The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Embedding Meta data on individual wav files
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Embedding Meta data on individual wav files

Is there anything now for embedding meta data onto wav files like song title, artist,
ISRC code etc. I know you can embed this into a DDP but what about individual wave files?
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Justin P.'s Avatar
 

Verified Member
Embedding metadata in WAV files can be done. However, very few programs/apps can read metadata in WAV files. Don't expect iTunes to display metadata in WAV files.

I use WaveLab to embed the metadata when I render my final masters because it saves me a step. HOFA CD-Burn.DDP.Master can also do it.

I also found this nice standalone app for checking things and doing work outside of WaveLab which is occasionally needed:
https://www.nightbirdsevolve.com/meta/

If you're on Windows, I'm sure there are some Windows options too.

Regarding ISRC in WAV, aside from embedding ISRC as ID3v2 metadata, there is also the EBU suggestion/standard that embeds it in the AXML chunk of the WAV.

WaveLab and HOFA do this as well. Probably Sonoris too.
Old 1 week ago
  #3
thanks I'm on Wave lab but I didn't see a way to put the metadata on individual wav files other than the DDP or PMCD, I saw some editing capabilities but I didn't see that you could embed the ISRC for instance, what am I missing here?
Old 1 week ago
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Shawn Hatfield's Avatar
I personally love the idea that metadata can be embedded in Waves but a few clients have complained about metadata causing upload issues with certain aggregators.
Old 1 week ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Justin P.'s Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
thanks I'm on Wave lab but I didn't see a way to put the metadata on individual wav files other than the DDP or PMCD, I saw some editing capabilities but I didn't see that you could embed the ISRC for instance, what am I missing here?
The easiest way to do it is from the montage. Enter the info first as CD-Text, and then use the Metadata tab in the montage to transpose the CD-Text to metadata.

If you want to start with my preset to get an idea of how it's done, here it is:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/scbs6muooo...Start.dat?dl=0

Open your metadata tab presets menu, choose "Organize Presets" to see where this is stored on your computer, and then drop my preset file in there.

When you choose my preset you'll see some basic fields populated in the various metadata areas.

Then when you render WAV or mp3 from the montage, it the files will have this info. You can customize as needed, and even add the art.

The value of metadata in WAV files right now today is debatable but I do it for futureproofing and to be thorough.

I've only had one client come back and tell me there was an issue. He was somehow submitting a song direct to iHeartMedia and they rejected it due to metadata. CD Baby/Tunecore/DistroKid etc. seem OK with it.
Old 1 week ago
  #6
Lives for gear
 
FabienTDR's Avatar
 

Verified Member
Main problem isn't the embedding of meta-data, it's the lack of a widely supported standard. Most applications will simply ignore or even erase this data. It's incredibly unreliable.

A great format for delivery of all sorts is FLAC, has excellent meta-data support.
Old 1 week ago
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
Is there anything now for embedding meta data onto wav files like song title, artist,
ISRC code etc. I know you can embed this into a DDP but what about individual wave files?
Pyramix embeds ISRC into BWFs made using album publish.
Still relying on naming structure to include metadata info, though.
Old 1 week ago
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin P. View Post
The easiest way to do it is from the montage. Enter the info first as CD-Text, and then use the Metadata tab in the montage to transpose the CD-Text to metadata.

If you want to start with my preset to get an idea of how it's done, here it is:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/scbs6muooo...Start.dat?dl=0

Open your metadata tab presets menu, choose "Organize Presets" to see where this is stored on your computer, and then drop my preset file in there.

When you choose my preset you'll see some basic fields populated in the various metadata areas.

Then when you render WAV or mp3 from the montage, it the files will have this info. You can customize as needed, and even add the art.

The value of metadata in WAV files right now today is debatable but I do it for futureproofing and to be thorough.

I've only had one client come back and tell me there was an issue. He was somehow submitting a song direct to iHeartMedia and they rejected it due to metadata. CD Baby/Tunecore/DistroKid etc. seem OK with it.
can you imbed an ISRC there?
Old 1 week ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Justin P.'s Avatar
 

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
can you imbed an ISRC there?
Yes. Read message #2 in this thread.
Old 4 days ago
  #10
Here for the gear
 
miguelmarques's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin P. View Post
I also found this nice standalone app for checking things and doing work outside of WaveLab which is occasionally needed:
https://www.nightbirdsevolve.com/meta/
Meta is great, I’m using it for all things metadata!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump