the business she works for is deemed essential. They make the paper that goes around transformers but they also use that paper in face masks as well. She has sever asthma so I’m very concerned as she is around people all the time. One coworker was just tested a few days ago and they are awaiting results. Just yesterday another went home with a fever and sore throat. Scary stuff.

Even though mastering has picked up I’m still out their doing contracting work as well. I was just nearing the end of a kitchen remodel when all this hit... so of course the homeowner wanted the kitchen back and I had all my subs lined up. Electrician, Tile, Countertop company, etc... they are all still working as well. Luckily I was able to finish up a couple weeks ago. Now I’m working on a deck, so at least I’m outside and it’s only me and one other guy.

I expect to get it as does my wife. Hopefully we won’t but odds are not on our side.
Old 18th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
If you ever get to meet him you’ll see what I’m talking about. A humble man indeed.
Yeah, one of my clients knows him and says the same. A great guy and a huge talent.

Quote:
Even though mastering has picked up I’m still out their doing contracting work as well. I was just nearing the end of a kitchen remodel when all this hit... so of course the homeowner wanted the kitchen back and I had all my subs lined up. Electrician, Tile, Countertop company, etc... they are all still working as well. Luckily I was able to finish up a couple weeks ago. Now I’m working on a deck, so at least I’m outside and it’s only me and one other guy.

I expect to get it as does my wife. Hopefully we won’t but odds are not on our side.
Man, if I'm not mistaken you're in NY state and maybe over 60. With one of the world's worst outbreaks in your area I hope you're not taking too many chances. It's none of my business, but take care of your health man. Nothing else really matters. Maybe the odds are especially not on your side if you don't stay home. Best of luck!!!
Old 19th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks man. Tony has a list started with everyone he forgot to mention, even in addition to that list he put at the end of the video.

I just can’t imagine playing with all those top guys but Tony is something to behold on a session. He writes all the music out and reads while he lays down tracks. Even if he knows the piece by heart. Yet his playing is so fluid you can never tell he’s reading the part.

He has got to be the nicest guy in the industry I know. I’ve always been a fan being a bass and Stick player myself but I never let him know what a fan I was growing up. When we have him in for a meal my wife will pick his brains what it was like playing with all these people. His stories are great. He should write a book and include all the war stories. Really some of the best stories I’ve heard because the man has played with just about everyone back in the heyday of the industry.

Man! Totally bonkers and totally awesome work!
Old 19th April 2020
Work has slowed down for me. I usually record and mix indie bands. I've had many sessions canceled. Whats really scary is, I have friends who have gotten laid off and find it really hard to find other work. So many people have gotten laid off too so the competition is really hard for any type of work at the moment.
Old 19th April 2020
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Yeah, one of my clients knows him and says the same. A great guy and a huge talent.

Man, if I'm not mistaken you're in NY state and maybe over 60. With one of the world's worst outbreaks in your area I hope you're not taking too many chances. It's none of my business, but take care of your health man. Nothing else really matters. Maybe the odds are especially not on your side if you don't stay home. Best of luck!!!
Thanks Justin, yeah it’s pretty bad out there. I’m fortunate to be in the best shape I’ve been in since high school. My wife and I started working out everyday 3 years ago, I lost 40lbs and built my muscle tone up like never before. It’s allowing me to do what I do now.

I saw the writing on the wall (for mastering, for me) a few years back, knew eventually it’d probably go the way of recording studios, so the only thing I had to fall back on was contracting. I have a degree in marketing and never used it... too late to enter that game.

Now with Isotope giving away their Ozone Elements I think they’ll be even less work, especially with no one having money coming out of this thing. Before all this happened it was getting tight.

For me Mastering is a great part time job now. As your clients age out you don’t pick up many young ones as they want to work with people of similar age. Also, as you probably know a lot of audio engineers think they know everything about mastering and now offer it as part of their service, even if they don’t have a full range system. Now how can you really master when you can’t hear everything that’s going on? You can’t really.

Anyway I’m going off track. Thanks for the kind words.

I sincerely wish everyone the best of luck over the next year or two, it’s going to be a rough road for a while. I’m afraid a lot of jobs are going to be permanently eliminated causing major unemployment in the short term. More people are going to end up on the street... but don’t you worry, the fat cats won’t feel a thing!

Thoughts and prayers to all.
Old 19th April 2020
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor75 View Post
Work has slowed down for me. I usually record and mix indie bands. I've had many sessions canceled. Whats really scary is, I have friends who have gotten laid off and find it really hard to find other work. So many people have gotten laid off too so the competition is really hard for any type of work at the moment.
I am so sorry to hear this and see this happening. I’m also afraid it’ll be a year or so before things get back to this “new normal”.

Even in the trades no one is hiring right now.

Before this happened I couldn’t find any help and I was offer 35.00 an hour cash... and still couldn’t find people to help. I was using friends who retired from being firefighters and state police, it was crazy.

I think there will at least be trades jobs once the economy starts up again. Back breaking... but at least it’s work.
Old 19th April 2020
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
Man! Totally bonkers and totally awesome work!
Thank you Roger. Tony is a funny guy. I’ve never heard him say a bad word about anyone, even when he got screwed out of 150k by one label and the rest of the band sued. Tony chalked it up to experience and didn’t join the lawsuit. The band never got anything but the cost of the lawyer fees. Labels tie these things up in courts for years.

Funny part is there was a clause if the record ever got re-released they would get an additional 10%. He said 10 years later he got a check out of the blue for 15k. Made him laugh as he was telling my wife that story. I don’t think I would have handled it the same way. lol

When playing with Pink Floyd on the momentary lapse of reason album tour and their regular bass player wanted to come back Tony just stepped aside and let him. He didn’t have to, he had a contract but he knew it was the right thing to do. In turn, they paid him in full... and they didn’t have to as he voluntarily left.

