The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Wavelab 10, the major update nobody is talking about.
Old 15th October 2019
Wavelab 10, the major update nobody is talking about.

Following some links here and there, looks like a WL10 Pro is near to be released and already pre released to random testers. But no clue on Steinberg official website about any of the update contents. On YT only useless clips about old stuff available in 9.5 and useless interview about generic mastering stuff. Is a great way to launch a major update. I hope is not a leap from 1995 to 1997.
Old 15th October 2019
Gear Guru

Verified Member
1 Review written
Steinberg has always been tight lipped about release dates and upgrades. I guess this is no different. Lots of people on the Wavelab forum have asked for various things to be added to WL10 including full multitrack capabilities. From what I have seen on line it is unclear if this will be implemented. One thing is for sure WL is still, IMHO, the best DAW for mastering and restoration. I guess we should ALL "stay tuned" for further developments. The AES is in NY this week so maybe WL10 will be announced at that time. Here's hoping...FWIW
Old 15th October 2019
downloading... around 80€ upgrade from 9.5
Old 15th October 2019
Deleted 49af092
Steinberg is rolling out some promo stuff today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGIH203jdkE
Old 15th October 2019
Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear

WaveLab web page seems to indicate that, for windows machines, Windows 10 is required.
Is this true?

I am on 7 and have no desire to go to 10.
Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear

Same here.

Where did you see that? I can't find the system requirements for wl10 anywhere.
Old 15th October 2019
Gear Nut

The system requirements are on the system requirements page. Apparently, there's an error and the WaveLab heading invisible.

So, yes, Windows 10 only. But, frankly, Win10 is fine. There are a handful of things that you should do during the out of box setup or via group policy to disable telemetry, store, xbox integration, etc.. It's kind of ridiculous. But, the information is out there.

Win 7 is going End of Life in January anyway, so you've only got a couple months of security updates left. It's time.

It's also available on the store.

Can WL10 and 9.5 coexist? You know, just in case?
Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks. That is too bad, my studio computer is rock solid and I'm loathe to change anything.

According to the talk on FB, wl10 is a separate install to 9.5, so no problem there.
Old 15th October 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraggs View Post
Thanks. That is too bad, my studio computer is rock solid and I'm loathe to change anything.

According to the talk on FB, wl10 is a separate install to 9.5, so no problem there.
Awesome.

And, I get that. But, I've actually been relatively happy with Win10, even after years of OS X and Linux. There are weird things and things I hate, but stability has not been a problem. I still vastly prefer *nix, just not Apple anymore. Win 10 is a fine compromise to run real audio applications.

MS has pushed out some very stupid updates that broke things. Following the semi-annual channel (not targeted) and setting it to delay feature updates avoids basically all of the problems people have found over the last year or so until they're fixed. But, I also had an MCSE friend available during the install to remove a lot of the BS and define a Group Policy that blocks even more. For example, there is no way to start Cortana on my computer.

If anyone's interested, I'll work with him writing a more generic procedure. It was based on the decrapifier script from SpcieWorks, but it's simpler. AFAIK, it also has to be done during the installation to be completely effective.
Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear

Ooooo, extended external effects...wonder if this is the version that gets me off PT?!
Old 15th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwick View Post
Ooooo, extended external effects...wonder if this is the version that gets me off PT?!
that old b$tch will never die!
Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear

Extended external effects is very enticing (and long overdue) but I dunno if it's enough to make me redo my whole system.
Old 16th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by moostapha View Post
Win 7 is going End of Life in January anyway, so you've only got a couple months of security updates left.
Not a concern for me. My studio machine has never been on the internet (and it isn't about to). I also run any device which I need to temporarily attach (such as a client's thumb drive) through a virus checker running on a separate windows 10 machine. WL10 is going to have to offer me an awful lot before I will be willing to upend my stable and very comfortable studio machine.
just sayin'...
Old 16th October 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Interesting that Katie is using a Urei 546 parametric!

i gave one to my assistant about 20 years ago.

always happy to see a Revox B77 in use, had one of those as well!

