The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
mastering for vinyl
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

mastering for vinyl

Hello everyone

I’m just gonna make x2 Masterings, one is for a CD and the other for a Vinyl. I did not do a mastering vinyl for ages..so I just wonder about the eq and limit/comp changes to mind about it. Also recommended level to delivery to the lacquer factory. Cheers !
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
I did not do a mastering vinyl for ages..so I just wonder about the eq and limit/comp changes to mind about it.
Same as it always has been
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostolos Siopis View Post
Same as it always has been
Great help.
Old 4 weeks ago
AHM
Here for the gear

Like an MfiT version, but having no brick wall limiter, higher than CD sample rate, and good microdynamics would be much better for vinyl than a typical contemporary crushed-hot digital audio production master. The lacquer mastering engineer can do the hi / lo pass and bass-to-mono groove-compatibility processing if needed. As Sean Davies's friend, Paul van der Jonckheyd, said, 'What the cutting head doesn't like, the ear doesn't like.' So, of course, avoid excessive sibilance and strident hats... (; Otherwise, just make it sound incredibly good, and a nice system will deliver good results.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
This question has been asked and answer many times.

Avoid jagged waveforms from clipping / limiting, be extra careful with HF content like sibilance and harsh HF and print one file per side with timing notes. Don't worry about LF. Level is not important as long as it's not clipping.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

I've always had discussions with vinyl cutters trying to get my masters on vinyl. Main problem nowadays are those extremely loud and hot 808 hihats. We had to change several masters and reduce those hihats with transient dressing so much that the cutter was able to get it on vinyl. But for the client it sucks because the feel of the song is gone with the hihats being treated that way.

Also vocals are so much more open and "harsh" nowadays which I also always run into problems when going for vinyl.

Been growing up with vinyl but also with cassettes. Really don't miss cassettes. Wouldn't miss vinyl also...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Vinly

Well obviously due to the vinyl idiosincracy itself limits few things...and therefore that obligate to adjust some Eq changes . Pushing the Hi freq not a good idea as neither too much bass..I was also wondering about level ..it’ll normalized by the laquer engineer won’t it be?. I also heard about to concentrate the bass energy not further than 150hz..thanks in advance for all your replies

Last edited by Midas; 3 weeks ago at 12:41 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
I also heard about to concentrate the bass energy not further than 150hz..
Best to ignore that oft repeated bad advice. Anyone who is not actually operating the cutting lathe is just guessing what needs to be done to the low end. Leave it to the cutting engineer.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I always do both versions for clients and as well as cut lacquers in house..... but some clients will cut other places/plants/brokers depending where they are located etc.

When I prepare my own vinyl versions I start by dialing back the overall volume needs, checking the sibilance and do the mono checks(listening + check phase meters), Of course I can go back and tweak any audio I mastered and when I supply the client vinyl masters I will use the EE depending on the needs.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Seems this question keeps popping up in 1 form or another about every 2 weeks or so. No limiter, 24bit and take care of the top end leave the rest to the cutting engineer. Always good to discuss with him what's most important to you. One of the reasons why many people still prefer independent cutting studios over factory cut ....keep in mind that more dynamic content can actually end up louder on vinyl than "loud" masters.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
Best to ignore that oft repeated bad advice. Anyone who is not actually operating the cutting lathe is just guessing what needs to be done to the low end. Leave it to the cutting engineer.
Great advice..well phase issue make some sense there with a wide bass panned..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search