The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ozone 9 Sounds "Constricted"?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Ozone 9 Sounds "Constricted"?

I recently purchased Ozone 9 and am using it to master an album for a client. I was trying to keep myself honest by not only using the "GAIN MATCH" feature, but also turning off Ozone 9 completely, and then turning up my monitors to compare the original 2 track, but at a "non processed" louder volume.

I noticed that it sounded more open, and the Ozone 9 with processing was more constricted sounding. So I think well, it's got be my over use of compression, etc. More experimenting led me to one by one bypassing the modules I was using within Ozone 9. Bottom line, I discovered that if I have Ozone 9 loaded on the stereo bus (using Cubase 10 for mastering), even if I have the modules bypassed, it "Constricts" the sound.

I wound up only using the maximizer module as a separate plugin, coupled with a couple other separate plugins, to achieve the desired results.

Shouldn't Ozone 9 have zero effect IF there are no modules active? Has anyone else experienced this? Clearly I have more experimenting to do.

Marc
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Did Ozone 9 list "Constriction" in the product release notes by chance? I am really perplexed now.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
You can confirm your findings using a null test. Have copy channel, put Ozone modules in bypass, flip polarity on one and see what is left.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

What do you mean by constricted? Like, in terms of stereo width, or just generally kind-of over-compressed?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Verified Member
There certainly is a difference in sound between Ozone 8 and Ozone 9. Not quite sure what it is but a "difference". I noticed it the first time I used it after upgrading. FWIW
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
There certainly is a difference in sound between Ozone 8 and Ozone 9. Not quite sure what it is but a "difference". I noticed it the first time I used it after upgrading. FWIW
The limiter in 8 and 9 null at the same settings. Testing I’ve done at least with the limiter module indicates that it nulls 100% with the source until processing occurs.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
The limiter in 8 and 9 null at the same settings. Testing I’ve done at least with the limiter module indicates that it nulls 100% with the source until processing occurs.
OK but something still sounds "different". Not sure what it is or whether it is bad or good just "different", FWIW
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
OK but something still sounds "different". Not sure what it is or whether it is bad or good just "different", FWIW
Null is the same scientifically. I thought it was different at first, but I realized I wasn't matching settings perfectly.

Music rebalance is enormously useful with amateur mixes.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashinbatman View Post
What do you mean by constricted? Like, in terms of stereo width, or just generally kind-of over-compressed?
Yes, kind of an over compressed sound, but different somehow...which is why I struggled trying to explain it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search