The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Project/Mastering room
Old 4 weeks ago
New Gear for Mixing and Mastering room

Hi i'm currently building a new project mastering room and i need to buy some gear.
Mainly i'm working on electronic, hip-hop, pop music I did a huge research and ended up with these options:

ADAC:
Apogee Symphony MK2 2x6SE
or
Lynx Hilo
(Considering also Dangerous Music ADC/DAC but is a bit over my budget)

Monitors:
Focal Trio 6BE or KH120 or ATC SCM25A

2-BUS:
Tegeler Audio Creme
and
Dangerous Music 2BUS+
or Silver Bullet

My current setup: Apollo Twin MK2 Quad, Focal Alpha65. Treated 3m x 4m x 2.72m

I would appreciate some opinions, and ideas to help me, as you know it is tough with all that great gear around us and so many choices. Thanks.

Last edited by NekstMusick; 3 weeks ago at 09:19 AM.. Reason: detailed titled
Old 3 weeks ago
No one? I should think of writing more catchy titles next time
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Verified Member
IMHO Acoustics first and then the gear. Works about 99% of the time.

FWIW
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
IMHO Acoustics first and then the gear. Works about 99% of the time.

FWIW
Thanks for your answer, the room is getting treated fully.
The only think I'm struggling is to pull the trigger specially on monitors, converters and maybe a 2bus processor, so many choices nowadays and I would appreciate some opinions and experienced knowledge from owners and longtime users.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Verified Member
All good choices. Speakers are a very personal decision so I guess it is up to you decide what is the best option and the one you can live with for a long time. Good reviews here https://www.gearslutz.com/board/dang.../2-bus-g26149/ and here https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews...nufaktur-creme

Let us know what you finally decide to buy.

If possible TRY before you BUY on any big purchases especially speakers. What one reviewer thinks may not necessarily be what you think. FWIW
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
All good choices. Speakers are a very personal decision so I guess it is up to you decide what is the best option and the one you can live with for a long time. Good reviews here https://www.gearslutz.com/board/dang.../2-bus-g26149/ and here https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews...nufaktur-creme

Let us know what you finally decide to buy.

If possible TRY before you BUY on any big purchases especially speakers. What one reviewer thinks may not necessarily be what you think. FWIW
Thanks for your time Thomas, unfortunately I would have to travel to test some speakers and I'm currently really busy. I've read and checked numerous of reviews and others sources, while I keep always informed I also did an extensive research lately. So I guess as a final step I have to choose and buy what my instinct tells me, I can't go really wrong with speakers and converters, as I have really narrowed down my choices. (probably the Trios and Apogee Symphony MK2 2+6SE) As for other outboard gear I will have to buy and return if I don't like something, so I ll have to delay that purchase for a while, but I think I'll go first with 2Bus+.
Old 3 weeks ago
Any of that gear will work...but what is best for you depends on your aesthetic/workflow. If possible, you should try to demo all these options in your room to see how they work with you and the space. Don't get demos of everything at the same time...you'll likely just confuse yourself!

Monitoring would be my first decision, after room treatment this will be most important. The KH120s don't go low enough, perhaps you meant the KH310A? With both the 120's and ATCs you will likely want a sub. You currently use Focals, so I might start with the Trio 6BE...the specs look better than the others, at least for a little more low frequency info, and they have some eq options that might help them translate/perform better in your small room.

ADAC - I use a Hilo and love it. But maybe you will prefer the tone and function of the Apogee...or should save up and get the Dangerous. But you can't know till you try them. The Apollo will get you by while you demo these other options and/or save up for the Dangerous.

Have you considered picking up some kind of room testing and/or correction software? It will at least given you an idea of what's "wrong" with your room and help you figure out if you need to add more treatment, move things around for better translation etc. What kind of desk will you be using? What other furniture is in the space? Will you be doing attended sessions and need a couch and table? Those things might make more of an immediate impact vs a piece of outboard.

After all that is settled and you've had the chance to work on masters using plugins, you'll see how they translate and get a feel for what you think might be "missing" or would help in your daily workflow. Then you can start demoing some outboard.

If I could go back knowing what I know now, I could've saved thousands...but again, we can't really know till we try things in our day to day workflow. You might be stoked on a piece of outboard you demo for a week and buy it, but a year later realize it's not the best fit or doesn't work for everything you thought it might as your skills and workflow change. So you keep it for a specific duty or post it for sale and try some other pieces. Don't get hung up thinking you need a bunch of expensive outboard right out of the gate. Get your room and monitoring solid. Test it and get your rig set up so it's translating well, things will more easily fall into place after that. Have fun and good luck on the new adventure!
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir hills View Post
Any of that gear will work...but what is best for you depends on your aesthetic/workflow. If possible, you should try to demo all these options in your room to see how they work with you and the space. Don't get demos of everything at the same time...you'll likely just confuse yourself!

Monitoring would be my first decision, after room treatment this will be most important. The KH120s don't go low enough, perhaps you meant the KH310A? With both the 120's and ATCs you will likely want a sub. You currently use Focals, so I might start with the Trio 6BE...the specs look better than the others, at least for a little more low frequency info, and they have some eq options that might help them translate/perform better in your small room.

ADAC - I use a Hilo and love it. But maybe you will prefer the tone and function of the Apogee...or should save up and get the Dangerous. But you can't know till you try them. The Apollo will get you by while you demo these other options and/or save up for the Dangerous.

