The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Analog EQ and compressor of choice?
Old 4th February 2020
Analog EQ and compressor of choice?

For Mastering Purposes:

I have a limited budget (6-8k) to get myself a nice Analog EQ and compressor used

EQ:
I'm thinking Cranesong Ibis, Manley Massive Passive, Maselec MEA2 is out of reach

Compressor :
Vari-mu, Prism Maselec MLA2, Portico II MB, API 2500, STC 8

So if you could only have 1 EQ and one comp what would that be?
Old 4th February 2020
Gear Maniac
I will just add few more to stir the pot, sorry!

Eqs:

customaudiogermany HDE-250 (this one is first on my list to buy, no money for any knif stuff)
HCL Thermos, and
Goly Porter Grinder

Compressors:

IGS Tubecore
HCL Varis
Hendyamps Pollock

Good luck.

Vlad
Old 4th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyBoyZ View Post

SPL PQ (silver faceplate) + Al.so. Dynax (M-Version)
Old 4th February 2020
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Depends a lot on what sort of sound you are looking for: tube or solid state, vari mu or VCA; and your functionality/workflow preferences (e.g. switched controls, dual mono vs ganged stereo, etc).

I reckon for a small chain you either want versatile pieces: things that are transparent enough to work with most material; or nice colour pieces that provide a good counterpart to digital.

Some clean/versatile solid state EQs in your budget (some used) that I think are worth looking at are:
GOLY Porter
GOLY Bax
Dangerous Bax
CAG HDE-250
HVA EQ-6S

For a bit more colour:
Hendyamps Michelangelo
various Bettermaker offerings
Miad LCPQ 4040

Or for both in 1 box:
Gyraf G23-S

For VCA comps:
Neve MBP
API 2500
various SSL clones

And affordable Vari Mu:
IGS Tubecore
HCL Varis

Quote:
Although out of your budget, my answer to this would be SPL PQ and Knif Pure Mu. I could happily do 95% of my work with these two boxes.

Last edited by SmoothTone; 4th February 2020 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: Corrections
Old 4th February 2020
Lives for gear

I think Jonte has dispontinued the Pure Mu, unfortunately, though they might still have some demo units floating around.
Old 4th February 2020
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocratic Mastering View Post
I think Jonte has dispontinued the Pure Mu, unfortunately, though they might still have some demo units floating around.
Sadly, yes. Did you end up getting one?
Old 4th February 2020
Here for the gear

i would say good starting point is to have one clean(workhorse, HDE 250 customaudiogermamy) and one color(tube, gyraf or massive) eq.
For compresion i would go with something with feedforward and feedback options( foote system p3s or p4s)
With this setup you can cover most of work.
Old 4th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothTone View Post
Sadly, yes. Did you end up getting one?
Yeah, I bought mine years ago. Not sure why he discontinued it although he did say that the reasons will become clear over time, so maybe a new, similar product is on the way?
Old 4th February 2020
Lives for gear

i can't decide - with only one eq/compressor each i miss the colors
Old 4th February 2020
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocratic Mastering View Post
Yeah, I bought mine years ago. Not sure why he discontinued it although he did say that the reasons will become clear over time, so maybe a new, similar product is on the way?
I was puzzled by it as well. Watch this space I s'pose.
Old 10th February 2020
ANy more specific replies to my question ?
Thanks
Old 13th February 2020
Gear Addict

I would recommend you to go with EQ and compressor from opposite topological sides. Based on the equipment that I have or had and in accordance with your request I would consider the following combinations:

Maselec MEA-2 & Manley Vari-Mu. Pure classic.
SPL PQ & TC Phoenix Mastering Plus. A little expensive but very responsive and flexible.
Manley Massive Passive & Vertigo VSC-3. Best of both worlds.

Best,
DK
Old 17th February 2020
EQ IBIS vs Maselec

Thanks guys so I got my hands on a Vari-mu and looking for a first EQ in the chain

Any real users out there who can give an opinion on The MEA-2 vs IBIS
There is a big price gap, how different are the actually in terms of transparency and sweetness based on your experience ?
Old 17th February 2020
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solic View Post
Goly Porter Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothTone View Post
GOLY Porter

I build these in batches of 3, got a slot open for the upcoming batch. It is fully stepped/on switches, not detented pots, so takes a little while to put together. Price will go up a little after this batch is done (increased cost of switches and a few other key ingredients).

