The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RND Master Buss Processor HPF for sidchain
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
RND Master Buss Processor HPF for sidchain

Hello!

I have a RND Portico II master buss processor with the 250Hz sidechain filter. I would like to use an external hpf with more options to better tuning the compressor with the audio material I’m working with. Do you have something to recommend ?

Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

As with any side chain, you'll want something that is flexible—it doesn't need to sound good, its just a way to tune what the compressor is "hearing". I have used many different EQ's laying around the studio.

As discussed here before, and in the MBP manual, make sure you are using an EQ that takes an unbalanced line (otherwise you have to do some creative pre/post gain staging since the signal will be returning too hot if it were a balanced line).

Try anything. I liked using a Rane parametric EQ, normally it's used for tuning a PA system, but it was very flexible in side-chaining the input to the RND. Try any EQ that could suit your needs!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiotales View Post
Hello!

I have a RND Portico II master buss processor with the 250Hz sidechain filter. I would like to use an external hpf with more options to better tuning the compressor with the audio material I’m working with. Do you have something to recommend ?

Thanks!
If you have another set of stereo DA, you can always use a plugin to control the sidechain. I do that with my Buzz Soc 20 to have it just controlling mids and highs.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I use an ART EQ341. 15 band. Unbalanced connectors. Cheap.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tengu View Post
If you have another set of stereo DA, you can always use a plugin to control the sidechain. I do that with my Buzz Soc 20 to have it just controlling mids and highs.
I haven't ever thought to try that. Probably the best way to achieve really any goal you could have for side-chaining the RND or other hardware box.

I have played around with side-chaining it with some effects, which was fun, but I didn't have any real goal in mind—just messing around.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brhoward View Post
I haven't ever thought to try that. Probably the best way to achieve really any goal you could have for side-chaining the RND or other hardware box.

I have played around with side-chaining it with some effects, which was fun, but I didn't have any real goal in mind—just messing around.
It's cheaper, quicker, more control. I have a spare buss set up in mastering that I use just to send a sidechain to my compressors.

I'm using the AES output on my Hilo for connecting to my output so I have a spare set of stereo DA. I can control the level with the monitoring knob. It's great.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search