the features of WL-10 looks good, weird that it requires High Sierra for Mac guys.

i like seeing how she’s got it laid out on the screen.

i’m trying to hang back on Sierra!

jt

Last edited by Jerry Tubb; 16th October 2019 at 01:48 PM..
Old 16th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraggs View Post
Extended external effects is very enticing (and long overdue) but I dunno if it's enough to make me redo my whole system.
Same here. Pitching and capturing via WaveLab certainly seems more viable now but I’m yet to be convinced it’s going to replace my finely tuned and tweaked Reaper set up (with WaveLab handing post capture and sequencing duties). However I’ll give it a go as any potential major change in a working workflow doesn’t necessarily happen overnight.
Old 16th October 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
why talk about it? shut up and get back to work!

(cannot remember how long i've been using wavelab: feels like they started out when mac didn't even exist so i don't really get the whining... - if there's something i would wish for, it's that wavelab would be fully integrated into nuendo and then maybe become available as a stand-alone)
Old 16th October 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
Wow, looks like almost a new software from that video preview

Always a good idea to wait for some updates or struggle with some first run bugs
Old 16th October 2019
Cubase has had automation for so mnay years. I find it hard to beleive thst thry still choose not to put automation in Wavelab. The ability for a plug in to be used on just a certain part of a song would be nice. I guess if needed i can always go to Samplitude.
Old 16th October 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
Cubase has had automation for so mnay years. I find it hard to beleive thst thry still choose not to put automation in Wavelab. The ability for a plug in to be used on just a certain part of a song would be nice. I guess if needed i can always go to Samplitude.
No Automations ?! That's a no no for my workflow..
Old 16th October 2019
Here for the gear

was really hoping for smart bypass function on the clip based processing in montage, but still not!
Old 16th October 2019
Lives for gear

I asked PG about Win 7 and he said this:

"I can imagine WaveLab 10 works on Windows 7. But I certainly don't advice to do so.
This is not tested, and the performances will not be as good anyway."
Old 16th October 2019
after some testing, for old [email protected] like me, 10 is a little better but far from resolving major routing issues. They added some kind of busses, nominally a "Reference" buss that can be routed to any connected I/O. Improper use of the Reference track bus may lead to a linear old school "source to destination" real time bounce. The problem is that this Reference alternate buss is not capable of summing so you can route to specific output a single track.
New External efx means you can create different outboard loops but with a permanent, non shared I/O setup. In a mastering context i miss why someone would cascade multiple loops with multiple ADDA. You cannot use that feature to preset combination of ADCs and DACs since any physical out can be used only once also during setup. Say you can't store a "Solaris - Weiss" and a "Solaris - Burl" if Solaris is the same source. The only useful thinking of the efx stuff is about having adistinct analog and digital outboard loops.
Old 16th October 2019
still missing management of multitrack files. Also no DSD DXD.
Old 18th October 2019
Bug

I purchased it from 9.5 and so far so good with the exception of a plug in.

I used the Softube Weiss DS1 plug in- in the master section and it works. I put it in the Clips sections and it does not work. No signal is going through the plug in.

However it version 9.5 it works in both the clips and master section.

Does anyone else find this issue?
Old 18th October 2019
With the reference track, I don't hear it unless I switch the output to Master Section Playback processing. This does not seem right?
Old 18th October 2019
pho
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
I used the Softube Weiss DS1 plug in- in the master section and it works. I put it in the Clips sections and it does not work. No signal is going through the plug in.

However it version 9.5 it works in both the clips and master section.

Does anyone else find this issue?
The DS1 works fine for me, here. Though I do have problems with MeldaProduction (13.0.6). None of their plugins load correctly, all I get is an empty window and audio blanking every couple of seconds, both VST2 and VST3.

Old 18th October 2019
I meant the full version of the plug in.
Old 19th October 2019
Gear Head

Worked for a few hours here, and now audio inputs are broken (no sound coming in to record).
Is this a ‘beta’?
Old 19th October 2019
Lives for gear

Verified Member
1 Review written
Well I guess it's as usual folks, expect some bugs on the first release
📝 Reply