Have you considered picking up some kind of room testing and/or correction software? It will at least given you an idea of what's "wrong" with your room and help you figure out if you need to add more treatment, move things around for better translation etc. What kind of desk will you be using? What other furniture is in the space? Will you be doing attended sessions and need a couch and table? Those things might make more of an immediate impact vs a piece of outboard.

After all that is settled and you've had the chance to work on masters using plugins, you'll see how they translate and get a feel for what you think might be "missing" or would help in your daily workflow. Then you can start demoing some outboard.

If I could go back knowing what I know now, I could've saved thousands...but again, we can't really know till we try things in our day to day workflow. You might be stoked on a piece of outboard you demo for a week and buy it, but a year later realize it's not the best fit or doesn't work for everything you thought it might as your skills and workflow change. So you keep it for a specific duty or post it for sale and try some other pieces. Don't get hung up thinking you need a bunch of expensive outboard right out of the gate. Get your room and monitoring solid. Test it and get your rig set up so it's translating well, things will more easily fall into place after that. Have fun and good luck on the new adventure!
Thanks for your great response and insights!! The room has been planned with an acoustician and the build is finished, treatment is nearly maxed for the space, except the option for any tuned traps in the future. I currently own Sonarworks and will do measurements with it and REW. Everything about the room is planned for my needs atm.

About the speakers yes I meant KH310A, sorry for the confusion. Demoing at the country I am currently can be tricky but I will try. About Hilo it was my first option but it was also the only ADAC I heard some complains about the sound, but I know i should take that with a grain of salt.

I used to work on another half treated room for many years, so I d like to finally step up with some outboard for workflow reasons and some imaging and colouring options. I checked a few options with accessanalog service for a while. Tegeler Cream seems a great option for it's price and many people praise it, SB on the other hand is not the easiest decision with the unknown/unpredictable custom taxes etc I could end up having to pay.

I know what you mean I have spend thousands as well, thankfully I only have a few regrets.
I'll try to be a little patient with it, and go step by step but after all these years waiting can be difficult
Thanks again!!
Old 3 weeks ago
Sounds like you're on a solid path!

I really love the HILO, solid workhorse, but haven't tried it against anything other than an Apollo MKII Twin and an Old FW Ensemble in the last 5-6 years. It's obviously a little more open/detailed with better imaging than those two units. I've used an early model Symphony at a local tracking studio years ago and liked it...had more of a "tone" vs the HILO...subtle mid-range color or something. I think there's always going to be shortcomings with any equipment, maybe one converter represents lows or highs better or imaging is wider, deeper, and more engaging on another...but we're also adaptable. Demo what you can, but also know that once you're in a range of quality, there's lots of great options, pick something that feels right and ticks the most needs for you and learn how to work with it.

Again, since you're already familiar with the "Focal" sound, I'd go with the Trio 6BE of your listed options.

I haven't used the Tegeler unit, but I can't speak highly enough about the Silver Bullet. I recently sold mine and miss it, but am going through some life/business changes and am letting go of quite a few pieces. Of all the outboard I've owned over the years, the Silver Bullet is the one I would pick if I could only have one piece to augment digital options. Lots of tonal range in the saturation section and the filters and shelves are well chosen/react amazingly well with most any source material. I often would choose it over an outboard compressor/eq combo or multiple plugins trying to create some vibe, like tape emulation, saturation etc...I could just get where I wanted more easily. I hear you on buying out of country, potentially a lot of hassle. With the SB, I'm sure if you weren't thrilled it would be easy to sell in your area with little loss financially.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir hills View Post
Sounds like you're on a solid path!

I really love the HILO, solid workhorse, but haven't tried it against anything other than an Apollo MKII Twin and an Old FW Ensemble in the last 5-6 years. It's obviously a little more open/detailed with better imaging than those two units. I've used an early model Symphony at a local tracking studio years ago and liked it...had more of a "tone" vs the HILO...subtle mid-range color or something. I think there's always going to be shortcomings with any equipment, maybe one converter represents lows or highs better or imaging is wider, deeper, and more engaging on another...but we're also adaptable. Demo what you can, but also know that once you're in a range of quality, there's lots of great options, pick something that feels right and ticks the most needs for you and learn how to work with it.

Again, since you're already familiar with the "Focal" sound, I'd go with the Trio 6BE of your listed options.

I haven't used the Tegeler unit, but I can't speak highly enough about the Silver Bullet. I recently sold mine and miss it, but am going through some life/business changes and am letting go of quite a few pieces. Of all the outboard I've owned over the years, the Silver Bullet is the one I would pick if I could only have one piece to augment digital options. Lots of tonal range in the saturation section and the filters and shelves are well chosen/react amazingly well with most any source material. I often would choose it over an outboard compressor/eq combo or multiple plugins trying to create some vibe, like tape emulation, saturation etc...I could just get where I wanted more easily. I hear you on buying out of country, potentially a lot of hassle. With the SB, I'm sure if you weren't thrilled it would be easy to sell in your area with little loss financially.
I totally agree with you, about gear we adapt quickly and one unit can compliment another one's shortcomings so you never know especially when we talk about such minor details. I'll make up my mind and by the end of this month I will have my first gear.

I might wait and go for the SB at the end as I loved what I've heard from it and everybody seems to love it. I hope all the changes you are going through are going to end up good for you, and for the better.

Thanks for your useful advice, you know sometimes all we need is some dialogue to realise better our needs and externalise our thoughts so we can see more clear.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search