The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How much silence are you leaving at the start of tracks?
Old 5th November 2019
How much silence are you leaving at the start of tracks?

Typically I leave around 15-20 CD frames silence at the beginning of tracks, unless there is a very quick transition, but I've noticed a few requests for more from clients recently, due to the start of trakcs being cut off. As always with playback issues, the culpit seems to be Soundcloud.

So, what are your standards? 1 second feels way too long to me.
Old 5th November 2019
Lives for gear
~300ms
Old 5th November 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraggs View Post
~300ms
Thanks. Not disimmilar to me, then, though a tiny bit longer. My suspicion is that my usual way is fine, and that this is driven by clients uploading tracks (self-mastered or mastered elsewhere) that have no lead-in time at all.
Old 5th November 2019
Gear Guru

FYI, those of us who do things where we need to live-trigger tracks really hate dead air at the beginning of them. 20 frames (:00.27-ish) is enough that for anything critical, I'd need to import it into an editor and chop the top.
Old 5th November 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
FYI, those of us who do things where we need to live-trigger tracks really hate dead air at the beginning of them. 20 frames (:00.27-ish) is enough that for anything critical, I'd need to import it into an editor and chop the top.
Thanks. If people request no dead air I do of course provide that, but my default stance is to provide something that the client can play, on all common platforms, without any embarrasing surprises.
Old 5th November 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocratic Mastering View Post
... my default stance is to provide something that the client can play, on all common platforms, without any embarrasing surprises.
I get that.

Those platforms being internet, or cheap players, or...? Most everything I work on as a mixer gets mastered by someone else. But before stuff gets that far it often gets burned to a CD so the client can "check" it by driving around in a daze and not paying attention to traffic. I've never put any dead air at the top, and have never had anyone say something was upcut.

Tryin' to learn, here...
Old 5th November 2019
Lives for gear

200ms. That equates to ~15 CD frames. This avoids CD "un-mute" delay when a track is selected manually on a CD player. Feels right too. Even if the project is not being released on CD I do this (except for tracks with a seamless track transition) as the digital tracks can always end up burned to a CD. Good habit to get into. Been doing this since I started my studio and never had a revision based on the top of a track getting cut off via any player, digital media based or otherwise.
Old 5th November 2019
Quote:
I get that.

Those platforms being internet, or cheap players, or...? Most everything I work on as a mixer gets mastered by someone else. But before stuff gets that far it often gets burned to a CD so the client can "check" it by driving around in a daze and not paying attention to traffic. I've never put any dead air at the top, and have never had anyone say something was upcut.

Tryin' to learn, here...
It’s mostly only very old CD players that have a problem. I have also had some say it’s an issue on Soundcloud, but I haven’t taken the time to verify it.
Old 5th November 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
It’s mostly only very old CD players that have a problem. I have also had some say it’s an issue on Soundcloud, but I haven’t taken the time to verify it.
I see this thing happen on Soundcloud a lot where it'll get a few seconds into a track, stop, regroup, and start over. But it gets a good ways in, not just a fraction of a second.
Old 5th November 2019
Quote:
I see this thing happen on Soundcloud a lot where it'll get a few seconds into a track, stop, regroup, and start over. But it gets a good ways in, not just a fraction of a second.
That might be it. To be honest when clients request something like a second’s lead-in (which is rare, tbh) I usually just provide it without asking too many questions unless I am having a slow day.
Old 5th November 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
That might be it. To be honest when clients request something like a second’s lead-in (which is rare, tbh) I usually just provide it without asking too many questions...
I would too. Maybe one second is how long it takes to get sat back on the couch.
Old 6th November 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
usally about half second for me.

i’ve noticed some bluetooth players take a little while to unmute,

and can chop off the downbeat.

but i’ve been leaving the air gap for 30 years, compensating for various older playback systems too.

occasionally i get a mix where the mixer guy has gotten a little overly assertive with editing the downbeat, and chops out the air gap and trucates it.

i recently had to ask for a natural uneditied downbeat for a Cd mastering job.

yadda yadda yadda... ad infinitum....

jt
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Min. 150 ms here too.
I experimented with some gear and came to this result.
And as mentioned before, some clients ask for longer silence at the beginning. This is supposed to "get the listener set" before the track starts More common in classical, calm music. I think it works!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

As much as the tracks call for.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

200ms
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Used to be 100ms-ish, now longer (150-200-ish) typically if I can get away with it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
10 cd frames

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search