The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Maselec MTC1-X monitoring path sound.
Old 13th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Maselec MTC1-X monitoring path sound.

I'm actually in the full passive monitoring path and manual point to point gear connection, but i'm getting old and lazy. So i was evaluating the MTC1-X. I read on the product specs that the volume pot uses precision resistors so i asked Mr. Mases if the monitoring path is passive or active when used without trims. He answered me a bit itchy saying that if to me passive is the best i better stay with my actual setup. So the monitoring path is active. Do some of you had the opportunity to compare MTC monitoring with a pure passive attenuator?
Old 13th December 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBarbarulo View Post
I'm actually in the full passive monitoring path and manual point to point gear connection, but i'm getting old and lazy. So i was evaluating the MTC1-X. I read on the product specs that the volume pot uses precision resistors so i asked Mr. Mases if the monitoring path is passive or active when used without trims. He answered me a bit itchy saying that if to me passive is the best i better stay with my actual setup. So the monitoring path is active. Do some of you had the opportunity to compare MTC monitoring with a pure passive attenuator?
I've gone both routes and have been using the MTC1-x for about 7 years and would never go back. No compromise.
Old 14th December 2019
Gear Head

Passive monitoring, here, for last 18 years or so. The extra circuitry of 'active' preamplification isn't needed by my sources' single-ended outputs or amps' balanced inputs, so, a $10k volume knob can't sound any better than my purist, circuit-less console. However, by not going with a store-bought console, I did also have to make a custom XLR patchbay, add a selector switch (which doubles as mute), and put passive polarity flip switches on each channel of the level controller. Saved a bundle and trust the transparency. Cost? < 1k USD for all.
Old 14th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the reply to both. I'm actually using Imperium that has both mute, MS monitoring and multiple I/Os in conjunction with a hand made (by me) xlr patchbay. Imperium is great on monitors but a simple patchbay is clunky if you use lots of gear. What i miss actually is the speed of switching gear in and out (thing that can be made with a lot less money using a custom made relais switcher), the opportunity of having trims on the monitor channels (can be done actually with a digital channel of the daw return) and a more wide range of attenuation since the imperium has 8 fixed values. On the long run i'm kinda suffering for this "limitations". If we add the integrated MS matrix (i actually neet to hard patch externally), the insert flip, the imager, the splitter on output, the ease of comparison of multiple DACs and ADs etc. the MTC is appealing to me for the kind of articulated variables i like to evaluate for each job. What i was concerned about is the "character" of the active monitoring. But if @ Pete Lyman did a comparison with no issues i think i should give it a try.
Old 15th December 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Why don't you look for Dutch Audio gear ?
You could get switcher, ms matrix, gain, passive monitoring with active control.....
Old 15th December 2019
Gear Maniac

I'm evaluating too Dutch and other products but some doubts occur: the pro is obviously half the price of a Maselec product in some cases ( but still not cheapo). The cons: 1, a custom made unit and a relatively new brand is always a kind of bet about how they sound, perform and how long they will last because nothing can be judged on paper. Same also for the higher boutique priced units like the Knif stuff. I daily use a MEA2 mk7 so i kinda know what's about a Maselec product. 2, most of the lower priced stuff has DB25 connections and i already use custom hi quality xlr cables. 3, i think that any of those less known/diffused/custom solutions will be not so easy to sale if anything goes wrong turning in a potentially higher money loss.
Old 15th December 2019
I like Maselec gear, but personally I think that in terms of mastering consoles Crookwood are the best in the biz
Old 15th December 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
I'm evaluating too Dutch and other products but some doubts occur: the pro is obviously half the price of a Maselec product in some cases ( but still not cheapo). The cons: 1, a custom made unit and a relatively new brand is always a kind of bet about how they sound, perform and how long they will last because nothing can be judged on paper. Same also for the higher boutique priced units like the Knif stuff. I daily use a MEA2 mk7 so i kinda know what's about a Maselec product. 2, most of the lower priced stuff has DB25 connections and i already use custom hi quality xlr cables. 3, i think that any of those less known/diffused/custom solutions will be not so easy to sale if anything goes wrong turning in a potentially higher money loss.
I agree and I'm, too, truly sold by Maselec gear and really like few of their unit (the console looks amazing).
But you already have a bunch of customer here for dutch and company like this (I'm not talking about Knif and the quality of their product since it's the most solid stuff I have ever touch)
Old 15th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Talking about any specific product without the privilege of trying it by myself is unfair. Without any intent to open a can of worms, some of younger brands may be the new classics 30 years from now hoping that in 30 years people will listen to things made with those boxes today and not anymore to music from "900 made with classic units. Is a matter of fact that actually (for multiple factors) they are not easy to resell.
Old 15th December 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
I daily use a MEA2 mk7 so i kinda know what's about a Maselec product.
If you like the MEA2 I doubt you’ll have a problem with the MTC1X. I’ve heard the MTC1X as well as the earlier full blown MTC2. I wouldn’t hesitate to use either.

The MTC1X is both a transfer console and monitor controller. It has the HPF/LPF, EE and Stereo Widener. It doesn’t directly compete with most other options, excluding Crookwood.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I also use the Maselec MTC-1x on a daily basis, couldn't be happier!
Before that I used several passive and active controllers with a patching system. As someone said before, the MTC is two boxes in one.
Very flexible monitoring control and a patchbay/routingsystem with loads of tricks! Can't imaging someone won't like it
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Verified Member
I don't own the MTC1 X, but seeing what's on the paper, components wise and function wise, I think you will ask yourself why you didn't make that move earlier once you get it
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

At the end my unit is currently in the assembly line. I'll do some listening tests as soon the unit arrives in a week or 2 after the holiday shipping madness ends.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Congrats on ur new purchase

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search