Id be happy to answer any questions at [email protected], or you can check out www.goly.dk or my bench feed on https://www.instagram.com/gustav_goly/

Gustav
Old 19th February 2020
Hey Labs
I don't see how your post is relevant to my questions
I don't care about your products go advertise somewhere else
Old 19th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Labs
A bit rude. His stuff has been recommended more than once...tho I am unfamiliar.
You should consider yourself fortunate to have ther opportunity to buy limited production equipment..with direct communication with the owner-builder
Old 19th February 2020
Lives for gear

Neve Master Buss Processor and Bettermaker Mastering EQ. A cool place to start.
Old 19th February 2020
The problem is not what he is doing or saying, it's that it's hacking the thread to promote somethign else that anyways I'm not interested in
Use another thread and showcase your products I'll read it someday, come in here for no reason that's what's rude !
Old 19th February 2020
Village Idiot

Quote:
that's what's rude !
Hey JimmyBoyZ.

Im sorry my post caused you to have such an unpleasant experience.

I was told by someone thats quite happy with the EQ I make that it was recommended in a few posts here, and thought it would fall somewhere between harmless and helpfull to chime in.

Again, my apologies for causing you such grievance.

Gustav
Old 19th February 2020
Lives for gear

These threads don't 'belong' to anyone. It's a public forum. You can't get shirty when someone comes into 'your' thread, in which you've asked a question that's been posited dozens, probably hundreds of times, and gives further infomation on one of the recommended products.
Old 19th February 2020
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bars View Post
I would recommend you to go with EQ and compressor from opposite topological sides.
+1.

Quote:
Hey Labs
His gear was recommended, he joined in politely. The rude response was your own :¬)
Old 19th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
The problem is not what he is doing or saying, it's that it's hacking the thread to promote somethign else that anyways I'm not interested in
Use another thread and showcase your products I'll read it someday, come in here for no reason that's what's rude !
Thing is, you should be interested. What he builds is sonically better than what you are looking at (Ibis etc) while being much cheaper.
Old 20th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Thing is, you should be interested. What he builds is sonically better than what you are looking at (Ibis etc) while being much cheaper.
Why ask a question if..
You already know the answer
You don’t like the answer
You won’t listen to the answer
Old 20th February 2020
Hey I'm sorry but I really don't understand the logic here
I post a question with a choice that I narrowed down
If You ask me should I drink a Whiskey or should I have a Cognac
and I reply my friend in Ouzbekistan is making a beer that is so much better than your COgnac and Whiskey do you feel like I'm trying to help or I don't care about what you're saying?

So if you read the thread there are now 23 posts maybe 2 actual replies
I asked a simple questions and I thought some members with experience with those pieces will give me an answer / opinion that can help my decision
Old 21st February 2020
Gear Maniac

Check those guys out...
http://bergmanlabs.com
Old 21st February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey I'm sorry but I really don't understand the logic here
I post a question with a choice that I narrowed down
If You ask me should I drink a Whiskey or should I have a Cognac
and I reply my friend in Ouzbekistan is making a beer that is so much better than your COgnac and Whiskey do you feel like I'm trying to help or I don't care about what you're saying?

So if you read the thread there are now 23 posts maybe 2 actual replies
I asked a simple questions and I thought some members with experience with those pieces will give me an answer / opinion that can help my decision
At no point in your original post do you say you’ve definitively narrowed it down to your listed products. You say ‘I’m thinking.’

Your whisky/beer analogy is a bit silly, isn’t it. No-one is suggesting you buy a DBX 266, which would be the equivalent of beer in this comparison. They are suggesting other varieties of whisky, that you may not have heard of.