Funny thing is even though both he and Alan White were both the the Yoko Ono Plastic band and Yes, they were never in those bands at the same time. It wasn’t until the Levin, Torn, White album that came out about 10 years ago that they finally played together. I’m very proud to have mastered that album as well. Tony has nothing but good things to say about Yoko, which is refreshing to hear. Same with Paul Simon who is known for being a real prick.

He’s got a million great stories about the industry.

Guys like Tony are rare.

Apologies, didn’t mean to hijack the thread.
Old 19th April 2020
Lives for gear

Nothing wrong with a Tony Levin love thread!
Old 27th April 2020
Quote:
Thank you Roger. Tony is a funny guy. I’ve never heard him say a bad word about anyone, even when he got screwed out of 150k by one label and the rest of the band sued. Tony chalked it up to experience and didn’t join the lawsuit. The band never got anything but the cost of the lawyer fees. Labels tie these things up in courts for years.

Funny part is there was a clause if the record ever got re-released they would get an additional 10%. He said 10 years later he got a check out of the blue for 15k. Made him laugh as he was telling my wife that story. I don’t think I would have handled it the same way. lol

When playing with Pink Floyd on the momentary lapse of reason album tour and their regular bass player wanted to come back Tony just stepped aside and let him. He didn’t have to, he had a contract but he knew it was the right thing to do. In turn, they paid him in full... and they didn’t have to as he voluntarily left.

Funny thing is even though both he and Alan White were both the the Yoko Ono Plastic band and Yes, they were never in those bands at the same time. It wasn’t until the Levin, Torn, White album that came out about 10 years ago that they finally played together. I’m very proud to have mastered that album as well. Tony has nothing but good things to say about Yoko, which is refreshing to hear. Same with Paul Simon who is known for being a real prick.

He’s got a million great stories about the industry.

Guys like Tony are rare.

Apologies, didn’t mean to hijack the thread.
I had a home and studio up around Woodstock. A lot of the musicians in that area are super nice people, and very laid back. I think there's something in the water, or perhaps the Tempeh.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

2 months since the OP. Has business changed for you?

Still busy here, thankfully.

I commented before that traffic to my website was down 25% but business remained up. This week with the economy reopening, traffic to my site is rapidly returning, and business is steady. I think I can draw a conclusion; In normal times 25% of my web traffic is just people wasting time on their work computers!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Past month has been one of my busiest ever! Go figure. There's no logic to anything any more
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraggs View Post
Past month has been one of my busiest ever! Go figure. There's no logic to anything any more
I guess when people can't spend time drinking in bars they get more mixing done!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Festival season is cancelled... I make a big chunk of my annual income out of recording music festivals in the spring, and none of those are taking place. Live concert recording for broadcast? That is dead too. On the other hand, I have picked up a bunch of archive work because people are going through their closets and finding old tapes.
--scott
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Business has remained surprisingly steady here. There has been a slight dropoff since March, but January and February of this year were two of my busiest months ever, so it's balanced out.

I've only been able to work 3 days a week recently anyway due to the schools being closed, so I'm not able to be too busy. I'm seeing a lot more acoustic records than normal, and fewer full rock band records. Electronic stuff has remained at similar levels.

One thing that never changes, even when the world has come to a standstill: certain clients *needing* everything done ASAP.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocratic Mastering View Post
One thing that never changes, even when the world has come to a standstill: certain clients *needing* everything done ASAP.
Good point. Now that you mention it, I've had more requests for fast turnaround during the shutdown. Bored people I guess...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

C'mon, you guys know how it is....they've got the whole world tour booked, the livelihoods of their 200-person crew are at stake here, they need those masters NOW.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I should add that the worst thing about working 3 long days a week (for now) as opposed to 5 shorter ones is how much the busywork piles up. Emails, additional versions (vinyl, instrumentals etc), revisions. These now takes up a significant amount of time each day.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
2 months since the OP. Has business changed for you?

Still busy here, thankfully.

I commented before that traffic to my website was down 25% but business remained up. This week with the economy reopening, traffic to my site is rapidly returning, and business is steady. I think I can draw a conclusion; In normal times 25% of my web traffic is just people wasting time on their work computers!
Re. the 25%: something I've long suspected about contacts in general, good to have it confirmed :-)

Despite my earlier misgivings (posts 10 and 46), I'm surprised and grateful to report the flywheel hasn't spun down here as predicted - in fact I'm near-capacity and am contemplating weekend working, something I usually strenuously avoid.

Difficult to say how this has come about, but some areas of work haven't changed much in spite of all involved operating from home, and there seems to be an increase in what I would describe as 'specials', such as eight companion disks for a boxset which materialised unexpectedly last week.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Apart from late March, which was a little slow, things are almost back normal here. Overhead times a still shorter than usual, but work keeps on coming in at a steady pace. Everything went pretty good.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraggs View Post
Yup, April was a record month here. Highly intense but not complaining

Best to all!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Late April was getting pretty slow and I was just going to the studio 2 or 3 days a week. The past week or two though has got back to being fully booked up again, so I’m cautiously optimistic
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Yep, Crazy Times for sure.

April was the slowest spotty month ever, due to the Rona lockdown or whatever.

Then May took off like a rocket, the slingshot effect.

I’ve been overbooked for a few weeks now... everyone wants everything all at once.

Not complaining though!

Cheers, JT

Last edited by Jerry Tubb; 1 week ago at 10:57 AM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search