The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need Really Help ! LUFS and Loudness...
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Need Really Help ! LUFS and Loudness...

Hi Fam,

I finished my melodic progressive house track, the mixing sounds good to my ears, however, I am always comparing with my reference track with level meters, even the values are similar I can not get that commercial sound from my track...

Lufs, crest factor and even the spectrum looks almost the same. So can someone please tell me the truth behind the mastering (loudness) (I watched probably every tutorial on youtube)

Also I did mixing for every channel in a good way (EQ, gain staging, saturation, compressing)

1. When I listen my track, the mixing sounds okay for me but I can not get the same loudness level even the values are the same, why is that ? (But I am close to it, there is no huge difference)

2. Why I can not get the final commercial sound like in the reference track ? I am so close but any suggestions will be amazing ! What is your secret ?

3. I believe the tutorials which I paid and watched tons of tutorials on Youtube are not saying the truth behind the mastering, do you agree, what is the golden information/technique to do a good mastering (or in the mixing stage to achieve that bright/shiny commercial sound in general, overall of the track)

I attached the pictures of the loudest part of the tracks.
Thanks in advance ! Looking forward to read your opinions.
Attached Thumbnails
Need Really Help ! LUFS and Loudness...-mt.jpg   Need Really Help ! LUFS and Loudness...-rt.jpg  
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Check out this thread: How do people make these slammed masters with the low end not messed up?

Especially post #41 !
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Well tons of good posts in this thread ! I am reading now, thank you !
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Don't you love the help you get around here? My advice is to give LANDR a try.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinanYuksek View Post
Hi Fam,

I finished my melodic progressive house track, the mixing sounds good to my ears, however, I am always comparing with my reference track with level meters, even the values are similar I can not get that commercial sound from my track...

Lufs, crest factor and even the spectrum looks almost the same. So can someone please tell me the truth behind the mastering (loudness) (I watched probably every tutorial on youtube)

Also I did mixing for every channel in a good way (EQ, gain staging, saturation, compressing)

1. When I listen my track, the mixing sounds okay for me but I can not get the same loudness level even the values are the same, why is that ? (But I am close to it, there is no huge difference)

2. Why I can not get the final commercial sound like in the reference track ? I am so close but any suggestions will be amazing ! What is your secret ?

3. I believe the tutorials which I paid and watched tons of tutorials on Youtube are not saying the truth behind the mastering, do you agree, what is the golden information/technique to do a good mastering (or in the mixing stage to achieve that bright/shiny commercial sound in general, overall of the track)

I attached the pictures of the loudest part of the tracks.
Thanks in advance ! Looking forward to read your opinions.
pretty much the same when measuring fr, leq, lufs, thd etc.: a measurement is just a pic from a particular angle and cannot show it all/there are theoretical (and practical) limits what information a measurment can provide.

unless i have to comply with specific rules, i tend not to base my descisions on measurements but try to make things sound the best possible way i can; some will measure fine, other will not.

some glorious sound measures pretty bad/terrible sound amazingly well! reasons are often the arrangement, instrumentation and interpretation, all of which cannot get changed by technical means or one would do more harm than good by trying to make things 'measure' well... - and then there's taste!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Don’t look at pretty pictures or numbers... this is where your ears and many, many, many years of training come into play.

No one becomes a surgeon overnight... nor do you become a mastering engineer overnight. 10 years, is about what it takes IMHO... and that’s doing it day in and day out.

In my day (old man speech here), you had to learn every aspect of being an audio engineer before you could even think of becoming a mastering engineer. Your contemporaries were never going to hire you unless you could supply results they couldn’t achieve themselves.

This year alone I’ve had more clients come back to Silvertone because they got tired of trying to figure it out themselves. Some have stopped recording themselves all together.

I tell clients you can only be great at so many things... so are you a guitar player or an engineer are you a song writer of mastering engineer. Etc... just because a person can play or sing it doesn’t automatically make them a recording engineer.

Of course everyone today is told they can do it themselves. While that may be possible for some for most just the opposite will be true. What’s wrong with a group effort? I tell all my clients that I am grateful for them making me part of the team... and I truly am. I feel privileged every time someone hires me.

There is no magic involved, not one is hiding secrets... it’s all about skill level, which ALWAYS takes time to develop... and some people will never develop it no matter how bad they want it.

That’s life!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search