The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Are Weiss products worth the "hassle"?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Are Weiss products worth the "hassle"?

Hello all,

I'm looking for a clean EQ (and compressor as mentioned in another recent post) that doesn't "change the sound" much at all i.e. is transparent.

As for clean EQs, the Weiss seems to be one of the biggest insider "tricks of the trade" in the mastering world. In top-end mastering studios they're ubiquitous and clearly very prestigious. I've read all I can about them on Gearslutz.

I want to ask if Weiss owners truly think it's "worth it" for a start-up mastering service like myself to invest in this gear. Firstly – for me (!) – they're expensive. Secondly, to accommodate digital-only gear in my chain I would need to get a new card for my audio interface. And, that also means sacrificing 16 analogue outs which I use for analogue summing (I use 32 channels currently). Thirdly, I can envisage myself requiring some sort of warming device to counter the digital vibe of the Weiss such as a Crane Song Quantum (another expense? But perhaps that's just the addict/slut in me talking).

I currently have a Massive Passive mastering (which is just incredible) and a Curve Bender (which is a very esoteric and powerful beast), which are fine for my own personal experiments, but aren't quite enough for the client-side of mastering. My other option is the MEA-2. I have demoed this unit. It is very clean, and seems to be at the limit of what an Analogue EQ can do in terms of precision, Q, etc. It's much more precise than my current EQs but it does impart its own analogue tinge/warmth (albeit more subtly), and I feel I already have enough analogue mojo as it is. The MEA-2 obviously isn't as precise as the Weiss (in terms of Q; etc.), but would fit more easily into my chain.

Looking forward to your thoughts on this.

I/O
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
I am not an ME, but a composer. I recently picked up a Weiss EQ, and the first thing I noticed is that it is extremely clean. It's not a piece of gear I will use a hell of a lot, but I am still happy with it.

The Q is such that you can get the bandwidth down to less than a single note/pitch. Be warned, however, you can not dial in any freq you want; there is a limitation there.

Cheers.
Old 2 weeks ago
Get the Softube Weiss port of the EQ and try it? I use it extensively (mostly pre-analog) in my mastering chain. I don't think you need the hardware to do what it does now there's a software version of it. In fact it will probably complicate things trying to work an outboard hardware digital EQ into your analog chain.

EDIT: Oops, thought you were talking about the DS1-MK3! I think we’re still all waiting for the software port of the EQ.

Last edited by rollmottle; 2 weeks ago at 07:06 AM.. Reason: Reading comprehension
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollmottle View Post
Get the Softube Weiss port of the EQ and try it? I use it extensively (mostly pre-analog) in my mastering chain. I don't think you need the hardware to do what it does now there's a software version of it. In fact it will probably complicate things trying to work an outboard hardware digital EQ into your analog chain.
This is an interesting suggestion. This opens up another thread essentially — what is better about the hardware than the software. What’s particularly relevant about this question here is that, unlike nearly all other hardware EQs popular with mastering engineers, the Weiss is solely digital. So if it sounds better; how exactly and why? Having a dedicated chipset solely for EQ as opposed to software which has to be designed around the computer might have something to do with it? And I was reading an interview with Weiss where he talks about some 40-Bit tech inside.

Any engineers here with any opinion on this please?

EDIT: Turns out there’s no software Weiss EQ! Only compressor.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollmottle View Post

EDIT: Oops, thought you were talking about the DS1-MK3! I think we’re still all waiting for the software port of the EQ.
when exactly did Softube port the Weiss EQ? I'm only aware of the DS-MK3 comp/de-esser/limiter bundle.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Haven’t used the Weiss, but here are a lot of great software EQs available now. Many mastering guys are using Fabfilter, DMG, etc.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I only know of their compressor and limiter as a plugin. They say they worked with Weiss and it's the same code, so should be the same as the hardware unit in theory.

I do think it sounds great and doesn't damage the audio like so many plugs do to my ear.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Verified Member
I have had my Weiss EQ1 MKII for a number of years. It is AMAZING. Best money I have spent. Just mastering music through it makes it sound better and I use it a lot for restoration work. Highly recommended. Daniel said in a recent interview that he will not be porting over the EQ1 to software anytime soon, but of course things can change. FWIW
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastervargas View Post
when exactly did Softube port the Weiss EQ? I'm only aware of the DS-MK3 comp/de-esser/limiter bundle.
They didn’t. You missed my edit.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Daniel said in a recent interview that he will not be porting over the EQ1 to software anytime soon, but of course things can change. FWIW
Wonder why. The DS1 port is phenomenal. Even with all the computing power and latency compensation these days, integrating an outboard digital processor still seems challenging. Add in analog hardware to the mix and it seems even more challenging.

Would love to have a dedicated control surface for the DS1 plugin though. That would make it truly invaluable.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search