The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Quality stereo widening
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quality stereo widening

Hello everyone,

Question - I am looking for a quality stereo widening tool.
First - I don't normally go to stereo widening, actually more often narrowing, since I find many mixes to be what I refer to as "sunk in" meaning the center (kick, snare, vocals etc.) to be too far back in the sound stage.
Of course getting that balance good combined with eq on the sides will often solve it. That will more times than not actually sound wider even though it is technically not. You know bla bla bla.
However - sometimes customers do request quite heavy stereo widening (regardless of my opinion). I have found some that do sound quite good like the brainworx masterdesk stereo widening but since I do master analog (maselec, gyratec etc) I do not want to go thru a fake analog stage (like masterdesk) just for the stereo widening. I find many modern plugins like the Ozone stuff to be heavyhanded and artificially sounding. Do any of you have a tip for a good quality widener (that's not just an M/S balance tool)?

Cheers,
A
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicinthemaking View Post
Hello everyone,

Question - I am looking for a quality stereo widening tool.
First - I don't normally go to stereo widening, actually more often narrowing, since I find many mixes to be what I refer to as "sunk in" meaning the center (kick, snare, vocals etc.) to be too far back in the sound stage.
Of course getting that balance good combined with eq on the sides will often solve it. That will more times than not actually sound wider even though it is technically not. You know bla bla bla.
However - sometimes customers do request quite heavy stereo widening (regardless of my opinion). I have found some that do sound quite good like the brainworx masterdesk stereo widening but since I do master analog (maselec, gyratec etc) I do not want to go thru a fake analog stage (like masterdesk) just for the stereo widening. I find many modern plugins like the Ozone stuff to be heavyhanded and artificially sounding. Do any of you have a tip for a good quality widener (that's not just an M/S balance tool)?

Cheers,
A
Try, Precision K-Stereo Ambience Recovery (UAD)
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Aaaa. Yeah, that's a good idea. Will do! I remember many years ago when it was launched, but I've never tried it or really heard someone talk about it since. Do you use it?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Aaaa. Yeah, that's a good idea. Will do! I remember many years ago when it was launched, but I've never tried it or really heard someone talk about it since. Do you use it?
Yes, as it is not too invasive....
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Good point. ;-)

The trouble sometimes is, some customers don't have their heads in the subtle widening game... So, sometimes not-so-subtle widening is what is needed. But I want the good kind, not the bad kind. ;-) i'll check it out though for sure.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Waves S1...$39. Anything beyond that is a waste of money IMO.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Mathew Lane DrMS. Very intuitive high quality plug-in for widening, narrowing, focusing and more:
https://www.mathewlane.com/downloads/drms/

Or its analog hardware version — OnTheMoon Spacecraft:
https://www.mathewlane.com/spacecraft/
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I like SPL Vitalizer stereo width knob on my masters versus side boost, side eq, side multiband compression/expansion. It is nice option and it is a bit different sound because it's using SPL trick (out of phase stereo information mixed back) and you can get really wide without "phasy" artifacts and weak mono sound. Of course sometimes i use different process but this SPL stuff is my favorite for 10 years already.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by protools View Post
Try, Precision K-Stereo Ambience Recovery (UAD)
It's quite bad in my opinion. It's based around delay and you can clearly hear delay artifacts on drums in a track in mid channel especially. Just my own experience with this plug-in. Algorithmix version of this plug-in actually a bit better.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

StereoSavage isn't well known, but it should be IMO.

It has four types of common widening methods, mid-side, modulation, a simple interface, and great sound.

http://www.credland.net/stereosavage/
Old 2 weeks ago
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyflip View Post
Seconded! I was just about to add this one. Great tool!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

try Voxengo MSED and the Stereo Widener, both free...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
In no order

StageOne

Noisebud Leaky2

CenterOne

DMG Multiplicity

Oeksound Spiff (yep)
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

You may want to check Waves Center

For the record I think that the ozone stereoizer
is probably the best tool across the board.
Old 2 weeks ago
The Imager in Ozone 9 has a good feature for keeping the low frequencies mono whilst adding width to the others. The lissajous meter is also very useful.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I also forgot ircam flux spat which can manipulate depth and
width in very realistic and hi-def manner.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If you want more width while remaining mono compatible give this a try: https://www.raisingjakestudios.com/plugins.html

Last edited by Nonlinear; 1 week ago at 12:36 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
i prefer encoding to m/s first and then use whatever tool to affect stereo width (mostly allpass filters) - all hardware here...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The Knif Eksa is my current favorite method for M/S. I rarely think music needs a full level boost or cut in M/S. If anything maybe it’s just frequency specific, and I’ll be damned if I have ever heard a finer EQ. To date it’s the most satisfying piece of outboard I’ve had or heard, and that applies to getting in and out of M/S also.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

bx_digital V3 at 140% is the ticket
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Infected Mushroom Wider. And it's $Free.99

https://polyversemusic.com/products/wider/
Old 1 week ago
Soundcraft stereo input modules have those in analog. Full left = mono. Center is stereo. Full right is "wide" using phase cancellation. It does wonders on a Bricasti M7 reverb, makes it wrap around your head. Plus it's analog so no degradation.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKosherButcher View Post
Infected Mushroom Wider. And it's $Free.99

https://polyversemusic.com/products/wider/
This gets a bit flangy the more you push the percentage.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

M/S
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Of course getting that balance good combined with eq on the sides will often solve it. That will more times than not actually sound wider even though it is technically not.
Regular EQ alone will usually be enough, by default. Especially if most stereo / wider cues are in deficient areas of the spectrum (eg: mids, tops).
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dempsey View Post
Regular EQ alone will usually be enough, by default. Especially if most stereo / wider cues are in deficient areas of the spectrum (eg: mids, tops).
+1

M/S EQ is massively over-used, in my opinion. In most circumstances regular stereo EQ will get the job done just fine, without the weirdness and balances changes that often come with M/S manipulation.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Yup! M/S processing is to modern production what big reverb was to 80’s production.
Old 12 hours ago
Gear Addict

So now stereo widening plays into fashion as to how it is done? M/S is fine and what I use. We could on and on beating what is essentially a dead horse topic. Wait ...this is GS, ..resume.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search