The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Kanye West - Jesus Is King Mastering?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Kanye West - Jesus Is King Mastering?

Hello fellow mastering engineers. I just wanted to know what you think of the mastering on the new Kanye Album Jesus Is King?

I know mike dean mastered it and he's supposed to be one of the best but I'm really disappointed. I think that the level matching is fine but why does he always overclip the limiter?

The album is distorting pretty badly in some parts. He did the same thing in the astroworld album by travis scott.

What do you guys think? Am I just overreacting?
Old 2 weeks ago
DAH
Lives for gear

Didnt listen to it thoroughly, but I am sure Mike will respond with.something like "it's mike dean, it sounds right, **** u hatazzz!"
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
Didnt listen to it thoroughly, but I am sure Mike will respond with.something like "it's mike dean, it sounds right, **** u hatazzz!"
I just don’t get it. I mean at the end of the day I respect and acknowledge him as one of hip-hops greatest.

But he keeps on doing this over-clipped distorted mastering stuff on big artists records and it sounds horrible. Just my two cents I guess but maybe I’m just being a grumpy engineer guy.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Is it known that the mixes weren't approved and supplied that way?
In any case, you can bet that the final masters were approved.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dempsey View Post
Is it known that the mixes weren't approved and supplied that way?
In any case, you can bet that the final masters were approved.
Mike Dean is also the mixer of tracks number 2 to 4 and 6 to 11 (w/ Jess Jackson) according to Wikipedia.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

It’s not the mixing of the album that bugs me honestly. It’s not even the overall frequency balance of the album. It’s just the distortion that’s being caused by the overpushed limiter.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Noticed this yesterday, also, the highs are hyped in a weird way and the stereo is all over the place.
Its common knowledge in the “hip hop community” (trap?) that Mike Dean is half deaf now, i just don't understand how the entire team would let this pass (yeah, because it's Mike Dean).
Both this and Madonna album (which he mixed) are near unlistenable.
He’s still a hell of a producer...

Last edited by casiotone; 2 weeks ago at 01:28 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search