Once again, no-one owns the thread. There are hundreds of posts about the EQs and compressors you have listed on this site. They’ll all be fine, which is why you aren’t getting the very specific answers you seek.
Old 25th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
For Mastering Purposes:

I have a limited budget (6-8k) to get myself a nice Analog EQ and compressor used

EQ:
I'm thinking Cranesong Ibis, Manley Massive Passive, Maselec MEA2 is out of reach

Compressor :
Vari-mu, Prism Maselec MLA2, Portico II MB, API 2500, STC 8

I´ve used all the EQs and compressors you mentioned. All are good and widely used in mastering. I think it's more a matter of taste, not a question of good or bad. In general, I would rather use colored tools at the beginning, because they are a better addition to what you have in the plugin world (Equilibrium etc.).

The problem with the Massive Passive and Ibis is, that the stepped mastering versions are quite expensive. But if you don´t need stepped controls... The Ibis is perhaps a bit more versatile (color&clean) as the Manley.

The Prism MLA2 is very clean, so maybe too close to plugins. The STC8 is clean but with some nice "fairy dust", the Api would be too colored and not versatile enough (for my taste), same for the Vari-Mu, Neve MBP is always a good choice (maybe the best choice if you want only one main compressor).

So I would look for a good deal on Ibis, Neve MBP or STC8.

My2cents
Old 26th February 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labs View Post
Hey JimmyBoyZ.

Im sorry my post caused you to have such an unpleasant experience.

I was told by someone thats quite happy with the EQ I make that it was recommended in a few posts here, and thought it would fall somewhere between harmless and helpfull to chime in.

Again, my apologies for causing you such grievance.

Gustav
You're a better man than me Gustav. Anyone who read this thread knows you shouldnt be the one doing the apologizing. This guy Jimmy, who just goined GS btw, is the one who was rude and disrespectful (for reasons already nicely explained by others). Yet for some reason, he stands on his square and refuses to acknowledge the obvious. I for one hope this post goes silent until he cleans up his mess. Nobody should want to help somebody with that kind of attitude. Peace.
Old 27th February 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thanks guys so I got my hands on a Vari-mu and looking for a first EQ in the chain

Any real users out there who can give an opinion on The MEA-2 vs IBIS
There is a big price gap, how different are the actually in terms of transparency and sweetness based on your experience ?
Hi everyone, I use them both and I find that it is a good couple. It is true that the cost of the Ibis M is higher than the cost of Maselec mea -2 but it must be said that it is more versatile and with the color option it can be transformed into another Eq. I find the construction of the Mea - 2 perfect, excellent ergonomics and with 4 shelves you can create even extravagant and sometimes useful equalization curves. leaving aside all its peculiarities already described in other discussions of the maselec I can say that the two machines together, for me they complete giving really a vast possibility of surgical equalization. I personally feel the shelves of the Ibis very different from those of the maselec. Ibis gives the impression of a more amber curve that adds to the whole a very slight musicality and space to the whole, that of the Mea 2 more intrusive and a little harder. Ibis has the HPF filter sometimes useful ... in short, the cost of the two machines together is very high perhaps for the added possibilities. For Mastering I really like them.
Attached Thumbnails
Analog EQ and compressor of choice?-b9fd8918-4966-42f5-adab-781b1432db4f.jpg  

Last edited by BOMI; 27th February 2020 at 02:03 PM..
Old 28th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
For Mastering Purposes:

I have a limited budget (6-8k) to get myself a nice Analog EQ and compressor used.

Hey Jimmy,

try (well, actually harder than it sounds since there's no shop and way to demo box) contacting Steffem Muller at Custom Audio Germany. He makes AMAZING stuff.

Two years ago I bought CAG 250-A. Amazing EQ. I can't say enough prayers. Maselec-like tool. Hand made, superb quality, top-notch design and everything actually. Steffen is super nice guy and you are sure that would last you longer than your life-time. Price is a bit over 2000 EUR.

Compressor-wise I am passing on this one at this moment. I do use a few but I am not going to fav any of those. I use, as an end tool in outboard (hybrid) setup Gray's (NekoNeko) SSL Compressor. Also hand-made, amazing quality and build, custom Trafos choosing... What to say? Super satisfied! And for under a 1000 bucks!

Since I don't need to have Manley, Gyraf or Varis tier tools I can't comme t on those more expensive and hyped tools.

Try search those I have mentioned above. You'll still have quite some cash left for maybe another fabulous tool.

Hope it helped a bit.

Krešo
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search